MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

16 hours ago, justaylor said:

So Im probably just chomping at the bit over here but I just got an email from UCI saying this :

The University of California, Irvine Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has received your 2019-20 financial aid application information.  You will be receiving more detailed information regarding your application in the near future.

In the meantime, if you have not already done so, we encourage you to activate your UCInetID so you may access your financial aid file and information regarding your application.  You will need your UCI Student Identification Number which is: (redacted)

- To activate your UCInetID, visit and click on "Student Applicants."
- Enter the requested information.

We look forward to assisting you in the financial aid process and encourage you to explore the many resources we have on our website.  

Sincerely,

Being that this is the first formal contact I´ve had with any of my schools I know Im probably over analyzing but, thoughts?

Oh I received the same email. Are you able to log in with your UCInetID and password after activation? It doesn't work for me and says " The resource you requested requires you to re-authenticate. Or, you may login as another user." 

17 hours ago, MFApainting2019 said:

I received a decision letter from SAIC today (even though on the letter it writes Feb 01) saying rejected. But they offer me an interview for their Post-Bacc program.

It just once again proves that MFA programs do not want people freshly out of undergrad. I’m graduating 04/2019 but have multiple exhibition experience so I thought maybe I could hope for a miracle...

Does anyone have an experience in a Post-Bacc degree/ have heard about how it works?

My BFA is in sculpture. I did a post-bacc in k-12 art education a couple years later to get some teaching experience while continuing to build up my portfolio. This proved to be extremely beneficial to me since I was able to be a TA my first semester of grad school in a program where most students don't start TAing until second or third year, in part because I had this prior teaching experience even though it was at k-12 level. As someone who wants to be a professor, my post-bacc has already given me an edge. I also know a ceramics grad student who did 2 post-baccs in ceramics and speaks very highly of those experiences. They can definitely be very useful.

That being said, my multidisciplinary cohort is 14 people and 3 were right out of undergrad, so it is not unheard of or impossible. Getting in is competitive and difficult for everyone, regardless of experience. Even if you've been out of undergrad for years and have a growing exhibition record, nothing's a guarentee.

4 hours ago, MFApainting2019 said:

Hi I think I’m the SVA one you mentioned here. 

I interviewed with SVA on 01/28. I remember the interviewer mentioning that his time slots can only be from 01/27 to 01/29.

But 1) I’m only applying to the fine arts department 2) I did my interview via Skype not in person 3) the interviewer seems to be a painter (I myself am one too) and there may be other interviewers!

Hm ok I’m going for mfa in design and the app for that wasn’t even due till 1/27 (extended to 2/1) so they must have different interview times for different departments. How did your interview go?

Edited by Aatt

3 hours ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Tulane will likely still be a wait. The deadline was only Feb 1st. I applied there as well.

Also applied to two programs at MICA. I'm curious as well, last year interviews invites rolled in around now. Decisions weren't made til 2nd week of March through the end of March. ALTHOUGH they did extend their deadline due to inclement weather so I would assume everything is pushed by a week or so. Crossing my fingers for us both!

Same fingers crossed for us both!

21 hours ago, MFApainting2019 said:

I received a decision letter from SAIC today (even though on the letter it writes Feb 01) saying rejected. But they offer me an interview for their Post-Bacc program.

It just once again proves that MFA programs do not want people freshly out of undergrad. I’m graduating 04/2019 but have multiple exhibition experience so I thought maybe I could hope for a miracle...

Does anyone have an experience in a Post-Bacc degree/ have heard about how it works?

I just received a similar letter! I am not straight out of undergrad, but am switching career paths from a science day job to art. Hopefully we get into full MFAs but I wouldn’t be discouraged by it! ;) 

17 minutes ago, michelle_q said:

Just got accepted to SVA fine art! But with very little funding (maybe because I’m international?) Has anyone heard from Columbia or Calarts? Saw someone posting in another forum about receiving interview from calarts film/video and I’m getting a little anxious...

I’m also waiting for Calarts, haven’t heard anyone talking about Calarts interview here...

It sounds like some folks here that got acceptances also got info on funding right away. Is anyone else still waiting to hear back on funding packages? It might be late March before I get any details from UMN. 

5 hours ago, Aatt said:

Hm ok I’m going for mfa in design and the app for that wasn’t even due till 1/27 (extended to 2/1) so they must have different interview times for different departments. How did your interview go?

As mentioned in my previous post it was pretty confusing. I was only asked one question about my practice, the rest of time we just had a very casual chat about my life experience and future plans... but I did see him dropping down notes during our chat

im not sure if it’s a good sign. I was told the results will be out on 04/01 but seems like someone just received an offer for the same department but different category 

Edited by MFApainting2019

Not sure if anyone applied, but figured I'd share with the community here just in case you did.. My alma mater, the Oregon College of Art & Craft, is officially closing it's doors in May of this year for good.. This includes the joint MFA program with PNCA. It's been a long battle with debt and after several failed attempts to merge the campus with other local art institutions, the board finally voted to close for good. Super sad :(

1 hour ago, michelle_q said:

Just got accepted to SVA fine art! But with very little funding (maybe because I’m international?) Has anyone heard from Columbia or Calarts? Saw someone posting in another forum about receiving interview from calarts film/video and I’m getting a little anxious...

Congrats! 

@theway CalArts Photo, Art, Art&Tech have not sent out interviews/rejections yet. 

I'm in touch with their grad coordinator, it will happen at least in mid-February. I'll post here if she gets back with specific dates. 

I'm about to relocate to another state for a job, and the waiting is making me so antsy?I hope to get some news on admission until the end of the month.

UoHouston Painting has sent out notifications of acceptance, I wonder whether anyone heard back from their Photo department? 

32 minutes ago, Meaou said:

Congrats! 

@theway CalArts Photo, Art, Art&Tech have not sent out interviews/rejections yet. 

I'm in touch with their grad coordinator, it will happen at least in mid-February. I'll post here if she gets back with specific dates. 

Thank u so much!!

2 hours ago, michelle_q said:

Congrats!!!

On 2/5/2019 at 8:01 PM, scentofaseagull said:

I'm waiting on interviews or decisions from:

UCLA

VCU

Hunter

Rutgers 

Has anyone in this thread heard back from any of the above schools at this point, or have a sense from past years of when they follow up? 

I recently spoke to someone who was still waiting on Hunter. Not sure about the others though. 

19 hours ago, daria_k said:

Oh I received the same email. Are you able to log in with your UCInetID and password after activation? It doesn't work for me and says " The resource you requested requires you to re-authenticate. Or, you may login as another user." 

mine says the same thing! i emailed them but havent heard anything back. every day i get a little less anxious and a little more annoyed about not hearing anything from any of the five schools i applied to   -__-

oh well what can you do...

On 2/1/2019 at 5:56 AM, Bol said:

Congrat!

I also got an invitation from RISD, digital media. Maybe at the same time. 

I also applied to Calarts art and tech, SAIC art and tech and USC roski. Have anyone heard from those departments? It seems SAIC already sent their invitations but I've never heard any from art and tech program.

Why am I sooo nervous :(

I also go the interview request! Kinda nervous since I can’t find much info on the D+M interview online.

What are you guys doing to prepare for this interview? And what’s your undergrad/research background in?

14 hours ago, mariet said:

It sounds like some folks here that got acceptances also got info on funding right away. Is anyone else still waiting to hear back on funding packages? It might be late March before I get any details from UMN. 

I'm waiting in funding info from Cincinnati. Was accepted a week ago, was told I could expect funding information within a week. Trying to be patient.