MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

1 hour ago, justaylor said:

So Im probably just chomping at the bit over here but I just got an email from UCI saying this :

The University of California, Irvine Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has received your 2019-20 financial aid application information.  You will be receiving more detailed information regarding your application in the near future.

In the meantime, if you have not already done so, we encourage you to activate your UCInetID so you may access your financial aid file and information regarding your application.  You will need your UCI Student Identification Number which is: (redacted)

- To activate your UCInetID, visit and click on "Student Applicants."
- Enter the requested information.

We look forward to assisting you in the financial aid process and encourage you to explore the many resources we have on our website.  

Sincerely,

Being that this is the first formal contact I´ve had with any of my schools I know Im probably over analyzing but, thoughts?

I would interpret this as a really good sign. 

I received a decision letter from SAIC today (even though on the letter it writes Feb 01) saying rejected. But they offer me an interview for their Post-Bacc program.

It just once again proves that MFA programs do not want people freshly out of undergrad. I’m graduating 04/2019 but have multiple exhibition experience so I thought maybe I could hope for a miracle...

Does anyone have an experience in a Post-Bacc degree/ have heard about how it works?

Edited by MFApainting2019

23 minutes ago, MFApainting2019 said:

I received a decision letter from SAIC today (even though on the letter it writes Feb 01) saying rejected. But they offer me an interview for their Post-Bacc program.

It just once again proves that MFA programs do not want people freshly out of undergrad. I’m graduating 04/2019 but have multiple exhibition experience so I thought maybe I could hope for a miracle...

Does anyone have an experience in a Post-Bacc degree/ have heard about how it works?

Honestly, I wouldn't take this as a huge negative! I have had a number of friends go on to do post-bacc programs before finally entering an MFA program and they all really enjoyed the extra studio time and experience. Cost wise, I'd be cautious to take on the extra debt if it involves taking out more in student loans.. especially if you plan on applying to an expensive MFA program that doesn't offer full tuition waivers. Maybe the panel just wanted to see what your work would look like a year or two from now? Did you apply to any other programs besides SAIC? Maybe it's just them and another school could have a totally different opinion! Just my two cents :)

Edited by MjamesPDX

2 hours ago, justaylor said:

So Im probably just chomping at the bit over here but I just got an email from UCI saying this :

The University of California, Irvine Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has received your 2019-20 financial aid application information.  You will be receiving more detailed information regarding your application in the near future.

In the meantime, if you have not already done so, we encourage you to activate your UCInetID so you may access your financial aid file and information regarding your application.  You will need your UCI Student Identification Number which is: (redacted)

- To activate your UCInetID, visit and click on "Student Applicants."
- Enter the requested information.

We look forward to assisting you in the financial aid process and encourage you to explore the many resources we have on our website.  

Sincerely,

Being that this is the first formal contact I´ve had with any of my schools I know Im probably over analyzing but, thoughts?

Ive been watching from the sidelines on this forum and not participating, but I got this too.  It seems that there is a seperate category for applicants aside from students...but iunno...I was like whaaaaaat  when i saw the email.  I'm tryna forget about it in the meantime tho

6 hours ago, MjamesPDX said:

Honestly, I wouldn't take this as a huge negative! I have had a number of friends go on to do post-bacc programs before finally entering an MFA program and they all really enjoyed the extra studio time and experience. Cost wise, I'd be cautious to take on the extra debt if it involves taking out more in student loans.. especially if you plan on applying to an expensive MFA program that doesn't offer full tuition waivers. Maybe the panel just wanted to see what your work would look like a year or two from now? Did you apply to any other programs besides SAIC? Maybe it's just them and another school could have a totally different opinion! Just my two cents :)

Thank you so much for the genuine advices!

I’m also applying to other MFA programs and some of them have offered me interviews, which I’m really surprised and appreciate a lot!

But frankly speaking I think the majority just don’t want freshly-grads. I went to UofM and all my profs, including the admisson dean, have reminded me that grad programs don’t want people who just graduated, regardless of how mature you think your works are. There’re many reasons to this. So to be realistic I’m already prepared for receiving a rejection from SAIC.

Compared to cost, I guess time is a more critical factor for me because I need to get the MFA degree ASAP. I wonder if it’s worthy to spend a year on a program that doesn’t offer a degree but just a certificate :(

5 hours ago, TheRealHankHill said:

Ive been watching from the sidelines on this forum and not participating, but I got this too.  It seems that there is a seperate category for applicants aside from students...but iunno...I was like whaaaaaat  when i saw the email.  I'm tryna forget about it in the meantime tho

I agree.

I’ve been receiving these letters too, but they’re from a different category and were automatically generated once you submitted your application. Even though I personally also hope they may hint on something but I’m sorry to say that these letters dont relate to the application result at all... 

