MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

16 hours ago, tee_lemon said:

Question

Do you think it's okay to play around with background colors when editing photographs of sculptures? I feel like some of my pieces look better on a background that isn't white, but I don't want the photos to come off as too edited if I choose a different color. 

Fellow sculptor here. ? I would be wary of any editing that isn't just your basic lighting or spot correction. I think you'd be better off actually rephotographing the work in front of a different color background (if possible) rather than doing it digitally. Regardless, I'd stick with a neutral color, unless your work is meant to be part of a larger installation where you would make the walls a less traditional color when displaying them in real life.

6 hours ago, Kvir said:

Fellow sculptor here. ? I would be wary of any editing that isn't just your basic lighting or spot correction. I think you'd be better off actually rephotographing the work in front of a different color background (if possible) rather than doing it digitally. Regardless, I'd stick with a neutral color, unless your work is meant to be part of a larger installation where you would make the walls a less traditional color when displaying them in real life.

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably end up keeping them all neutral, even though changing it up is so tempting D: (Btw I just looked at your website and I love your work!) 

Any thoughts on mentioning specific work in artist statements? 
Seems like most programs want a hybrid artist statement and statement of purpose and it feels much more natural to mention individual pieces. But for those that ask for them separately (like the UC schools) anyone have any insight? 

In most contexts I'd avoid mentioning specific works in an artist statement but knowing the audience has (probably) just seen the works is this a silly hesitation?

I've got a feeling it doesn't matter too much as long as it's well written but still a bit frightened of looking silly.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by latenightlatte

Does anyone know if interviews are usually Skype/video interviews? And if not, are we expected to pay for the airfare/lodging in order to do an on-site interview?

I guess a third question would be if most programs even DO interviews?

On 1/7/2019 at 6:32 PM, latenightlatte said:

Any thoughts on mentioning specific work in artist statements? 
Seems like most programs want a hybrid artist statement and statement of purpose and it feels much more natural to mention individual pieces. But for those that ask for them separately (like the UC schools) anyone have any insight? 

In most contexts I'd avoid mentioning specific works in an artist statement but knowing the audience has (probably) just seen the works is this a silly hesitation?

I've got a feeling it doesn't matter too much as long as it's well written but still a bit frightened of looking silly.

Good luck everyone!

I think you should mention specific artworks if you use them in a way that connects to your artist statement as a whole. It seems to me that a lot of schools want to see a strong common thread throughout your work and more or less a singular vision as an artist. As long as you tie in the individual works in a way that strengthens the whole, I say go for it. I mentioned one individual work in my letters because it sums up a lot of the aspects of my current series.

6 hours ago, Bodys said:

Does anyone know if interviews are usually Skype/video interviews? And if not, are we expected to pay for the airfare/lodging in order to do an on-site interview?

I guess a third question would be if most programs even DO interviews?

Depends on the school. It usually says on their application pages if they do interviews or not. I know some schools only do Skype/video/phone interviews that way it is equal for everyone including those who can't afford to be there in person. Some schools, such as UT Austin, will pay travel expenses for accepted students before the prospective student makes their decision. However, most schools do expect the individual to pay for their own travel for interviews, but also offer the option to do Skype/etc. interviews. The downfall of that, of course, is that the people who go for in-person interviews have a lot of advantages. I am only planning to pay to travel for one in-person interview and that will be the school I'm most interested in out of my offers. As far as I know most MFA programs do interviews but some don't.

I am working on my MFA painting application to Alfred University. Their website doesn't have a lot of info about the admissions process and the slideroom asks for an artist statement rather than a statement of purpose. Should I treat it as the same thing....including why I want to go for MFA and why their school? Or just send in my straight up short and sweet artist statement. Has anyone applied here? 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, ACarney said:

I am working on my MFA painting application to Alfred University. Their website doesn't have a lot of info about the admissions process and the slideroom asks for an artist statement rather than a statement of purpose. Should I treat it as the same thing....including why I want to go for MFA and why their school? Or just send in my straight up short and sweet artist statement. Has anyone applied here? 

Thanks! 

Some schools want you to talk about your work mostly and other schools want you to talk about your study and professional goals mostly. You should give them what they ask for which is an artist statement. However, you can certainly add in why you want to go to their MFA program! 

4 hours ago, ACarney said:

Thanks! 

