MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Me too, @EastCoastPhoto, me too. ?

I'm wondering how common it is to interview and still get rejected? Some people already got acceptances from SAIC and I'm trying to hold out hope but I am Soooooo nervous.

Edited by acs000

2 hours ago, SerpentSkort said:

Also applied to their Art Video program and am waiting to hear anything ?

I emailed the Transmedia Department and was told that notifications are sent out in early-March. 

Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, warp said:

Syracuse Studio Art and Department of Trans Media are different programs, with different selection committees. I have spoken with the Studio Art director and know that they are usually a mid-March response, but that this year they are trying to fast track the process, and get notifications to people by the end of February. They are currently reviewing applications. I can't speak to what's happening in the Trans Media department. 

I went to visit the school last week and talk with everyone. The art program seems very interesting, and is spread across a few buildings on campus with ample facilities. It's a three-year program, and during that time you get to teach your own classes at the school (paid positions), not TA. This is a real advantage over other programs, imo. 

That makes me really happy to hear. I applied with the Transmedia Department and heard similar praise from one of my teachers whose an alum. I know RISD let’s you teach your own class of your design too. Makes me nervous, but then again, it’s a valuable experience! 

How did you like the Syracuse area?

22 hours ago, tee_lemon said:

Yes, in a very similar situation! I've heard back from two schools, one rejection, one interview. Still waiting on five schools (including my top choice). I've seen a couple of posts about other schools I've applied to which has had me worried. My girlfriend has been with me through all of the struggles of applying and now waiting. She is in law enforcement and plans to potentially transfer with me to wherever I end up so it's a huge waiting game for us. I know it's how the whole process works but I wish I would hear something soon! Some days I wake up optimistic and others I just sit and contemplate what I am going to do if this year doesn't pan out for me. 

On a side note, congrats about your proposal!! That's amazing, this must be a fantastic part of your life! Try not to focus on all the unknowns! I'm sure it will all work out. I've looked at your website a few times lol, I love your work. 

We'll all get through this! Even if that means applying again next year! Just think of all the possibilities this year could bring for our work! 

thank you so much! im seriously right there with you. I honestly am trying not to be resentful and bitter but, my life is being put on complete hold because of this and that absolutely infuriates me ?

but im just trying to stay positive. Thankfully my fiance is So supportive, definitely couldnt do it without her. Im glad you have support on your end too! :) ?

22 hours ago, arusse said:

