MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

On 2/1/2019 at 8:31 PM, Pallavi.Daga said:

Hey! Which are the programs you've applied for?

Hi Pallavi! Saw your signature and found that the only school that we're both applying for is Pratt :D Haven't heard from it yet.

Just had an interview with MCAD which went well (I assume).

I think the main purpose of the interview is to see how my oral English is and whether I can participate in future studies, like doing some critique in class.

Too excited to sleep now!

UT-Austin painting interview went well,  no in-depth specific questions were asked about the work--they just want me to expand on my personal statement. Should here back before March!

21 minutes ago, Zander said:

UT-Austin painting interview went well,  no in-depth specific questions were asked about the work--they just want me to expand on my personal statement. Should here back before March!

I interviewed too! I wonder how many people they interviewed. It seems like they only will be taking maybe 1 or 2 people since they try to keep the cohort small.

24 minutes ago, yessssssss said:

I interviewed too! I wonder how many people they interviewed. It seems like they only will be taking maybe 1 or 2 people since they try to keep the cohort small.

For painting, they said they're taking 3 for sure, but they're trying to see if they can get 4. There are 8 painters currently in the program now.

53 minutes ago, biu said:

Does anybody know when Columbia announces interview or when they usually does? I emailed Admissions and they ignored me :( 

Same here waiting but haven’t heard anything... I remember seeing a post from last year saying a person got called for interview on 02/05...

Getting more anxious :’(

Please do not feel bad about getting rejected from Northwestern, it has an acceptance rate of about 3%, given that last year there were 154 applicants and they only accepted six. They must be looking for very specific applicants if they have to be that selective. It is definitely one of the most competitive programs in the country. Don't loose hope, you'll end up where you need to be! 

Just had my interview with VCU. It was really intimidating. After each of my responses they moved right on to the next question. My friend who went there and has been on interview panels said that they stick to the list of questions for legal reasons so that everyone is asked the same thing. It was awkward because without follow up questions I couldn't tell if they were interested in my answers. I have no sense for how it went and am kinda freaking out haha. I wonder how other people feel about theirs. 

6 minutes ago, painting2019 said:

Just had my interview with VCU. It was really intimidating. After each of my responses they moved right on to the next question. My friend who went there and has been on interview panels said that they stick to the list of questions for legal reasons so that everyone is asked the same thing. It was awkward because without follow up questions I couldn't tell if they were interested in my answers. I have no sense for how it went and am kinda freaking out haha. I wonder how other people feel about theirs. 

Hey! I had mine yesterday and felt the same way; they were nice but we stuck to the script and I feel like I have no sense of how it went. So you're not alone!

Just interviewed with UT Austin (Photo), they were very friendly and definitely looked at my work in-depth. Hard to say how it went, but I was relieved they didn't ask me about my non-art background. They just mentioned that I will hear back from the grad coordinator and I was too shy to ask how long their deliberations will take them?

I wonder how many people they interview since they only accept 2 photographers per year. Did anyone else here interviewed with them for Photo? 

Edited by Meaou

11 minutes ago, Meaou said:

Just interviewed with UT Austin (Photo), they were very friendly and definitely looked at my work in-depth. Hard to say how it went, but I was relieved they didn't ask me about my non-art background. They just mentioned that I will hear back from the grad coordinator and I was too shy to ask how long their deliberations will take them?

I wonder how many people they interview since they only accept 2 photographers per year. Did anyone else here interviewed with them for Photo? 

When I interviewed with painting they said it would be 2-4 weeks because they meet with the whole painting area to discuss candidates, and then they meet with all departments to discuss the whole cohort. So you will probably also hear back in 2-4 weeks. Hope that clears things up a bit!

5 hours ago, madsv said:

has anyone heard from University of Oregon? its my top choice and I'm getting to that point where I am pretty sure I'll just have to try again next year ?

I applied there as well and haven’t heard anything. Though they did spend about 20 minutes on my website yesterday. Not really trying to put too much stock in analytics though, it hasn’t done me any good so far haha 

35 minutes ago, yessssssss said:

When I interviewed with painting they said it would be 2-4 weeks because they meet with the whole painting area to discuss candidates, and then they meet with all departments to discuss the whole cohort. So you will probably also hear back in 2-4 weeks. Hope that clears things up a bit!

They gave my friend who interviewed for painting the same timeline but didn't explain their process. Thank you, this helps! So the waiting game begins. 

1 hour ago, theway said:

Does anybody know when CalArts announces interview or when they usually does?

This doesn't help too much, but a friend of mine in the program said she received her acceptance much later. I'm expecting it to be around March. 

2 hours ago, justaylor said:

I still haven’t heard anything from anyone so not feeling super great ? 

huge congrats to everyone who has or has had interviews! I hope everything goes your way! :) 

Stay positive! I got rejections from Yale and Carnegie, rumor seems to be SAIC and Tyler sent out invites already, so I can basically cross those off as well. I was feeling really down until I got this SMFA interview invite. Something will come for you!

2 hours ago, babsi said:

This doesn't help too much, but a friend of mine in the program said she received her acceptance much later. I'm expecting it to be around March. 

Do you by any chance know if your friend received funding info from CalArts around that time too or did it come later? ?

waiting to hear back from nearly everyone. only heard back from PNCA so far for an interview. glad to have found this forum because i'm suck a wreck over this lmao. it was kind of impulsive timing to apply to grad school this year so i am worried about the success rate---reading this forum, i was surprised to see that so many schools have already started interviews! i haven't seen mention from the schools i applied to (at least departmentally) so it's hard to get a sense---are most requests offered this month? and if you don't get an interview by end of feb, that's it? 

undergrad was such a different experience. ah! 

(waiting to hear from RISD painting---i went to RISD for undergrad so does anyone know the stats for applying twice?---pratt, ucla, emily carr, cca, and sfai. nerve wracking!!!) 

Did anyone else apply to any places with a Feburary 1st deadline? I'm not excited for a second round of waiting lol

I'm waiting on CCCAD, Colorado State, U of Wisconsin - Milkwaukee and MECA that were all due on the 1st.