MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

4 hours ago, Ariss said:

Also applied ucla and uac too. Haven't heard a word from them.

I applied to UCLA as well for painting. Expecting they will be doing their phone calls to finalists in the next couple weeks.

Has anyone in painting heard from Rutgers or UC Irvine? So far I’ve had one interview with Austin and felt like it went well. They asked pretty standard questions so I’m guessing they already have an idea of who they want and this was a way to get a vibe off of people. So hard to tell though.

Edited by yessssssss

3 hours ago, Ariss said:

Anybody heard from Risd sculpture dept yet? Haven't heard a word and I think I'm dying. I got an interview from SMFA tufts. Anyone applied SMFA? 

I interviewed with Tufts in 2016 so things may have changed since then but my interview was an extremely informal skype call with one faculty member. I might depend on who you speak to but the interviewer didn't have any prepared questions so we just chatted about my work. Best of luck! 

6 minutes ago, chartblob said:

Anyone apply to/hear from Boulder yet?

Long time listener first time caller here. I applied to Boulder and have not heard back yet. So far I've gotten interview requests from University of Kentucky (already interviewed), SAIC sculpture, and SAIC printmedia. All this waiting is excruciating! 

Hey! I think SAIC has not rolled out all interview letters yet (atleast for Visual Communications). I just recieved this email today :

Hi Pallavi, 

Thank you for your patience as we process a high volume of applications at this time. We will be in touch with you in due course. 

Best, 
Arthur

26 minutes ago, Blahr said:

Long time listener first time caller here. I applied to Boulder and have not heard back yet. So far I've gotten interview requests from University of Kentucky (already interviewed), SAIC sculpture, and SAIC printmedia. All this waiting is excruciating! 

Who interviewed you from UK?? That’s my alma mater!! Love them. It’s a great program. 

21 minutes ago, justaylor said:

Who interviewed you from UK?? That’s my alma mater!! Love them. It’s a great program. 

It was Mia Cinelli and Crystal Gregory. I've only heard great things about Lexington and the program! 

1 hour ago, Blahr said:

It was Mia Cinelli and Crystal Gregory. I've only heard great things about Lexington and the program! 

I grew up in Lexington and it’s incredible. The weather is really unpredictable lol but it’s great. Keeneland is amazing during spring and fall meets and obviously the basketball team! I definitely recommend attending if you get the chance, you won’t regret it :) the Art department moves into a new building my senior year and it’s really amazing and well equipped. 

On 2/2/2019 at 1:07 PM, GummyPegasus said:

I was rejected by Yale for Graphic Design MFA. I’m not really disappointed because of the low acceptance rate.

I thought I had a strong portfolio and reccomendations. In undergrad, my gpa was 3.87 and I double majored in graphic design and interactive media and I’ve had a lot of internship and job experience. I’m thinking maybe my style isn’t what they’re looking for. Looking at their current students work, it looks much more abstract than my work.

Or it could be because I’m freshly out of undergrad. I’m not sure, just speculating.

Now I’m waiting to hear from RISD, Boston University, and MassArt. ?

I studied graphic design at BU for undergrad so if you want any info on the school I’d be happy to help! I loved it there and they have a bunch of new studios now! 

So here's a weird question - what does it mean if I just received a financial aid letter from a school, but I haven't heard anything about the admission decision yet? Especially since I thought this program often awards waivers, yet this offer was all loans. Trying not get my hopes up here.

26 minutes ago, Bodys said:

So here's a weird question - what does it mean if I just received a financial aid letter from a school, but I haven't heard anything about the admission decision yet? Especially since I thought this program often awards waivers, yet this offer was all loans. Trying not get my hopes up here.

If you had FAFSA information sent to the school then it may be related to that?

1 hour ago, yessssssss said:

If you had FAFSA information sent to the school then it may be related to that?

Yeah, I read the email more closely, and I think it's just the financial aid office acting independently from the department - I don't think it means anything about the admission decision!

Still haven't heard from SVA, VCU, MassArt or Columbia College 

Hate that I can't just get a rejection instead of suffering through this silence and getting a rejection way after the acceptances and interviews go out )^:

Hi all. First time applicant. Applied to 4 schools with a painting heavy portfolio. Applied to UC Davis and was offered admission.  

Waiting to hear from...

UCLA 

RUTGERS

University of Washington

Friends of mine have gotten interviews or rejections from northwestern, vcu, tyler, and carnegie Mellon, UC San Diego, uc Davis, yale

Hope this helps.

Edited by Cryptics