@justaylor I am also waiting around for U Mich and U of O. So far I have only heard back from SAIC for PostBac and I am pretty sure the other Chicago schools I applied to have already had interviews. So, I am telling myself I am probably not going to get an MFA this year and I am making plans as if I am not getting in anywhere, because I would rather it be a huge surprise than a crushing disappointment. Black and white thinking, I know, but then.... what a great payoff! And it lights a fire under my butt to be optimize my studio schedule and make more work as opposed to worrying about acceptance letters every second of the freakin day (which I still do but to a smaller extent now).

~~~ALSO CONGRATUULAATIONS~~~

Thats an amazing way to think of it, thanks for the insights ?i really hope we both get good news!

2 hours ago, EastCoastPhoto said:

I looked at your website and work. If you somehow do not get into an MFA program, then I will have lost all faith in this system because your work is incredible! Best of luck!

Thank you so much! That truly means a lot to me! ❤️

1 hour ago, rosch said:

How did you like the Syracuse area?

As someone who lives in NY state, and has been to Syracuse a number of times, my opinion is that Syracuse is a mid-sized, fairly isolated, and very economically depressed city. The winters are long, and very snowy compared even to other areas in the state. The city itself is one reason I would be hesitant to go to the school. I bet the rent is relatively cheap though.   

34 minutes ago, warp said:

As someone who lives in NY state, and has been to Syracuse a number of times, my opinion is that Syracuse is a mid-sized, fairly isolated, and very economically depressed city. The winters are long, and very snowy compared even to other areas in the state. The city itself is one reason I would be hesitant to go to the school. I bet the rent is relatively cheap though.   

That’s good to know, thanks for the info! 

On 2/15/2019 at 12:26 AM, Herry said:

Hey :] If it's not too much to ask, how was the interview? My Skype interview is scheduled next week, and I really like the program from what I read on the website. I'm curious to hear from people who experienced talking to the faculties. 

Hi! I ended up having to change my interview to a later date so I haven't had it yet. Mine is the day after tomorrow. Did you have yours? If so, how did it go? :)

Hey all, did anyone here actually get accepted or interviews with UC Irvine (studio art not curatorial studies)?

sent pm's to everyone I can remember who mentioned applying, just trying to see if I missed anyone. It was my #1 so I'm just trying to get as much info as possible for applying next year.

thanks!!

19 hours ago, Karisjns said:

Was it Columbia College Chicago?

If so, what did they ask and what department were you applying for?

I applied for the MFA Photography program. They kept it pretty short and sweet but I tried to tell myself it's just because they have to go through a list and get moving. But they asked the major questions. Why grad school? Why Columbia? What's your work about? Would you be interested in a TA/Museum position and why? Do you have any questions? etc

20 hours ago, Karisjns said:

My Columbia interview is tomorrow morning, I'll tell you how it goes. 

How was your interview?! I honestly can't tell how mine went! Seemed good but it was short.

Just had my Columbia College phone interview, it was a little over 10 minutes. Panel style, seemed like there were about 5 people in the call. 

Questions they asked: 

Why do you want to go to graduate school at Columbia?

What artists and concepts inspire your work?

What projects or ideas are you currently working on? 

That's pretty much it, it was short and sweet compared to the other interviews I've done. They said decisions should be out by              mid-march, but could be a little later. 

MassArt interview tomorrow!

1 minute ago, savcal said:

How was your interview?! I honestly can't tell how mine went! Seemed good but it was short.

Yeah mine was about 11 minutes and they just casually rattled off some generic questions. However they did not ask me about TA or museum positions like in your interview, so I'm a little concerned about that?

On 2/18/2019 at 12:40 PM, Lemon2Lemonade said:

Low-Residency programs are relatively a new concept. Students worry about several points with this option:

1. Recognition of your degree: Somehow they might be seen as less prestigious than full-residency programs that include teaching assistantship positions. This however, is a matter of personal preference. A good idea is to talk with your academic advisor seeking professional feedback. Also make sure that they are accredited programs (e.g. NASAD accredited, click on the NASAD title for your Institutions credentials and accreditations)

2. Time invested in a low-residency program is longer than in a full-residency program. They usually last 2 academic years and 3 summers, though some programs last longer. They could be up to 3 academic years and 5 summers. Each campus stay could be between 4 weeks and 8 weeks or longer.

3. The idea that you have all year to do your studio work and only meet for a few days in the summer is a myth. You spend all year round working with on-line courses which are usually Contemporary Theory, Art History, Art Criticism and these are hard work since they involve papers, readings, sometimes midterms and finals. You do these on top of your studio work that is required.

4. Depending on which Institution is offering the Low-Residency MFA, the studio work is done during the academic year with a "Mentor" that could be

