MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Last Friday I received an e-mail from the RCA asking to come in for an interview (for painting) at the end of January. I haven't heard back from any of the other schools. But based on my experience from last year, I won't hear back until January/February. 

I hope you all enjoyed the holidays! Good luck with everything! 

I've now done 6/9 so I'm feeling a lot better than before! Hope you're doing well too @MjamesPDX

When I could, I filled out that description section to the maximum word limit. Hahaha. I got that advice from a grant writing workshop, where they said the more information you can stuff in, the better. I did vary this a bit school to school - CMU's administration person said not to put a description in, and some other schools (i.e. UCI) specifically asked for a description.

That said, when I presented my work to a professor at a portfolio review day, I got a better understanding of what the review process is like for MFA programs - I think they go through your work crazy fast, like a few seconds per image. So, is it actually worth it?! Maybe if you're in the final round they might bother to read it?

Edited by sunflowerlemon

20 hours ago, henryfive said:

Me too! OSU?

Nope! UO in Eugene☺️

I only applied to one program this year.. kinda did the thing you’re not supposed to do, but it’s the only program on the west coast that I liked and had the best funding. We’ll see if that was a mistake or not, haha. Good luck with the rest of your apps!

2 hours ago, MjamesPDX said:

Nope! UO in Eugene☺️

I only applied to one program this year.. kinda did the thing you’re not supposed to do, but it’s the only program on the west coast that I liked and had the best funding. We’ll see if that was a mistake or not, haha. Good luck with the rest of your apps!

Fingers crossed for you! ?

3 hours ago, MjamesPDX said:

Nope! UO in Eugene☺️

I just applied to UO today ? AND NOW WE WAIT

I finished all my applications today and will now try not to obsessively refresh my application status tabs ?

all together I sent apps to 

UC Irvine 

UCSB

Tulane

U Michigan

U Oregon 

ive got all my fingers crossed for everyone! Let’s keep updating with news!

6 hours ago, justaylor said:

I finished all my applications today and will now try not to obsessively refresh my application status tabs ?

UC Irvine 

UCSB

Tulane

U Michigan

U Oregon 

I sent all of mine in today, too! Best of luck to you!

56 minutes ago, sv3030 said:

Finally finished! It didn't feel real until all my recs were submitted!!

Are any of you planning on traveling for interviews? Most of the schools I'm applying to seem to do it digitally but I'd also like to get to do some campus visits if I'm in the interview stage.

I'll probably just go in person to one or two. Since I'm applying to schools all in different states it would be too stressful to go to all of them in person... and expensive!

7 minutes ago, willennium said:

Finished my apps too! Relieved and mortified. Now I’m reading through the past 3 years of freak out forums to pass the time ?

18 hours ago, justaylor said:

UC Irvine 

UCSB

Tulane

U Michigan

U Oregon 

Don't forget about obsessively checking Google Analytics! ?

Hey Y'all! Long time listener, first time caller here. So far I've sent in apps to UConn, FSU, UIC, and Northwestern

I want to apply to Yale and one international school for the old shits and giggles. Maybe even Cranbrook, even though I'm joke broke.

Good luck y'all!! Make sure not to repress the anxiety, accept it-identify it, and keep working on yo' creative work!!

1 hour ago, justaylor said:

HAHAHA DAMN YOU! I totally did forget until LITERALLY NOW ???

Also forgot about Google Analytics! I got a hit from Middletown, New Jersey the day after submitting my Rutgers app. Gonna chalk that up to coincidence tho and try not to get too excited this early in the game ??

4 hours ago, willennium said:

Also forgot about Google Analytics! I got a hit from Middletown, New Jersey the day after submitting my Rutgers app. Gonna chalk that up to coincidence tho and try not to get too excited this early in the game ??

my direct visits went up 80% ? and most came from California. ILL BE IN MY ANXIETY NEST IF ANYONE NEEDS ME

Question

Do you think it's okay to play around with background colors when editing photographs of sculptures? I feel like some of my pieces look better on a background that isn't white, but I don't want the photos to come off as too edited if I choose a different color. 

3 minutes ago, tee_lemon said:

Question

Do you think it's okay to play around with background colors when editing photographs of sculptures? I feel like some of my pieces look better on a background that isn't white, but I don't want the photos to come off as too edited if I choose a different color. 

I think it’s fine as long as you can do it well and make it look natural but if you can’t I would leave it as is

On 12/5/2018 at 3:16 PM, Calmly Waiting said:

Does anyone have an inside scoop on the program at University of Illinois Chicago?

Interested digital media: photography, video, new media. I like what the faculty is up to, but haven't heard much about the environment/culture, or the quality of experience and education.

Best!

I am new to this site and also curious ?