On 11/14/2018 at 7:36 AM, Annieo Klaas said:

Hi guys!

Right now I'm working on applying to 

RISD-Painting

VCU-Painting

SAIC-Painting

Royal College of Art (London)- Mixed Media Concentration in Textiles major

Manchester Metropolitan University- Embroidery

Is anyone looking into these places or applying to a paining program somewhere else? I'm looking for painting programs in schools that also have good textile departments as well- or as you can see from my list, some experimental textile programs. Good scholarships or full funding is always a huge plus.

My website is www.annieoklaas.com. I would love your feedback!

Annieo

Hey all! I'm also a painter looking for a school with a strong textile program! VCU is at the top of my list. 

I have a long list of schools I might apply to, but right now I'm focusing on UT Austin and UNC Chapel Hill since their priority deadlines are the soonest (mid-December). UNC Chapel Hill isn't as highly ranking, but seems to have solid and exciting interdisciplinary faculty and student work right now. Does anyone know anything much about this program?

I live in Pittsburgh and attended CMU's open house, so if you have any questions, ask away and I'll give you my perspective!

Thanks, everyone!

On 11/14/2018 at 11:42 AM, willennium said:

Hi all! I’m applying for painting to these schools:

UCLA

UC Irvine

University of Minnesota

Rutgers

Tulane

I’m hoping for a 3-year painting program with funding and TA opportunities in or near a good sized city. Anyone have any ideas of other programs like that?

You should check out Georgia State University! Three-year program, all accepted students are funded (full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend), students have TA opportunities, and it's in the heart of downtown Atlanta. There's always something to do: artist talks, gallery openings, screenings, and more, both in the city and through the school. Lots of interdisciplinary opportunities as well if that's something you're interested in. https://artdesign.gsu.edu/graduate/admissions/masters-of-fine-arts-in-studio

I'm a first year MFA student in the Drawing and Painting program and I absolutely love it. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions (melissa@melissahuang.com, or DM me on Insta @melissahuangart).

Hi all! 

I did my BA in Fine Art (2D - Painting) at Central Saint Martins. This is my second time applying for a MFA. 

Last year I applied to several schools for painting. I was wait listed at Cornell and had interviews with Carnegie Mellon and Oxford (Ruskin), however had no luck. I was also rejected from Yale,  SAIC and Columbia. 

This year I plan on applying to more universities in the UK. I was so focused on going to the States that I didn't apply to any UK schools other than Oxford.

I think this year will be my last attempt. I'm feeling nervous but I learnt a lot from last year, so who knows, maybe I'll have more luck this year!

Best,

Jil 

Hi all!

I am interested in applying for an interdisciplinary program (my background is in Painting/Drawing primarily and I want to move into installation based work). However, I am a stumped on schools, honestly. I have narrowed it down to 8 and have absolutely no idea how to cut it down any more. I have been gaping at my list for about a month and a half, so any and all help/feedback you might have on how to slim this baby down or what programs are a crapshoot would be utterly AMAZING. I don't have a lot of feedback from professors/peers because I am in a bit of a vacuum, as I graduated college 3ish years ago, and don't have a big art community around me. 

• University of Chicago
  • University of Oregon
  • Washington State University
  • Rutgers
  • University of Illinois at Chicago
  • Pacific Northwest College of Art
  • Northwestern
  • Pennsylvania State - School of Visual Arts
  • School of Art Institute of Chicago

And my brain keeps trying to throw in Cranbrook, but I get a feeling from their website that they don't offer a lot of financial aid. 

THANK YOU!

On 11/25/2018 at 10:20 AM, artsixteen said:

Hi all! 

I did my BA in Fine Art (2D - Painting) at Central Saint Martins. This is my second time applying for a MFA. 

Last year I applied to several schools for painting. I was wait listed at Cornell and had interviews with Carnegie Mellon and Oxford (Ruskin), however had no luck. I was also rejected from Yale,  SAIC and Columbia. 

This year I plan on applying to more universities in the UK. I was so focused on going to the States that I didn't apply to any UK schools other than Oxford.

I think this year will be my last attempt. I'm feeling nervous but I learnt a lot from last year, so who knows, maybe I'll have more luck this year!