• (a) of your own choosing in your geographic location. He/She must be approved by your MFA Institution meaning they are usually required to have an MFA degree and some experience teaching, and it could be really hard to find a full-time artist that has those requirements in place
  • (b) chosen from a list that your Institution has on file for your geographic location.
  • (c) virtual tutoring by the faculty at your chosen MFA Institution. Meaning the Chair or other faculty meet with you virtually and have some set requirements for you to follow. 

5. Cost: They are much more expensive than a full-residency option! This was a total surprise for me. They seldom offer financial assistance, so tuition/fees/others are on you. To that you must add cost of lodging/food/transportation expenses for each time you are required to visit and stay at the Institution. Actually some do not even offer housing (e.g. Lesley U. in Boston which could be daunting to find temporary accommodation). Most places have set dates. For instance January (4 weeks), summer (8 weeks) and these could be done up to 8 times during the whole program. Some programs start the summer before and end the summer after. How are you going to transport your art back and forth? Are you a sculpture artist? Will your ceramics survive? Do you have large paintings? How about installing/uninstalling installation art?

Here are some programs, but there are many more, so feel free to add to this list:

Lesley U in Boston (provides a set list of Mentors)

Vermont College of Fine Arts (has recently changed professors amongst its faculty)

SAIC (very new)

Bard College (the most expensive of them all)

PAFA (virtual Mentoring accepted only with their own faculty)

Wilson College in PA (NOT NASAD ACCREDITED)

MassArt-Boston

MECA Maine College of Art 

Low-residency MFAs are said to be for "the working artist who cannot relocate", however some things to ponder are: how you can pay this without having a full time job at the same time? And will you have time to devote to all that is required every semester/summer non-stop for 3+ years? 

It is just a matter of preference, really. Please do your research. To me it was just a matter of not finding a full-funded low-residency MFA, but for others it might be the perfect solution. Hope this info helps!

@Portola I would say that @Lemon2Lemonade is pretty spot on from the research i've done. I applied to 5 low-res mfa programs.  I'm a high school art teacher, 10 years out of undergrad, and I've maintained a regular studio practice, so the low-res format works best for me at this point, especially because I'll be able to maintain my full time teaching position and travel to the campus during my summer breaks.  I applied to Bard, SAIC, SFAI, PAFA, and Northern Vermont University @ Vermont Studio Center.  The biggest drawback that I'm realizing for most programs (aside from Bard) is that you are working with a limited summer faculty.  Of course there are other pros/cons of both formats, but the low res is ideal for people in my position and just as rigorous.  So far I've been accepted to PAFA (50% scholarship), interviewed at SFAI, and got a rejection from SAIC.  Still waiting on Bard and NVU.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:28 PM, ackey said:

Thanks! When I asked if I there was any flexibility on their deadline (March 1), they said there was no guarantee my scholarship wouldn't get offered to someone else, so I feel like I have to enroll just in case. I haven't actually had the chance to even visit yet.

Has anyone heard from MICA mount royal (interdisciplinary)?

@ackey  I was offered a scholarship for SVA as well. But I saw no deadline of March 1. All I see online is April 15  to place a deposit. Where did you see that March deadline? Now I’m starting to panic a little lol

27 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

Yeah mine was about 11 minutes and they just casually rattled off some generic questions. However they did not ask me about TA or museum positions like in your interview, so I'm a little concerned about that?

I honestly think I probably mentioned in my essay that I want to teach!!! I said it like 3 times before they even asked haha. I think that may have prompted them to ask. Don't worry! Not to be creepy but I looked at your website and your stuff is solid!!! 

1 minute ago, savcal said:

I honestly think I probably mentioned in my essay that I want to teach!!! I said it like 3 times before they even asked haha. I think that may have prompted them to ask. Don't worry! Not to be creepy but I looked at your website and your stuff is solid!!! 

Thanks, I definitely have some growing to do in my art still, which is why I'm pursuing my MFA.

Hopefully that's the case, because I am relying on some sort of assistantship in order to afford any of the programs!

Hope we get some good news!

Just got an e-mail from NCSU to check application portal! And.. it was an acceptance! 

Not my first choice but def gonna consider it :) I applied for the 3 year MGD track! Didn't recieve any funding info, though!

Edited by Pallavi.Daga

7 minutes ago, savcal said:

36 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

I had an interview with them and they also mentioned TA/Museum stuff. I am assuming the interviewers from yesterday might've been different than today which is why? Who did you interview with, @Karisjns ?

22 minutes ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Just got an e-mail from NCSU to check application portal! And.. it was an acceptance! 

Not my first choice but not as bad also :) I applied for the 3 year MGD track! Didn't recieve any funding info, though!

CONGRATS