MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

7 hours ago, Sophie K said:

Did anyone receive acceptance from RISD Digital+Media department? I got informed during the interview that the department will get back in touch on February 20th which is today. and didn't get anything from the department yet.. so I'm getting nervous!

Just got an email a minute ago — I got into the D+M program!

Hi everyone! Have you received the result of the MFA photography of SAIC. I am an international student and I have received a email from DHL saying that SAIC has mailed something to me.  But I don't know what is in it. 

I know the student in USA will receive a call for the interview result, so I am wondering if anyone has received the result call. 

Edited by Zhuyan

On 2/7/2019 at 8:13 PM, Conviction said:

Has anyone heard back from Pratt IxD?

6 minutes ago, Tinu said:

Not yet.

i interviewed with them today. it was shorter than my other interviews and i'm not entirely sure how it went, which is an odd feeling to say the least. i hope you guys hear soon! 

10 minutes ago, Hello_Cello said:

@beep beep When did you apply to Pratt? I applied to IxD on 2.17...

i applied to painting on 1/5, i believe. it was the earliest deadline and i do feel like by the feb deadlines rolled around, i'd really tightened my essays up and even added a few pieces, so....sigh. anyway, yeah, very different deadlines, that's interesting. sorry, i misread the IxD as like the old xD emoticon and didn't realize you were asking about a specific department. lmaoo

Edited by beep beep

Hey guys, I haven't been online in a while.

Just a quick update on how things are going: I interviewed with Oxford last year but was rejected immediately this year. I received a rejection from Hunter too. I had my Skype interview with Cornell, which I think went well but you never know until you hear back... Same with Slade. My next one will be Yale on the 28th. Definitely eager to get through the interview stage. Still haven't heard back from several schools, so hopefully that'll happen soon.

Congrats to all of you who've had interviews and got accepted already, that's really great! :)

5 hours ago, Sophie K said:

Me too ! :D Congratulations to you and me!

Yesssss! I don’t hear back from two of my programs until late March to early April, so I’m concerned about the “reply by March 20” deadline ?

Did you get any financial aid info in the email? Mine said to wait for a letter...really hoping for some aid!

On 2/14/2019 at 8:49 AM, Chauncey said:

Got an interview invitation from MICA 2-yr GD!

Have you interviewed yet? I spoke with Ellen Lupton this morning, and I feel like I did a terrible job explaining my work.

Just had my MassArt video interview. It went exactly 30 minutes and was hosted by only two interviewers. 

Questions they asked: 

Why do you want to go to MassArt? 

Why do you want to go to graduate school? What will you gain from it? 

What does your art communicate?

Why do you make art? 

Are there any artists or authors that inspire your work?

They also asked me to choose a piece I submitted to my portfolio and talk about it with them. 

Over all, it was probably the best interview experience I have had so far. They asked me some very important and deep questions about my work and it was actually really refreshing. I've been getting interviews that were kind of streamline, just asking generic questions they ask everyone. But MassArt got really deep and conceptual with me and I got to talk about some really important things in my art that I really haven't gotten the opportunity to talk about with previous interviewers. 

Pretty good experience, but be ready for some tough questions about your work!

Good luck!

Edited by Karisjns

10 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

Just had my MassArt video interview. It went exactly 30 minutes and was hosted by only two interviewers. 

Questions they asked: 

Why do you want to go to MassArt? 

Why do you want to go to graduate school? What will you gain from it? 

What does your art communicate?

Why do you make art? 

Are there any artists or authors that inspire your work?

They also asked me to choose a piece I submitted to my portfolio and talk about it with them. 

Over all, it was probably the best interview experience I have had so far. They asked me some very important and deep questions about my work and it was actually really refreshing. I've been getting interviews that were kind of streamline, just asking generic questions they ask everyone. But MassArt got really deep and conceptual with me and I got to talk about some really important things in my art that I really haven't gotten the opportunity to talk about with previous interviewers. 

Pretty good experience, but be ready for some tough questions about your work!

Good luck!

MassArt seems like such a great school. Unfortunately can't afford it myself! Wish they offered more funding.

Just got accepted to Penn State via Email!!! I am crying, this is so incredibly validating because I wasn't even going to apply this year because I didn't think my work was ready or good enough. Also this forum rocks you all rock, everybody rocks.  

6 minutes ago, henryfive said:

MassArt seems like such a great school. Unfortunately can't afford it myself! Wish they offered more funding.

I'm in the same boat, really. I thought I might as well interview and maybe there's some great funding that I don't know about lol. Doesn't hurt to find out! 

4 minutes ago, arusse said:

Just got accepted to Penn State via Email!!! I am crying, this is so incredibly validating because I wasn't even going to apply this year because I didn't think my work was ready or good enough. Also this forum rocks you all rock, everybody rocks.  

Congratulations!!!

10 minutes ago, arusse said:

Yessss! So awesome!

I just had an interview with RISD sculpture department yesterday. I was rather nervous beforehand but I found the four interviewers to have a nice energy so it was an enjoyable experience overall. In retrospect there are a few things I wish I had mentioned or articulated better but so it goes!

They asked me:

Can you speak about the themes in your work?

Why RISD sculpture in particular?

What do you think you'll get out of grad school in general?

What questions did I have for them?

Where do I see myself and my work in the future?

Hope this is helpful!

Kat

Edited by kitkat414
My earlier post was a reply posted in the wrong spot

10 hours ago, beep beep said:

i applied to painting on 1/5, i believe. it was the earliest deadline and i do feel like by the feb deadlines rolled around, i'd really tightened my essays up and even added a few pieces, so....sigh. anyway, yeah, very different deadlines, that's interesting. sorry, i misread the IxD as like the old xD emoticon and didn't realize you were asking about a specific department. lmaoo

Thanks good luck! The original deadline was 1.5, but they seem to have extended most programs to 2.17. I am just going to email them and see when I should be expecting notice.