17 hours ago, yessssssss said:

I did a little digging through previous forums and I’m thinking we may hear from Rutgers this week sometime. Last couple years it was right around the 9th or 10th of Feb - so maybe this Friday?!? Their interview day is March 1st so I can’t imagine they make us wait much longer, especially for those who will have to travel.

do they send you an email saying you were not chosen for an interview or do you wait until after march 1st to hear final decisions? like - if you dont hear anything you didn't get it? 

20 hours ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Good to know! Hope to keep each other updated :)

Yes of course.

It seems like you're getting anxiety about the admissions, me as well, but don't worry about it too much. We'll be fine :D

(Just checked mailbox ten minutes ago, though. Haha)

2 hours ago, Hollyknox said:

do they send you an email saying you were not chosen for an interview or do you wait until after march 1st to hear final decisions? like - if you dont hear anything you didn't get it? 

I don’t know what they will do this year, but in previous years it looks like they sent out rejections along with interview requests. Hoping they do that again this year so we won’t have to wait any longer either way!

Has anyone heard from RISD, MICA, Rutgers, Tulane, or SVA yet? Those are the ones I’m still waiting on. I’m pretty sure SAIC and VCU are rejections for me at this point since people have been posting about interviews, but I haven’t seen many people post about the rest. 

12 minutes ago, Aatt said:

Has anyone heard from RISD, MICA, Rutgers, Tulane, or SVA yet? Those are the ones I’m still waiting on. I’m pretty sure SAIC and VCU are rejections for me at this point since people have been posting about interviews, but I haven’t seen many people post about the rest. 

I think I was rejected from VCU as well, but they usually only accept around 3 people yearly to each program so that was a tough one anyway. 

I have not heard from SVA yet either, but I did see one person had an invite there at the end of January. So I'm not sure if they've already sent interview requests to everyone or if they're staggering them out, but I feel like they might have requested everyone they were interested already (just a gut feeling). 

But hey, maybe we still have a chance because I honestly have no idea what their process is.

Edited by Karisjns

5 hours ago, MFApainting2019 said:

Thank you so much for the genuine advices!

I’m also applying to other MFA programs and some of them have offered me interviews, which I’m really surprised and appreciate a lot!

But frankly speaking I think the majority just don’t want freshly-grads. I went to UofM and all my profs, including the admisson dean, have reminded me that grad programs don’t want people who just graduated, regardless of how mature you think your works are. There’re many reasons to this. So to be realistic I’m already prepared for receiving a rejection from SAIC.

Compared to cost, I guess time is a more critical factor for me because I need to get the MFA degree ASAP. I wonder if it’s worthy to spend a year on a program that doesn’t offer a degree but just a certificate :(

I've heard from multiple professors that post-bacc is a major waste of money because like you said there is only a certificate that essentially means you got babysat for a year by that school. (obviously I'm exaggerating but you get the point) it's also not a guarantee that you'd be allowed into the mfa program. 

If you want to wait and try again for SAIC next year You would save money just getting a studio space or home studio for a year and working on your practice diligently. Otherwise if you get accepted to other programs you might aswell just jump on that if time is a major factor in wanting to achieve your mfa.

47 minutes ago, Cryptics said:

I've heard from multiple professors that post-bacc is a major waste of money because like you said there is only a certificate that essentially means you got babysat for a year by that school. (obviously I'm exaggerating but you get the point) it's also not a guarantee that you'd be allowed into the mfa program. 

If you want to wait and try again for SAIC next year You would save money just getting a studio space or home studio for a year and working on your practice diligently. Otherwise if you get accepted to other programs you might aswell just jump on that if time is a major factor in wanting to achieve your mfa.

Ahhh I see... thank you for your advice! 

I’ll totally research more on the post-bacc and hopefully I can get in one of the other schools I applied to ????

1 hour ago, Aatt said:

1 hour ago, Karisjns said:

I think I was rejected from VCU as well, but they usually only accept around 3 people yearly to each program so that was a tough one anyway. 

I have not heard from SVA yet either, but I did see one person had an invite there at the end of January. So I'm not sure if they've already sent interview requests to everyone or if they're staggering them out, but I feel like they might have requested everyone they were interested already (just a gut feeling). 

But hey, maybe we still have a chance because I honestly have no idea what their process is.

Hi I think I’m the SVA one you mentioned here. 

I interviewed with SVA on 01/28. I remember the interviewer mentioning that his time slots can only be from 01/27 to 01/29.

But 1) I’m only applying to the fine arts department 2) I did my interview via Skype not in person 3) the interviewer seems to be a painter (I myself am one too) and there may be other interviewers!

13 hours ago, Karisjns said:

I would interpret this as a really good sign. 

I didn’t want to get too excited but, like, they couldn’t possibly do this for every applicant right? Why would they waste their time generating one for everyone? Then again this is my first time applying so I really don’t know the protocol. But I’m sending good energy into this haha MANIFEST THAT SHIT. 

