MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

I'm confused by FAFSA deadlines for some of the programs I applied for. The MassArt page says FAFSA was due by February 1st and the RISD one is due by February 15. Is this true? I'm confused as to why I would fill them out if I haven't even been accepted or rejected yet. Does that mean it's too late for me to do it for MassArt?

Edited by GummyPegasus

1 hour ago, Sylvieee said:

It seems like Columbia College Chicago had interviews previous years but the grad admissions said they don’t give them. Maybe that’s a new thing this year? Anyone applied there before?

In an email they sent me after submitted my application it says:

"Once the priority deadline passes, the committee will begin the review process, taking 6-8 weeks to holistically review all applications. Then, in early March, you will receive a mailed letter detailing both your admissions decision and any scholarship funding the committee has awarded you.

Your admissions decision will also appear on your Status Page, so check there periodically for updates."

1 hour ago, CatchThemAll said:

U Michigan is holding their first round of interviews this week. 

Well fuck that makes me feel like another rejection is coming. My mailbox has been dead quiet aside from the UCI rejection. I really like UMich too and thought I’d fit into their program really well. That’s a huge bummer. 

On 2/11/2019 at 3:29 PM, aparas33 said:

I've been stalking this page too! I've only heard back from OCAD (accepted) and UBC (interview tomorrow). Has anyone heard from CCA, VCU, or Concordia in Canada? Also, have not heard from Bard or Columbia? 

I am waiting on a response from both VCU and Concordia ?

At least for sculpture at VCU I have heard you don't hear until mid-March.  Not sure about Concordia.

I got an interview from SAIC for the visual communications 3-year Post-Bac+MFA track interview, and MICA's graphic design MA program. Any idea how to prepare for it? On the instructions, it says that I will be talking about 2 to 3 of the best work on my portfolio, but what maybe be the other questions that I should prepare for?

I am a total noob and totally freaking out right now, cus the interviews are pretty close together.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:40 PM, Karisjns said:

This is what I was asked for Portland State's interview for MFA in Studio Practice:

Why do you want to go to graduate school? Why now?

Are you open to experimenting and breaking out of your comfort zone with your work?

Can you tell me about your current creative concepts?

Where do you see your art progressing in the future?

Are there any projects, books or films that have inspired you and your work?

What contemporary artists are you interested right now?

Why have you chosen to apply to this institution/program?

Are you open to working on projects outside of the University?

They also opened the floor to any questions that I had for them.

Hope this is helpful!

On 2/6/2019 at 11:47 AM, chz&pcake said:

Here's a list of sample interview questions UofM included in their email to me.  Most of them of pretty general so hopefully they're helpful! 

1. Why are you getting an MFA, and in particular why did you apply to UofM?

2. Tell us why you want to be an artist?

3. What is the main topic/question of inquiry/research question you are trying to unpack while at UofM?

4. The U of M is a tier one research university, many of our departments and schools are the top-ranked programs in the country. Could you expand on your thoughts about interacting with other units/departments on campus?

5. What role does research play in making your artwork?

6. What do you believe is the role of Art and/or Artist in the 21st century? Where do you think Art and its practice is headed in the 21st century? How do you see your own work in relation to the 21st century?

7. The Stamps school of A&D is committed to community outreach and engagement, we have programs with healthcare, public schools, animal shelters to name a few. Do you have experience or interest in these connections?

8. The international travel experience is an important part of our graduate program. How would the international project inform your work, your research?

9. What are your plans or thoughts after receiving an MFA?

10. Tell us about your exhibition experience. Do you want to exhibit or do you see alternate ways to distribute your work?

11. What are recent exhibitions you have seen that you have interested you and why? What artists do you admire?

12. Tell us about something you’ve read (could be a theory, fiction, or news) that has had an impact on you?

13. Have you had experience teaching, do you have an interest in teaching after your degree?

14. Tell us a little about yourself and your interests (cooking, sports, etc) a memorable personal experience that has inspired you.

@JadeySheng Here are some potential questions from earlier in the thread.

I'm also interviewing with SAIC and it's so close I'm almost panicking. Are you attending the interview in person or via Skype?

Edited by acs000

22 hours ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

Congrats on your acceptance to UC-Davis! Last year, my best friend did not get ANY notification from the Stanford U-MFA Art department/admissions office, etc. until June 2018 when she was rejected. With Stanford you never know. Here is the data I gathered from the Gradcafe forum for previous years:

Stanford University MFA

2018. January 30. Interview via E-mail.

2018. March 6. Accepted via E-mail by the MFA grad coordinator, and the next day by admissions office

2015. March 20. Rejected via E-mail

2014. March 21. Rejected via E-mail

2008. March 17. Painting. Rejected via Postal Service

Hope this info helps a bit!

Thank you! This is super helpful. Kinda breaks my heart because I think I should have heard back by now if I was a finalist, but I really appreciate you sending me this info!

4 hours ago, madgey said:

I am waiting on a response from both VCU and Concordia ?

At least for sculpture at VCU I have heard you don't hear until mid-March.  Not sure about Concordia.

I got my acceptance through a phone call and email for the Fibers program for Concordia. They said they (admissions committee) recommended a place for me in the program which I think is an offer? VCU/CCA FIBERS WYA?

Edited by aparas33
mistype

7 hours ago, arusse said:

Has anyone heard anything from University of Chicago, University of Illinois Chicago, SAIC Printmedia, or U Mich? I haven’t seen any updates on this forum for those guys. 

UChicago : got interview invitation around mid January -- interview next monday