MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

41 minutes ago, Kellie Gillespie said:

Received an interview for Cranbrook. Anyone have any information on this school? They have a visit weekend in March for finalists, but flying out to Michigan isn't the easiest to do last minute. I'm not sure if I should attend or not? 

My understanding is that they have an artist in residence who kind of runs the program during their stay. You will probably interview with this person, it looks like Rebecca Ripple is in charge of sculpture. Also, the campus is beautiful, but kind of isolated... about 40 minutes away from Detroit. 

On 2/14/2019 at 10:44 PM, ackey said:

Hi, long-time lurker, first-time poster here....I got accepted to SVA Fine Arts with a scholarship (albeit a little small)! Only thing is, the deadline to accept my scholarship/pay an enrollment fee is about a month before I will hear back from the other schools I applied to. What do people do in this situation- is it best to go ahead and pay the fee and officially decide later?

anyone? ?

10 minutes ago, ackey said:

anyone? ?

The only thing I found was this: https://professionals.collegeboard.org/guidance/applications/ethics

Basically, they say it is acceptable only when you are waiting to hear back from other schools (as you are), and I would have to agree. If you do decide to cancel your acceptance and accept a second offer, I would just let the first school know ASAP so that someone else has a chance to take your spot. Honestly, these different programs should try to figure out a universal timeline so that this is not even an issue.

Best of luck. 

Edited by EastCoastPhoto
Universal timeline thought

Is anyone else in the same boat of radio silence?

Feeling like I should start thinking of backup plans and looking for schools my fiancé ( I recently proposed ?) could attend instead of waiting to see where I might end up? Ugh, the waiting sucks because she’s been such a sport about everything but she really wants to keep studying and I don’t want to hinder her. She’s moving to the states with me regardless it’s just frustrating for everything to be up in the air. ?

1 hour ago, steesp said:

My understanding is that you have until April 15 to make a decision. This is the agreed upon date for grad schools in the US. 

https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

Thanks! When I asked if I there was any flexibility on their deadline (March 1), they said there was no guarantee my scholarship wouldn't get offered to someone else, so I feel like I have to enroll just in case. I haven't actually had the chance to even visit yet.

Has anyone heard from MICA mount royal (interdisciplinary)?

7 hours ago, smorenothing said:

Rejected by Yale and Northwestern thus far. Awaiting to hear back from UCLA and OSU. Just had a Skype interview with UConn. Has anyone else here interviewed with UConn? Already regretting applying to the school.

7 hours ago, MjamesPDX said:

Why are you regretting applying?

Applied to UConn as well, no response. 

Also curious why you are regretting applying? 

1 hour ago, ackey said:

Thanks! When I asked if I there was any flexibility on their deadline (March 1), they said there was no guarantee my scholarship wouldn't get offered to someone else, so I feel like I have to enroll just in case. I haven't actually had the chance to even visit yet.

Applied to MICA Mount Royal and Hoffberger, have yet to hear anything. Did reach out to Mary Baum last week to inquire, we had been in close contact since November and I felt it would be acceptable to reach out. Her response was short but cordial, says they are “still in the review process”...which “continues all month”. 

For anyone with an upcoming SMFA interview, or really any interview:

Had my interview with Ethan Murrow from SMFA last Thursday. Questions were about my current work, my current career, reasons for choosing to pursue an MFA, specifically why SMFA, what am I trying to convey through my work, influences and more specific questions were built upon my responses. Very interested in what I hoped or planned on doing with my work, conceptually, professionally and practice-wise. Discussed in depth what I could contribute to SMFA and what made me different from other applicants. He stated that he only had access to my portfolio prior to our Skype interview and was not privy to supporting material (ie. resume, statement, application, transcripts). He did not even have info regarding where I am located or what my undergrad degree is. So I briefed him on all that info. Very causal, equally informative as questioning, went slightly over the allotted 30 mins, he mentioned that my answers to questions also answered questions that were on his list, so I suppose I seemed well prepared. I followed up with thank you emails to both him and Lennon, both of whom responded promptly and positively. He even provided further faculty contacts for me to pursue specific to my skills and interests. 

Hi guys, have any of you heard anything  from Tyler? I saw painting applicants have already got the results or interviews, but I haven’t heard any from mine. It’s completely silence ???

