MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

6 hours ago, mariet said:

Just had my interview! I think it went well -- your input definitely helped, thank you! It was very conversational rather than rapidfire questions, and each of my answers were followed up with relevant opportunities that they offer.  It ended up being more around half an hour for me, since I had a few questions.

Hope we hear back with good news! 

glad to hear it helped! i'm going to be in portland in a few weeks anyway so i'm going to pop over for a tour and get some more information---will report back!  

i got interview requests from cca and pratt this week---still waiting on risd painting and ucla. anyone heard from them or know anything? i went to risd for undergrad and i know they take more time, but i know next to knowing about ucla's general timeline. 

Edited by beep beep

Hi everyone, I am a current BFA student at SAIC, and I am surprised that many of you got rejected for its MFA program. I didn't apply SAIC for graduate school because Chicago has a very limited professional resource for any types of studio artists though it is a good school with great facility and faculty members, especially in Painting and Photography. I had classes with the current chair of the painting and photography department, and their works are certainly amazon. 

However, I am sick of being in Chicago for four years, and I primarily applied to schools in the UK. 

As far as now, I have applied to RCA, Goldsmiths, and Chelsea. I interviewed RCA sculpture ten days ago, and I had a very bad experience with the arrogant faculty members, but haven't received any response yet. However, I got into Chelsea College of Arts, and it is a 15-month program, so its tuition is almost half of the others. But I guess Goldsmiths might be the ideal one. Anyone apply Goldsmiths so far? 

2 hours ago, krvers said:

As far as now, I have applied to RCA, Goldsmiths, and Chelsea. I interviewed RCA sculpture ten days ago, and I had a very bad experience with the arrogant faculty members, but haven't received any response yet.

EXTREMELY poor taste bashing a schools' faculty on an internet forum after an interview regardless of how you perceived the interview to have gone. This could very well come back to haunt you. You have no idea what faculty might be lurking on these forums and some schools include current MFA students in the application review process, who might be active or lurking these forums as well.

1 hour ago, Kvir said:

EXTREMELY poor taste bashing a schools' faculty on an internet forum after an interview regardless of how you perceived the interview to have gone. This could very well come back to haunt you. You have no idea what faculty might be lurking on these forums and some schools include current MFA students in the application review process, who might be active or lurking these forums as well.

Thank you for your reminder. I am a newcomer to this forum. I thought that everyone here to exchange information is to express subjective feelings. As a result, you are so politically correct that I feel sick and please forgive me.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:28 AM, Lemon2Lemonade said:

@katkat Don't loose hope! As long as you have not received a rejection letter/email from them, I say you are very much in the game. I found this article saying that "all graduate schools in the US subscribe to a national acceptance deadline of April 15. Many recommend that if you have not heard from your school by March 15, you should contact them. When applying to a highly competitive school is very common that offers will be passed down to other applicants in time to make a decision before April 15"   Good luck to you! ?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, krvers said:
7 hours ago, krvers said:

Hi everyone, I am a current BFA student at SAIC, and I am surprised that many of you got rejected for its MFA program. I didn't apply SAIC for graduate school because Chicago has a very limited professional resource for any types of studio artists though it is a good school with great facility and faculty members, especially in Painting and Photography. I had classes with the current chair of the painting and photography department, and their works are certainly amazon. 

However, I am sick of being in Chicago for four years, and I primarily applied to schools in the UK. 

As far as now, I have applied to RCA, Goldsmiths, and Chelsea. I interviewed RCA sculpture ten days ago, and I had a very bad experience with the arrogant faculty members, but haven't received any response yet. However, I got into Chelsea College of Arts, and it is a 15-month program, so its tuition is almost half of the others. But I guess Goldsmiths might be the ideal one. Anyone apply Goldsmiths so far? 

kvers, no need to apologize at all! I lived in the UK recently as part of my US undergrad and the possibility of RCA faculty lurking this forum is zero. And do you know how many people apply to RCA? RCA, Goldsmiths, Ruskin have an incredible amount of applicants so no need to worry about lack of anonymity here. Please don't apologize for expressing opinions and feelings, that is what this forum is all about. If other people interviewed at RCA, and I personally know of two who did, they would feel much better for you having shared your experience. Nowadays, the idea of not being able to say anything because everyone will jump on you, is ludicrous. We are hopeful applicants, we need freedom to express ourselves. We need support and to support others. We need encouragement and the ability to trust that others will share useful information with us, because we will do the same for them. That is called solidarity, that is called common courtesy. I have encouraged people to share their results, concerns and questions in this forum without fears, including just anonymously in the Results page, and we all had started to do that. And we all have done that in a thoughtful way. Kuddos to us! No need to start a war because I express my opinion.

Edited by Lemon2Lemonade

2 hours ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

If other people interviewed at RCA, and I personally know of two who did....

May I know how was the interviews went for them? I'm curious now because krvers said they can be arrogant... ?
I'm an international student so I do feel anxious about my ability to express in English.

Edited by DitDot
typo

3 minutes ago, DitDot said:

May I know how was the interviews went for them? I'm curious now because krvers said they can be arrogant... ?
I'm an international student so I do feel anxious about my ability to express in English.

One of them felt attacked about his work very personally. The other was in tears afterwards. So that tells you right there how krvers RCA interview experience was not unusual at all.

13 minutes ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

One of them felt attacked about his work very personally. The other was in tears afterwards. So that tells you right there how krvers RCA interview experience was not unusual at all.

DuDE WhAt, I'm about to take their interview in Feb 18, I was quite confidence but now I don't know anything anymore xDDDDD''. Did they say any details of how the faculties questioned their works or their personality?

And may I know which program they interviewed for?

Edited by DitDot
:)

Please do not worry!!!! Every experience is different. Plus there is a GREAT chance that you will NOT get the same interviewers.  Both of my friends are English-native speakers so language was not an issue. Also know that interviewers are usually very empathetic and do not expect you to be perfect at a second language. Just get your message across, and show that you understood the question. If they give a negative critique of your work, they might be trying to see how well you react under pressure or how receptive you are to criticism. KEEP STRONG!!!! Remember, they call you to interview because they liked your work. Your work is strong to them so stand by it.

7 hours ago, Kvir said:

When you say "current MFA students in the application review process who might be lurking on these forums," are you one of them?

3 minutes ago, CatchThemAll said:

SAIC Skype interviews are happening today right? I wish everyone on this forum does great! 

33334D8C-1D7D-4F23-BBDB-F9B8D5521FE1.jpeg

Thank you! I am soooooo nervous! I'm interviewing in person today!

Edited by acs000

8 hours ago, krvers said:

Thank you for your reminder. I am a newcomer to this forum. I thought that everyone here to exchange information is to express subjective feelings. As a result, you are so politically correct that I feel sick and please forgive me.

Likewise, I am able to exchange information and express feelings as well (even if they contradict yours) so I did. Carry on. 

On 2/16/2019 at 6:57 AM, LadyoftheLake said:

When you say "current MFA students in the application review process who might be lurking on these forums," are you one of them?

I am a current MFA student with no involvement in my school's application process. I'm just here for curiosity's sake. But, student committees are a thing some places and who's to say someone else isn't lurking? I have had professors say they look up social media accounts. In high school I once got in trouble for saying something about a teacher on a deviantart forum. How they found it I'll still never know. Just looking out for y'all on the other side.

Hey guys, I heard that SVA started to send out MFA admissions! Computer Art and Design for Social Innovation is everything I know for now.

And RIT seems like giving tons of admissions... Including Graphic Design, Photo, HCI. Anyone have thoughts about this school?