MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Got an email today notifying me of admission into UW Madison's MFA program! This is my second year applying to MFA programs after getting straight rejections last year. I'm surprised they didn't ask for an interview..?

Stick with it ya'll, hard work pays off. Still waiting to hear back from the other 6 schools I applied to, but I'm incredibly grateful to have gotten into this funded program. Cheering for all of you!

23 minutes ago, darsenbehelm said:

Got an email today notifying me of admission into UW Madison's MFA program! This is my second year applying to MFA programs after getting straight rejections last year. I'm surprised they didn't ask for an interview..?

Stick with it ya'll, hard work pays off. Still waiting to hear back from the other 6 schools I applied to, but I'm incredibly grateful to have gotten into this funded program. Cheering for all of you!

Congrats, I bet it is such a relief!

This is my second year too, and I'm really hoping for some good news! 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, katkat said:

I've been quietly checking out this forum all week and it's seriously kept me sane, thanks everyone! 

So far, I've been accepted into UC Davis and rejected from Yale. 

Does anyone know anything about Stanford? I'm in agony over the waiting... 

Congrats on your acceptance to UC-Davis! Last year, my best friend did not get ANY notification from the Stanford U-MFA Art department/admissions office, etc. until June 2018 when she was rejected. With Stanford you never know. Here is the data I gathered from the Gradcafe forum for previous years:

Stanford University MFA

2018. January 30. Interview via E-mail.

2018. March 6. Accepted via E-mail by the MFA grad coordinator, and the next day by admissions office

2015. March 20. Rejected via E-mail

2014. March 21. Rejected via E-mail

2008. March 17. Painting. Rejected via Postal Service

Hope this info helps a bit!

Edited by Lemon2Lemonade

12 hours ago, acs000 said:

I wasn't rejected by SAIC but from what I gather their interview weekend is this upcoming weekend (I have an interview with the art and tech Dept). I heard someone else say they've sent all interview letters out by now.

I just received their rejection letter today via mail. I would stay check your mail box and if you haven't received any letter from them, I think that is a good sign. Good luck on your interview. I'm having an interview with SMFA tomorrow morning and I'm so freaking out. 

On 2/11/2019 at 7:50 PM, Chauncey Zhang said:

I applied Massart(Design), RISD (2-year GD), ACCD(GD), CalArts(GD), Pratt(communication design). But submitted applications near ddl. Not received any notifications until now. Has anyone received an interview? Plus, I don’t know whether they send interview invitations together after reviewing, or senting while reviewing?

I applied RISD, and they said in their email that most of the dept don't interview applicants....I don't know about other schools that you applied, but I heard that Pratt started to send out their invitations since last week.

38 minutes ago, Arissss said:

I applied RISD, and they said in their email that most of the dept don't interview applicants....I don't know about other schools that you applied, but I heard that Pratt started to send out their invitations since last week.

My friends and I haven't received anything from RISD&Pratt yet.

i just had another interview today and i think it went well, but i never want to get ahead of myself. it's interesting---all three of the schools i'm interviewing with thus far were feb 1 deadline. the other schools i applied to that were due around early jan don't seem to have sent out accepts/rejections yet, let alone interview invites, to anyone based on what i'm reading on this board. (cca, ucla, pratt, risd painting)

8 hours ago, riso_hell said:

I just received an email from UCI saying the status of my application has been updated, logged in and it still lists the status as "submitted." I am on the edge of my seat right now. 

I Recieved a similar email today. I clicked the link and logged in and then clicked the orange link that says my application was updated and that link brought me to a big old rejection letter ??‍♀️

Just straight and to the point.

3 hours ago, Arissss said:

Anyone applies or has applied Boston University? I got an invitation for interview from BU and would very much like to get some info of this school.

I went there for undergrad of u want to know anything general about the school. What dept u apply to? 

4 hours ago, Arissss said:

I just received their rejection letter today via mail. I would stay check your mail box and if you haven't received any letter from them, I think that is a good sign. Good luck on your interview. I'm having an interview with SMFA tomorrow morning and I'm so freaking out. 

Hey, can I know where are you from?

I still haven't heard anything from SAIC and since I'm from India, the rejection letter might just take decades to actually reach me. ?

6 hours ago, emily0412 said:

Thanks! I applied for visual arts, painting.

4 hours ago, brachydactyla said:

Can also confirm Rutgers - just saw the interview request in my inbox.

Interviewed with Uwash (Photomedia) last week.

Congrats! Are there still other people who haven’t heard anything from Rutgers? Is it possibly they’re sending things out in multiple batches? 

11 minutes ago, yessssssss said:

Congrats! Are there still other people who haven’t heard anything from Rutgers? Is it possibly they’re sending things out in multiple batches? 

nothin from rutgers on my end!

2 hours ago, justaylor said:

I Recieved a similar email today. I clicked the link and logged in and then clicked the orange link that says my application was updated and that link brought me to a big old rejection letter ??‍♀️

Unfortunately I got the same thing. I logged back in several hours later and the status had finally updated. Is this your first year applying there?

3 hours ago, justaylor said:

So sorry, Taylor! It always stings, but don't let it get you down.

FYI 

1. University of Buffalo MFA extended application deadline to February 20 (good to full funding) TWO year program
  2. Bowling Green State University MFA application deadline is February 18 (full funding for all TA's) TWO year program
  3. SACI-Florence MFA application deadline is March 1 (expensive, no funding, if lucky maybe a few thousands for a few scholarships) TWO year program
  4. Radford University MFA application deadline is April 1 for Fall 20019 and until November for Spring 2020 (no funding offered) THREE year program
  5. Winthrop University MFA application deadline is March 1 for Fall 20019 and September 1 for Spring 2020 (some funding and some TA's) 60 credits total

I did not apply to any of these programs, and the thought of asking my recommenders to go through the ringer again makes me cringe so I am sure that I will not apply to any more programs for this cycle, but I thought that it might be of interest. FEEL FREE TO ADD NAMES OF OTHER MFA PROGRAMS with open application deadlines.