6 hours ago, justaylor said:

Feeling like I should start thinking of backup plans and looking for schools my fiancé ( I recently proposed ?) could attend instead of waiting to see where I might end up? Ugh, the waiting sucks because she’s been such a sport about everything but she really wants to keep studying and I don’t want to hinder her. She’s moving to the states with me regardless it’s just frustrating for everything to be up in the air. ?

Hey! I feel you, man. I'm also looking up for back-up options tbh, but somehow with the little hope I still have in me, I guess I'll start acting on them properly in March mid(ish). I hope things go our way, and soon :)

Btw, Congratulations on your engagement! Thats a great news to hear!

@Rin_go same here -_- just nothing, except one rejection so far. 

@Pallavi.Daga thank you ? it’s frustrating because she has to wait too for anything so neither of us know what the hell is going on. I just want to know so I can move on accordingly! 

I guess the one thing that I’m hopeful about is none of the schools I applied to are heavily mentioned on this forum. One person mentioned U Mich a while back and I know @MjamesPDX is waiting on U of O with me but other than that nothing! So guess that makes me feel a bit better ??‍♀️

6 hours ago, Rin_go said:

Hi guys, have any of you heard anything  from Tyler? I saw painting applicants have already got the results or interviews, but I haven’t heard any from mine. It’s completely silence ???

Tyler sculpture did interviews last weekend (first-hand experience). 

22 minutes ago, warp said:

Tyler sculpture did interviews last weekend (first-hand experience). 

Aww really. Mine is not sculpture, but makes me sooo nervous ? Do they send e-mail for notifications? 

13 hours ago, ackey said:

I accepted Pratt's offer and deposited before hearing back from RISD, because I was also concerned about losing my spot. I ended up having to tell Pratt that I was declining their offer, and while I felt terrible about it, they were pretty understanding. As someone said before, the lack of a universal deadline for deposits/confirmations really puts people in an awkward position. In the end it's about what works best for you though. 

38 minutes ago, Rin_go said:

Aww really. Mine is not sculpture, but makes me sooo nervous ? Do they send e-mail for notifications? 

Tyler graphic design did interviews the first week of feb, but I’m pretty sure they do each department separately and have totally different time frames. 

17 minutes ago, Aatt said:

Tyler graphic design did interviews the first week of feb, but I’m pretty sure they do each department separately and have totally different time frames. 

Thanks for your comments, I know there are huge amount of applicants in Tyler, (when I visited last summer, the chair said they usually receive over hundreds for painting) so it’ll take a while... but waiting is not fun ?

13 hours ago, justaylor said:

Yes, in a very similar situation! I've heard back from two schools, one rejection, one interview. Still waiting on five schools (including my top choice). I've seen a couple of posts about other schools I've applied to which has had me worried. My girlfriend has been with me through all of the struggles of applying and now waiting. She is in law enforcement and plans to potentially transfer with me to wherever I end up so it's a huge waiting game for us. I know it's how the whole process works but I wish I would hear something soon! Some days I wake up optimistic and others I just sit and contemplate what I am going to do if this year doesn't pan out for me. 

On a side note, congrats about your proposal!! That's amazing, this must be a fantastic part of your life! Try not to focus on all the unknowns! I'm sure it will all work out. I've looked at your website a few times lol, I love your work. 

We'll all get through this! Even if that means applying again next year! Just think of all the possibilities this year could bring for our work! 

@justaylor I am also waiting around for U Mich and U of O. So far I have only heard back from SAIC for PostBac and I am pretty sure the other Chicago schools I applied to have already had interviews. So, I am telling myself I am probably not going to get an MFA this year and I am making plans as if I am not getting in anywhere, because I would rather it be a huge surprise than a crushing disappointment. Black and white thinking, I know, but then.... what a great payoff! And it lights a fire under my butt to be optimize my studio schedule and make more work as opposed to worrying about acceptance letters every second of the freakin day (which I still do but to a smaller extent now).

~~~ALSO CONGRATUULAATIONS~~~

Edited by arusse

Hi all,

I have been lurking here cause my spouse is applying to grad schools. She just heard back from Urbana Champaign last night and got in. She also got in to UW Madison a few days ago, still waiting on the letter with more info to come. 

She has heard nothing from:

VCU - Metals

U of O

The University of Iowa

Just wanted to update y'all cause I will be continuing to hang here to see when people are hearing anything from VCU and U of O cause I have to plan our move once we know where she is going to grad.