Best,

Jil 

Have you considered SVA and Hunter College?  It's not uncommon to need 2-3 rounds of applications to get into the school you want, especially if you are young and applying to competitive institutions.

Hi All,

I'm an artist based in NYC thinking of applying to the program in NYU this year.

I know everyone is super busy with applications and this isn't exactly what this forum is for but I wanted to let you all know about the Open Call at Field Projects where I intern.  Field Projects is an artist run project space in Chelsea as well as online venue dedicated to helping emerging artists.  The organization really feels to me to be a part of a thriving community of artists here. 

Most of the people they show online and in the gallery come from the open call so if you've begun putting your applications together, think you have some things you want to expose more and feel like this opportunity sounds interesting, I know that FP would love to see your work!

Deadline is DEC 15, more info here:

http://www.fieldprojectsgallery.com/open-call/

https://www.instagram.com/fieldprojects/

Wishing everyone the very best of luck this application season!

Edited by karain

On 11/28/2018 at 3:58 PM, 121212 said:

Have you considered SVA and Hunter College?  It's not uncommon to need 2-3 rounds of applications to get into the school you want, especially if you are young and applying to competitive institutions.

I haven't yet to be honest, but I'll make sure to look into that this time around. Thanks for the advice!

Hello everyone,

My names Jay and I went to VCU for undergrad.  I'm looking to apply to woodworking and furniture MFA programs for next fall. There are a couple design programs that look interesting too.  My list:

• U. W. Madison
  • S.D.S.U.
  • Herron
  • R.I.S.D.
  • S.A.I.C.
  • C.C.A.
  • R.I.T.

Did anyone attend the online portfolio review today?    I would love to hear how it went for other people.  It was my first portfolio review so no way to tell.

instagram

hi all! this is my first go-around and i'm applying for painting and drawing at:

• UCLA
  • UT- Austin
  • CU-Boulder
  • IU-Bloomington
  • U Houston
  • Univ. of North Texas
  • Univ. of Florida

i also attended UT Austin's open house a few weeks back, and am happy to answer questions. i also live in austin so i can talk about the city, campus culture etc.

i did the online portfolio review on friday. it was reassuring and good to talk to admissions people. but i had this weird feeling, because mostly all i received was vague praise, links to faculty they thought i would work well with, and no constructive criticism whatever, that the whole thing is mostly just designed to flatter prospects in hopes that they will be more likely to apply. am i just being neurotic or do you guys think there is truth to that?

the only helpful bit i got was from RISD -- they said to make sure to include pieces from all of my different series even though some are stronger than others, because they are happy to see the risk-taking. not sure how well this applies to other schools, and i'm not applying there, but maybe it's helpful for anyone who is.

Edited by mrz

1 hour ago, mrz said:

hi all! this is my first go-around and i'm applying for painting and drawing at:

• UCLA
  • UT- Austin
  • CU-Boulder
  • IU-Bloomington
  • U Houston
  • Univ. of North Texas
  • Univ. of Florida

i also attended UT Austin's open house a few weeks back, and am happy to answer questions. i also live in austin so i can talk about the city, campus culture etc.

i did the online portfolio review on friday. it was reassuring and good to talk to admissions people. but i had this weird feeling, because mostly all i received was vague praise, links to faculty they thought i would work well with, and no constructive criticism whatever, that the whole thing is mostly just designed to flatter prospects in hopes that they will be more likely to apply. am i just being neurotic or do you guys think there is truth to that?

the only helpful bit i got was from RISD -- they said to make sure to include pieces from all of my different series even though some are stronger than others, because they are happy to see the risk-taking. not sure how well this applies to other schools, and i'm not applying there, but maybe it's helpful for anyone who is.

I did the review too and had a similar experience.   There were a few good conversations that made it worthwhile, but feedback was positive and general sometimes.    I did get some tips for different programs that my be a better fit besides furniture design.  A few people told me to add more video, (my things move) and Vimeo was recommended for my uploads.   A couple schools waived my application fee which definitely made the whole thing worth the effort. 

9 hours ago, mrz said:

• UCLA
  • UT- Austin
  • CU-Boulder
  • IU-Bloomington
  • U Houston
  • Univ. of North Texas
  • Univ. of Florida

Have you started your app for UCLA yet? Have you been able to access the supplemental app?