I applied there for sculpture last year and just sent what they asked for, so my artist statement. I did get an interview with them but ultimately I was rejected. Rejection was probably due not so much on what was in or not in my application but more to the fact that I was nervous wreck for my interview and couldn't put together a coherent sentence about my own work. ?

1 hour ago, henryfive said:

Got a call from Ohio State University today! I have an interview later this week. ?

I applied there too but I haven't heard anything yet ? Which area of concentration did you apply for, if you don't mind me asking? I applied for Art and Tech.

36 minutes ago, Scarletttrust said:

I applied there too but I haven't heard anything yet ? Which area of concentration did you apply for, if you don't mind me asking? I applied for Art and Tech.

It was for a another concentration. I wouldn’t worry! I think it’s common for various departments to contact people at different times.

Not technically an MFA but is anyone applying to interaction design at cmu? 

I'm thinking about submitting an application for the MPS but I can't find anything about admission rates online. I don't want to throw $75 down the hole if I have no chance. 

Hello!

I just finished sending out all my applications! I am a painter and sometimes combine other disciplines, I applied to:

Northwestern University

University of Michigan

Cornell University

SAIC

RISD

University of Notre Dame

Ruskin School of Art

NYU

Funding was a big factor when I was selecting my list, so let's hope for the best! Also, I am surprised this forum is not as active as previous years (secretly hoping there will be fewer applicants).

14 hours ago, painter1612 said:

Funding was a big factor when I was selecting my list, so let's hope for the best! Also, I am surprised this forum is not as active as previous years (secretly hoping there will be fewer applicants).

UT Austin grad coordinator mentioned during their open day that graduate school application rate is down in the U.S in general in the last two years. So maybe there would really be fewer people applying... 

1 hour ago, Meaou said:

UT Austin grad coordinator mentioned during their open day that graduate school application rate is down in the U.S in general in the last two years. So maybe there would really be fewer people applying... 

Oooo I’ve been secretly hoping this too! This forum didn’t start until October this year and previous years started as early as July.

16 hours ago, willennium said:

Oooo I’ve been secretly hoping this too! This forum didn’t start until October this year and previous years started as early as July.

I know! I started it because I was shocked there wasn’t already one in the works! So yeah I am also hoping there aren’t as many people applying ?

On 1/3/2019 at 9:12 AM, henryfive said:

I'll probably just go in person to one or two. Since I'm applying to schools all in different states it would be too stressful to go to all of them in person... and expensive!

Yes!  I applied to a few schools in cities I haven't actually been to and would want to check out in person if I had a foot in the door...but definitely can't make 6 different trips to visit everywhere I applied!  We'll see when the time comes.  I finished my applications a week or so ago and am forgetting that some of them have due dates that haven't even passed yet, and so am definitely being obsessive about email a little early ?‍♀️ Good luck everybody! 

On 10/3/2018 at 2:55 AM, justaylor said:

"I'm not currently entertaining any programs that don't offer full funding. But thats just a personal thing for me."

Would you be upset if you did not get into a MFA program the first year of applying? Do you have a plan B if you do not get accepted?

The reason I am asking because you made the statement above. Those paid programs have such a high application rate that they are difficult to get in. Many of the tuition based universities have scholarships and you might qualify for those. Stay open-minded.  Give yourself an application budget and determine how many application you can afford. I was told 10 are a minimum but it's really much like a lottery. 

On 10/9/2018 at 7:43 PM, cfree said:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm working towards applying this year, still looking into different programs. I'm wondering where you all are seeking feedback on your portfolios. I finished undergrad last June but relocated to New York City after graduation. I am planning on attending Graduate Portfolio Review day but was interested in hearing any advice you all may have. 

-Ciaran Freeman

ciaranfreeman.com

Some universities offer portfolio reviews. For instance MICA and PAFA

You might consider SACI Italy as well. A smaller program in Florence Italy. https://saci-florence.edu

The program was recommended to me by my art history professor. I am now in my second semester. It is a great program for self-motivated MFA candidates. But I was told so are most MFA programs. Depending on where you go you are pretty much on your own. What I like about SACI if I don't find what I need I can do a DIS self-directed studies and work with an artist from Italy. This is what I am doing this year I am partnered up with a local artist.

If you rent your housing independently you can save a lot of money. Language is not an issue since SACI is an American University and in Florence most everyone understands English. If you speak Italian I was told the Italian Universities are fantastic and of course cost less.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:00 AM, Meaou said:

Did they say why the rate is down?