3 hours ago, yessssssss said:

I don’t know what they will do this year, but in previous years it looks like they sent out rejections along with interview requests. Hoping they do that again this year so we won’t have to wait any longer either way!

ugh for real - the anxiety is murder 

57 minutes ago, Chauncey Zhang said:

Did someone receive an interview from Massart?

I haven't heard from them or heard of anyone getting any communication from them yet. Have you heard something?

14 hours ago, MFApainting2019 said:

I agree with MJamesPDX. A good friend of mine from undergrad (we were in undergrad 14 years ago, wow that makes me feel old af!) - he's currently in the curatorial program at MICA, he suggested I do post bacc program before an MFA program - if my round of applications don't yield positive offers. Post Bacc programs are helpful for a number of reasons. For me personally, I have spent the last 10 years working in film and video production, not in an artistic sense, completely Hollywood. I have continued to make my own work and show my work on a very local scale when I have time, which is not often. Obviously, working in this Hollywood drenched industry has influenced my work and that may or may not be a direction I choose to follow in my graduate work. Having an additional year to focus on myself and my work could be helpful. For me, this round of applications is very important - if I don't get a deal I am comfortable with I will certainly consider a post bacc program. Otherwise I will likely continue working in the film industry and remain stuck in this predicament I'm currently in - no time to focus on my art, no time to properly show my work, too many career distractions and responsibilities to truly practice my art in the way that is necessary for me to be happy and content. 

There is a lot of growth and maturity that happens after completing undergrad. I don't think schools necessarily write you off simply because you will be fresh out of undergrad but more so I think they want to see what you do without the constraints and expectations of undergrad studies.I certainly wouldn't take it as a negative that they suggested the post bacc program - they are definitely interested in you and your work, otherwise they wouldn't have suggested the post bacc program. 

2 minutes ago, jess_is_over_it said:

I agree with MJamesPDX. A good friend of mine from undergrad (we were in undergrad 14 years ago, wow that makes me feel old af!) - he's currently in the curatorial program at MICA, he suggested I do post bacc program before an MFA program - if my round of applications don't yield positive offers. Post Bacc programs are helpful for a number of reasons. For me personally, I have spent the last 10 years working in film and video production, not in an artistic sense, completely Hollywood. I have continued to make my own work and show my work on a very local scale when I have time, which is not often. Obviously, working in this Hollywood drenched industry has influenced my work and that may or may not be a direction I choose to follow in my graduate work. Having an additional year to focus on myself and my work could be helpful. For me, this round of applications is very important - if I don't get a deal I am comfortable with I will certainly consider a post bacc program. Otherwise I will likely continue working in the film industry and remain stuck in this predicament I'm currently in - no time to focus on my art, no time to properly show my work, too many career distractions and responsibilities to truly practice my art in the way that is necessary for me to be happy and content. 

I agree too - I wouldn't necessary write off a post-bac as a waste of time or money, or as being "babysat."  If you are in a professional situation after undergrad that limits your art practice I think it could be a very helpful option to get back into the studio, have access to professors, and have access to an artistic community.  All of these things can nurture your portfolio and help get it to a point that might be stronger for MFA applications depending on your situation!

2 hours ago, Aatt said:

Tulane will likely still be a wait. The deadline was only Feb 1st. I applied there as well.

Also applied to two programs at MICA. I'm curious as well, last year interviews invites rolled in around now. Decisions weren't made til 2nd week of March through the end of March. ALTHOUGH they did extend their deadline due to inclement weather so I would assume everything is pushed by a week or so. Crossing my fingers for us both!

45 minutes ago, justaylor said:

I didn’t want to get too excited but, like, they couldn’t possibly do this for every applicant right? Why would they waste their time generating one for everyone? Then again this is my first time applying so I really don’t know the protocol. But I’m sending good energy into this haha MANIFEST THAT SHIT. 

Last year I applied to the photo program at UNM. I received a similar email from the registrars office about my financial aide. It's hard not to read into it, but it was just an automated message unrelated to my candidacy prospects--even though it sounded very encouraging! If it's not from the department itself, prolly not indicative of acceptance.

I applied to UCI this year but just sent my FAFSA stuff in (hope i didn't miss a deadline). I'll let you know if I get an automated message.

2 hours ago, Aatt said:

MICA Sculpture sent out interview requests for this and next week 

51 minutes ago, jess_is_over_it said:

There is a lot of growth and maturity that happens after completing undergrad. I don't think schools necessarily write you off simply because you will be fresh out of undergrad but more so I think they want to see what you do without the constraints and expectations of undergrad studies.I certainly wouldn't take it as a negative that they suggested the post bacc program - they are definitely interested in you and your work, otherwise they wouldn't have suggested the post bacc program. 

Thanks a lot for sharing!! :)