MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

2 hours ago, cfree said:

Rejected from Northwestern and Yale, and SAIC painting (offered a spot in post-bacc), haven't heard from SAIC sculpture (assumed rejection), Accepted into PAFA, and interviews at MICA and SFAI. Still waiting to hear from Hunter and Rutgers and Berkeley. Has anyone heard from any of those? 

Berkeley emailed me on Feb 1st, and I had a phone interview with one of the faculty members on the 6th. She told me they're making their final decisions on Feb 20th-ish

I applied Massart(Design), RISD (2-year GD), ACCD(GD), CalArts(GD), Pratt(communication design). But submitted applications near ddl. Not received any notifications until now. Has anyone received an interview? Plus, I don’t know whether they send interview invitations together after reviewing, or senting while reviewing?

32 minutes ago, Chauncey Zhang said:

I applied Massart(Design), RISD (2-year GD), ACCD(GD), CalArts(GD), Pratt(communication design). But submitted applications near ddl. Not received any notifications until now. Has anyone received an interview? Plus, I don’t know whether they send interview invitations together after reviewing, or senting while reviewing?

I applied for graphic design 2yr too, but the only one we both applied to is RISD and I’v heard nothing from them. In past years it looks like they sent interview invites pretty late. I’m also waiting to hear from MICA, Rutgers,Tulane, SVA, and VCU. Pretty sure VCU is a rejection at this point, but I still have hope for the others! Already been accepted to 2 programs rejected from 2 programs. 

15 minutes ago, Aatt said:

I applied for graphic design 2yr too, but the only one we both applied to is RISD and I’v heard nothing from them. In past years it looks like they sent interview invites pretty late. I’m also waiting to hear from MICA, Rutgers,Tulane, SVA, and VCU. Pretty sure VCU is a rejection at this point, but I still have hope for the others! Already been accepted to 2 programs rejected from 2 programs. 

I applied MICA and SVA too. Hope we all have good luck.

6 minutes ago, Chauncey Zhang said:

I applied MICA and SVA too. Hope we all have good luck.

Hello. Did you hear from SVA? I applied to SVA's Design Program as well and the status says ‘Application Ready for Review’.

8 minutes ago, yueeeee said:

Hello. Did you hear from SVA? I applied to SVA's Design Program as well and the status says ‘Application Ready for Review’.

Me too. Maybe because of the large number of applicants, so the progress will be slower. 

On 2/9/2019 at 1:26 AM, Bol said:

I am worried about the interview as well? haha. Information is never enough..and I even majored nothing relevant to art. 

Just trying to make a list of possible questions and making my words smooth :(

I didn’t major in art either, but I’ve taken several classes and am passionate about the program. Obviously that’s not a negative or we wouldn’t have been called in to interview. 

Let me know how the interview goes and good luck!

Just got an interview request with PNCA! We scheduled for a phone call on Friday morning. I'm pretty nervous, this will be my first interview. ?

Has anyone interviewed with them yet? 

On 2/7/2019 at 10:26 AM, calmly waiting said:

I've seen mention of contact from VCU from certain departments. Has anyone heard yet from the photo/film dept? Also, is anyone here applying to the VCU for photo/film? Richmond seems like such a cool place.

@calmly waiting did you get an answer to this? I’m waiting from the photo dept too. Most posts I’ve seen reference painting, etc. 

1 hour ago, mariet said:

Just got an interview request with PNCA! We scheduled for a phone call on Friday morning. I'm pretty nervous, this will be my first interview. ?

Has anyone interviewed with them yet? 

i interviewed with them this afternoon! also my first one. i'd def say somewhat informal, they only asked a few questions (as opposed to a 15 question list from another school i saw earlier on this thread)---however they also mentioned that they were behind on their schedule (and texted me to let me know beforehand) so things were about 15 min instead of 20. they asked why i wanted to get an MFA, why PNCA, and what i thought/hoped my first year might look like. i think there was another one but it's hard to remember already, lmao. 

they definitely had my stuff on hand because they mentioned my essay and CV and portfolio, and brought up a few elements of their programs that i might like---it was definitely an interview, but less rapid-fire questions and more of a conversational element to it that i appreciated. and i liked what they had to say quite a bit! after that, they wanted to know if i had any questions (i mostly asked about TAing and what kind of facilities were accessible to MFA students because they'd answered my earlier questions about studios and structure) and said there was so much more they wanted to get to, but they had to keep rolling. overall, i think it went well! 

i'm interviewing with emily carr tmrw and SFAI next week....so far those are the only ones i've heard back from! i also applied to UCLA, risd, pratt, and cca. 

if it helps---i went to risd for undergrad and they were the last school to get back to me. it was pretty late, i want to say near the end of march. the process is different for grad because, i think, it's departmental---but i do know they like to take their time! 

Edited by beep beep

8 hours ago, aparas33 said:

I've been stalking this page too! I've only heard back from OCAD (accepted) and UBC (interview tomorrow). Has anyone heard from CCA, VCU, or Concordia in Canada? Also, have not heard from Bard or Columbia? 

Hello :) May I ask which program you are applying for?

15 hours ago, riso_hell said:

Hi all, I got a call from a UCLA faculty member last night who wanted to talk about my portfolio and asked a few other questions. He indicated that finalists would hear back from them in about a month. Caught me totally off guard and the connection was bad but it went well hopefully!

To which program did you apply?

10 minutes ago, Arissss said:

Also for those who are waiting for interview from RISD, I got an email from them saying that most of the departments don't do interview, and they will sent out the decision in mid-march.

I just know a little bit about the interview. If a non-English international student don’t have a high language grade, maybe he/she will receive a language interview invitation. 

Just now, Chauncey Zhang said:

I just know a little bit about the interview. If a non-English international student don’t have a high language grade, maybe he/she will receive a language interview invitation. 

I applied the program as permanent resident so I don't think that's the case for me but thank you for the info. I also had a friend who applied RISD last year as international student and she didn't receive an interview invitation and was on the waitlist. Her got the decision from RISD in mid-march.

18 minutes ago, Arissss said:

I applied the program as permanent resident so I don't think that's the case for me but thank you for the info. I also had a friend who applied RISD last year as international student and she didn't receive an interview invitation and was on the waitlist. Her got the decision from RISD in mid-march.

Which program have you applied for?

Does UCLA always give their interview through phone calls? Anyone receive an email?  I did get a lot of calls from California (during week days), but I had classes and work shifts so I missed them all......... Is it a bad news? I mean, before calling shouldn't they send an email to schedule a phone interview?????

5 hours ago, Arissss said:

For those who have been rejected by saic, did you ever received an notification of rejection? I haven't heard from saic for an interview, but I got an email noticing that they downloaded my e-transcript last week....I tried to send email to the grad department and they never replied me. I am so confused.

I got a letter in the mail