Hi all! I am so applying for UCLA (painting and drawing). I am wondering if anyone knows how important the personal history statement is. It seems like it is quite similar to the statement of purpose, so I am afraid there would be some repetitive content in both. Even though it is optional, I am still wondering whether it would have any effects on my application if I do not submit one. Is anyone going to submit it?

I cannot open my supplemental application as well, it says I need to check my username and password. I have contacted the department to see how to fix it.

Best wishes to everyone!

5 hours ago, Rennnnn said:

Hi all! I am so applying for UCLA (painting and drawing). I am wondering if anyone knows how important the personal history statement is. It seems like it is quite similar to the statement of purpose, so I am afraid there would be some repetitive content in both. Even though it is optional, I am still wondering whether it would have any effects on my application if I do not submit one. Is anyone going to submit it?

I cannot open my supplemental application as well, it says I need to check my username and password. I have contacted the department to see how to fix it.

Best wishes to everyone!

I’m going to submit the personal statement for mine. It’s required for all of my other apps so I’ll have one written anyway. If it’s optional then idk if they’ll pay much attention to it? Anyone else have insight on this tho?

Does anyone have an inside scoop on the program at University of Illinois Chicago?

Interested digital media: photography, video, new media. I like what the faculty is up to, but haven't heard much about the environment/culture, or the quality of experience and education.

Best!

On 12/4/2018 at 11:46 PM, willennium said:

I’m going to submit the personal statement for mine. It’s required for all of my other apps so I’ll have one written anyway. If it’s optional then idk if they’ll pay much attention to it? Anyone else have insight on this tho?

So it seems that the personal history statement isn’t required for my other apps. I’m super unsure if I should include it now. Would it work against me if I include something that is optional??

13 hours ago, willennium said:

So it seems that the personal history statement isn’t required for my other apps. I’m super unsure if I should include it now. Would it work against me if I include something that is optional??

I saw this same thing on the University of California Irvine site, I would really prefer to include my personal statement but it says to just put 'Personal Statement Not Required for MFA' so I'm not sure if including it would just be annoying for the faculty or if it would help.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:18 AM, arusse said:

Hi all!

I am interested in applying for an interdisciplinary program (my background is in Painting/Drawing primarily and I want to move into installation based work). However, I am a stumped on schools, honestly. I have narrowed it down to 8 and have absolutely no idea how to cut it down any more. I have been gaping at my list for about a month and a half, so any and all help/feedback you might have on how to slim this baby down or what programs are a crapshoot would be utterly AMAZING. I don't have a lot of feedback from professors/peers because I am in a bit of a vacuum, as I graduated college 3ish years ago, and don't have a big art community around me. 

• University of Chicago
  • University of Oregon
  • Washington State University
  • Rutgers
  • University of Illinois at Chicago
  • Pacific Northwest College of Art
  • Northwestern
  • Pennsylvania State - School of Visual Arts
  • School of Art Institute of Chicago

And my brain keeps trying to throw in Cranbrook, but I get a feeling from their website that they don't offer a lot of financial aid. 

THANK YOU!

I honestly just recommend researching researching and researching more. I’ve spent 2 years researching programs before applying and my lists changed quite a lot in that time. There are a lot of factors I consider though and the biggest is available funding. I look at the current and past students, find their websites and have even sent dms through Instagram. All have always been super excited and willing to answer questions and what’s better is that the faculty takes current students opinions into consideration. So if they recognize your name and work you’re more likely to get further. Look at their facilities and definitely research faculty. It’s tempting to try to make a decision based on location or name recognition but I promise the more you research the happier and more confident you will be with your final program decisions. 

On 10/12/2018 at 11:58 PM, MjamesPDX said:

Just got an email from the department head at U of O. For anyone interested in attending their MFA open house, the date is November 7th. You need to RSVP ahead of time, but they will be doing individual reviews and holding a Q+A session with current MFA students. Anyone else planning on attending? Hope to see some of y'all there!

How was the UO open house? Thats a top pick of mine and I'd love to hear about your experience!

