MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

On 1/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, Bodys said:

Does anyone know if interviews are usually Skype/video interviews? And if not, are we expected to pay for the airfare/lodging in order to do an on-site interview?

I guess a third question would be if most programs even DO interviews?

Mine was a Skype interview because the program is in Europe. You can request skype interviews but for the most part, they prefer in person. The cost is on the student from what I understand. I gather if a program really loves you they might provide a stipend for travel. 

1 hour ago, darsenbehelm said:

Wow, Oregon is really making the rounds this year. Looks like an amazing program and great part of the country for focus to complete a 3 year degree. I too applied :) good luck!

It really is!! Good luck as well! Hoping to hear some news soon :)

Did anyone apply to/hear back from Madison yet? Applied with a print media focus in:

UW-Madison

University of Minnesota

Northern Illinois University

PNCA

And now we wait and see. ? I'd love to hear book/podcast suggestions! I need another hobby outside of obsessively checking my website analytics.

2 hours ago, taylorjohnson said:

Did anyone apply to/hear back from Madison yet? Applied with a print media focus in:

UW-Madison

University of Minnesota

PNCA

And now we wait and see. ? I'd love to hear book/podcast suggestions! I need another hobby outside of obsessively checking my website analytics.

I applied to UW Madison but haven't heard anything back yet.  I did get an analytics hit from them last week.  Both Madison and UT Austin had early deadlines and I'm getting antsy with those.

1 hour ago, chartblob said:

I applied to UW Madison but haven't heard anything back yet.  I did get an analytics hit from them last week.  Both Madison and UT Austin had early deadlines and I'm getting antsy with those.

Dang, I haven't gotten any hits from them yet. Madison and UMN were my early deadlines, also my top choices. Hopefully we hear something soon. Good luck to you!

19 hours ago, taylorjohnson said:

Dang, I haven't gotten any hits from them yet. Madison and UMN were my early deadlines, also my top choices. Hopefully we hear something soon. Good luck to you!

Madison is one of my top choices too - best of luck to you too!!

On 1/13/2019 at 4:35 PM, MjamesPDX said:

I can’t see the quote you were responding to anymore, so they must have deleted their original comment..

I’ve only seen one person on here so far who got an interview notice.. anyone else hear back anything or get some foot traffic on their websites?

So far I’ve applied to Yale, Tyler (hit from Philly on my website), SAIC, Carnegie, UConn (hit from    Mansfield CT), SMFA. Still left to submit apps to: MICA (already got hit on website, been in pretty close contact with them throughout), Tulane, GSU, and possibly Purchase. Yes, I’m one of the supposedly rare kind that is applying to 10 schools. Spent 2 years researching schools and still couldn’t narrow it down. Yes, it is laborious. My theory is that a couple schools I likely won’t get into, a couple schools aren’t ideal so my decision hinges on the aid packages, a couple locations aren’t ideal, so again, it depends on the aid package, and one school is a safety in case something crazy happens and I need to/want to stay in Atlanta. I’m 34 and a bit jaded, I know the politics often involved in this process, I have experienced the untimely unexpected events that screw plans up, and I’ve seen the unheard of strokes of luck. So, I’ll take my chances :) 

Anyone else get website hits? I told myself I wasn’t gonna freak out in anticipation but here we are ??‍♀️

On 1/19/2019 at 8:56 PM, taylorjohnson said:

UW-Madison

University of Minnesota

PNCA

Have you read Ninth Street Women yet? That’s a good way to distract yourself. 

35 minutes ago, jess_is_over_it said:

So far I’ve applied to Yale, Tyler (hit from Philly on my website), SAIC, Carnegie, UConn (hit from    Mansfield CT), SMFA. Still left to submit apps to: MICA (already got hit on website, been in pretty close contact with them throughout), Tulane, GSU, and possibly Purchase. Yes, I’m one of the supposedly rare kind that is applying to 10 schools. Spent 2 years researching schools and still couldn’t narrow it down. Yes, it is laborious. My theory is that a couple schools I likely won’t get into, a couple schools aren’t ideal so my decision hinges on the aid packages, a couple locations aren’t ideal, so again, it depends on the aid package, and one school is a safety in case something crazy happens and I need to/want to stay in Atlanta. I’m 34 and a bit jaded, I know the politics often involved in this process, I have experienced the untimely unexpected events that screw plans up, and I’ve seen the unheard of strokes of luck. So, I’ll take my chances :) 

Anyone else get website hits? I told myself I wasn’t gonna freak out in anticipation but here we are ??‍♀️

I only got a hit from one school and it was the same day I submitted my application haven't heard anything from them yet. On the other hand, I was interviewed and accepted by OSU but didn't get any hits from Ohio during the process. I also am obsessively checking my analytics but I think a school can be interested in you and not look at your website.

13 minutes ago, henryfive said:

I only got a hit from one school and it was the same day I submitted my application haven't heard anything from them yet. On the other hand, I was interviewed and accepted by OSU but didn't get any hits from Ohio during the process. I also am obsessively checking my analytics but I think a school can be interested in you and not look at your website.

Another thing to consider is that analytics doesn't always capture every website hit. Have seen people pull up my site, but have had no hits from that city show up from that day, for example.

Hey, long-time listener, first-time caller.

I'm not worried about website traffic. At the Yale open house, an applicant asked the panel members if websites ever come into play. They said that frequently, there isn't enough time to look through websites. Additionally, whatever you have on your website that you're hoping for schools to come across should BE IN your application so they don't miss anything important. 

54 minutes ago, babsi said:

I'm not worried about website traffic. At the Yale open house, an applicant asked the panel members if websites ever come into play. They said that frequently, there isn't enough time to look through websites. Additionally, whatever you have on your website that you're hoping for schools to come across should BE IN your application so they don't miss anything important. 

Definitely!

3 hours ago, babsi said:

For sure. I feel like I'm mostly checking my analytics as something to do while I wait to get real news back!  It's certainly not necessarily an indication that a school likes you because they looked at your website (and not a bad thing if you don't get hits from the areas your schools are in), but it's kind of fun to see cities you're looking for pop up. 

Edited by chartblob

Hi I’m a graphic designer and I finished my MFA applications last week. I’ll be graduating with my B.A. soon. I double majored in Graphic Design and Interactive Media. I applied to:

-Yale 

-RISD

-Boston University

-MassArt

Good luck everyone and hope we hear back soon. ?

Edited by GummyPegasus

On 1/14/2019 at 6:22 PM, MjamesPDX said:

Trying desperately to distract myself with good books and new studio projects. Anyone got a list of yummy reads? Currently re-reading Art & Fear, but would love some other recommendations!

Im about through with The 12 Million Dollar Shark- The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art and I have learned SO much from it. It starts to get kind of heavy and difficult throughout the middle when the author is really getting into the economics of auction houses and private sales but its definitely worth the read. I am much more confident talking about the contemporary art market now and I really recommend it to any one going after a Masters.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:37 PM, henryfive said:

You guys! In just a couple of weeks we're probably going to start hearing back from a lot of schools. Nerve-racking but exciting. So many feelings ?

haha this genuinely makes me want to throw up out of anxiety.....like im looking back at the previous years freak outs and they started interviewing in early to mid February. AHHH. 

18 hours ago, jess_is_over_it said:

My girlfriend has banned me checking my website because the last time I got so deep into checking IP addresses she said I looked like stalker.... BUT SHES AT WORK SO I JUST CHECKED. 

Hits from Southern California (UCI and UCSB)

Hits from Oregon

One hit from Michigan

Nothing from Louisiana (Tulane)