MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

21 hours ago, afein said:

I was accepted also. Is it your first choice?

I like the program but I am bit concern about if the tuition worth the outcome, plus I am from IT background with arts as my interests, it will be a big shift to me from my current career. I am still waiting for the other two schools. Did you have interview with them? I didn't have any interview, I feel an interview might give me a better sense about the program.

6 hours ago, youlookguilty said:

Received a rejection notice the other day via UMass Amherst's online portal.

All I've heard back from out of the 7 schools I applied to has been Yale, MECA, and UMass. Only acceptance was MECA, but their program is still unaffordable for me even with their scholarship and fin. aid package. Does anyone else think it's BS that these "TA positions" provide a stipend of only $3k per year?! 

Anyway, I'm going to chalk it up as a loss for me.  I'll develop my work some more,  and perhaps apply again in a couple of years since I'm fresh out of undergrad; although I'm thinking graduate school may not be the path for me at this point. Congratulations and good luck to everyone accepted into their programs! 

I guess it depends on what you are expected to do as a TA. I know several programs offer around $20k/year to TA as an MFA student (plus tuition assistance/free tuition), and I would say that MECA’s $3k is certainly in the minority. 

19 hours ago, 13011820833 said:

Congratulations!!! When you got your calarts offer?

I received the offer on Wednesday, March 13 — surprisingly quick after the interview day.

Hey all! Looking through this forum, I noticed a couple of people have had interview requests from SUNY Purchase. I also had an interview with them a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone heard from them yet by any chance,  accepted or rejected? After sending a thank you email to the Professor/Head of the MFA program, she mentioned that decisions would be made by the end of the week and that was the first week of March. 

Congratulations for those accepted and selected as MFA candidates! It's my second year applying, I had slightly better luck this year with 2 interviews (interviewed with Cornell, second year in a row but waitlisted again) and applied to 6 schools total. 

9 minutes ago, SeriouslyStellar said:

Hey all! Looking through this forum, I noticed a couple of people have had interview requests from SUNY Purchase. I also had an interview with them a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone heard from them yet by any chance,  accepted or rejected? After sending a thank you email to the Professor/Head of the MFA program, she mentioned that decisions would be made by the end of the week and that was the first week of March. 

Congratulations for those accepted and selected as MFA candidates! It's my second year applying, I had slightly better luck this year with 2 interviews (interviewed with Cornell, second year in a row but waitlisted again) and applied to 6 schools total. 

I interviewed with them several weeks ago, and got a call from the director of the program the following day offering admission and some scholarship. I ultimately decided to decline the offer, but prior to that I was told that they had a first choice list of candidates they were calling immediately, and depending on responses they would then move on to the second list of candidates they were considering. 

42 minutes ago, daftpostpunk said:

I interviewed with them several weeks ago, and got a call from the director of the program the following day offering admission and some scholarship. I ultimately decided to decline the offer, but prior to that I was told that they had a first choice list of candidates they were calling immediately, and depending on responses they would then move on to the second list of candidates they were considering. 

Did you go in person or did a Skype interview? I'm just curious because I didn't have the financial means to do it in person and if you did do it in person, what was interview process like, mainly the questions and the tour itself? 

I decided to email admissions anyway because I would like to hear if officially got rejected or not.

Congrats on the acceptance even though you declined. Which school have you committed to instead of Purchase? 

Edited by SeriouslyStellar

Rejected from Cranbrook so that's it! All I got is Pratt and with the amount of aid I'll get I will prospectively get I can't attend Pratt either unless they give me more aid so this year was sadly a bust, but I am waiting on some residencies to reply so I have that. Much power to those still waiting and those that got in. I'll see you guys next year if they don't give me more aid for Pratt.

Malik

23 minutes ago, Aatt said:

Just got a risd rejection, but was expecting it 

Me, too. I didn't even get invitation for an interview:)

38 minutes ago, cixelated said:

Rejected from Cranbrook so that's it! All I got is Pratt and with the amount of aid I'll get I will prospectively get I can't attend Pratt either unless they give me more aid so this year was sadly a bust, but I am waiting on some residencies to reply so I have that. Much power to those still waiting and those that got in. I'll see you guys next year if they don't give me more aid for Pratt.

Malik

Try requesting more aid and explain your financial situation to them! It wouldn't hurt!

Just now, Little Lulu said:

what program? I am waiting for a reply to the MFA graphic design program.

well never mind just look at my application portal and I did not make it.

Did anyone get news about MICA yet?

14 minutes ago, Little Lulu said:

well never mind just look at my application portal and I did not make it.

Did anyone get news about MICA yet?

Same here. Saw status update in application portal, rejected.

Just got waitlisted at MICA via email from the director of graduate admissions!

It was my first choice, I'm still so nervous, god. ?

But should be hearing from them in late April, according to the mail.

Edited by Pallavi.Daga

hi all - 

Has anyone heard from Columbia MFA in art (new genres)? 

I have been accepted to Cal Arts (mfa in art) vs. School of Art Institute of Chicago (mfa in performance) and trying to understand the pros and cons of these programs, as well as columbia as I have to tell SAIC on friday and still haven't heard back from Columbia post interview. 

Any insight about the programs, reputations, etc., would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks!

Hey! Has anyone here been accepted to UCLA for sculpture or new genres? I didn’t end up applying this year (having regrets about that) but am debating between accepting another school or opting out this year and applying to UCLA next year. 

Welp. All my responses came in. Rejections from MICA. Waitlisted, or some such based on a pretty vague email, at GSU. Going to the Admitted Students Day at SMFA at the end of this month. I guess everything rides on their financial aid offer. Pretty stressed and disappointed and frustrated.

But excited about the prospect of Boston!! 

52 minutes ago, Little Lulu said:

Just Heard from MICA did not get accepted or even waitlisted.

Now I have to decide if I want to go to OTIS MFA Graphic Design.

Thoughts? Would really appreciate it.

I don’t know too much about the Otis program but it came up slot when I was researching schools as a pretty good program. I didn’t apply to any of the Cali schools, but I think the same lady that heads the Yale GD program started the Otis program.