Hi! I’m curious if anyone has experience with having to use references outside of just former professors. My undergrad years were a bit broken up with a 4 year gap in the middle and attending a total of 5 institutions before graduating. I graduated nearly 7 years ago with a BA in Film. I’m applying to MFA Painting programs. So I had a difficult time figuring out to use as references. As it is I have a former studio professor who only had me for 1 semester, an Art History professor who had me for 2 consecutive semesters, an employer in the film industry who knows me very well and is also an artist, the owner of a small, local gallery who frequently shows my work, and a fellow artist/mentor. I’m a little worried that this might not be an ideal selection of references. 

And since i know we’re all curious to see where others are applying here’s my list. I’m really casting a wide net here but haven’t been successful at narrowing my list down more:

Carnegie Mellon

Tulane

SAIC

MICA

SMFA

Tyler

UCONN

Yale

RISD

Purchase

Hunter

2 hours ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Hi! I’m curious if anyone has experience with having to use references outside of just former professors. My undergrad years were a bit broken up with a 4 year gap in the middle and attending a total of 5 institutions before graduating. I graduated nearly 7 years ago with a BA in Film. I’m applying to MFA Painting programs. So I had a difficult time figuring out to use as references. As it is I have a former studio professor who only had me for 1 semester, an Art History professor who had me for 2 consecutive semesters, an employer in the film industry who knows me very well and is also an artist, the owner of a small, local gallery who frequently shows my work, and a fellow artist/mentor. I’m a little worried that this might not be an ideal selection of references. 

And since i know we’re all curious to see where others are applying here’s my list. I’m really casting a wide net here but haven’t been successful at narrowing my list down more:

Carnegie Mellon

Tulane

SAIC

MICA

SMFA

Tyler

UCONN

Yale

RISD

Purchase

Hunter

I don't an experience asking references that were not professors but did have trouble.  It felt awkward to even ask because I didn't feel like there was a strong connection with many professors.  I graduated this year but am having trouble finding a third reference.  Some school only require two and I haven't seen any that need more that three, it sounds like you have that.  I may have also read that references should just be associated with the field, not just professors.  In case the gallery owner and the film employer would be fine.

5 hours ago, justaylor said:

I saw this same thing on the University of California Irvine site, I would really prefer to include my personal statement but it says to just put 'Personal Statement Not Required for MFA' so I'm not sure if including it would just be annoying for the faculty or if it would help.

I think for UCI I’m going to do what they say on the site and for UCLA I’ll include it. I was digging through other boards related to film and writing mfa at UCLA and it seems to be a common topic. The consensus seems to be that it can’t hurt to include it. Granted this is for film and screenwriting and not studio art, so it could be different for them

These were some of the boards I looked at:

https://www.filmschool.org/threads/ucla-statement-of-purpose.19181/

https://graduate.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/applying/personal-statement/

Edited by willennium

7 hours ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Carnegie Mellon

Tulane

SAIC

MICA

SMFA

Tyler

UCONN

Yale

RISD

Purchase

Hunter

Your references sound fine to me - did you show them recent work?  My references were older contacts and I sent them images and a draft of my statement so they could see how my work has changes.  Sometimes a short phone call or meeting is good if they have time for it.

On 11/30/2018 at 6:39 PM, J ay said:

Hello everyone,

My names Jay and I went to VCU for undergrad.  I'm looking to apply to woodworking and furniture MFA programs for next fall. There are a couple design programs that look interesting too.  My list:

• U. W. Madison
  • S.D.S.U.
  • Herron
  • R.I.S.D.
  • S.A.I.C.
  • C.C.A.
  • R.I.T.

Did anyone attend the online portfolio review today?    I would love to hear how it went for other people.  It was my first portfolio review so no way to tell.

instagram

Hi Jay!

I went to the online portfolio review as well. It was pretty interesting, and my first one too. I felt like some of the schools with incredibly busy chat rooms didn't have very in depth conversations with me. I accidentally ended up in the chatroom with Mass Art and it was probably one of the most helpful conversations I had simply because they weren't super busy and the reviewer had a lot of time to sit and chat with me about the portfolio.

Alex

Does anyone have any resources on how to reach out to faculty at schools you are interested in? I am not sure where to start. I have lists of faculty members at each school whose work I connect with. However, do you send the email in terms of a general inquiry - "what are your thoughts on xyz" or asking them about a specific facet of the school? I have no idea!