MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

24 minutes ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Welp. All my responses came in. Rejections from MICA. Waitlisted, or some such based on a pretty vague email, at GSU. Going to the Admitted Students Day at SMFA at the end of this month. I guess everything rides on their financial aid offer. Pretty stressed and disappointed and frustrated.

But excited about the prospect of Boston!! 

When did you hear from Georgia? I’m still waiting and I just want some closure ? 

congrats on your acceptance to SMFA!!! :) 

On 3/14/2019 at 4:54 PM, notyrs said:

Oh no, sorry I never saw this tee_lemon!! I hope it went okay!!! Did you interview in person?? how did it go??

I think it went okay! I didn’t really expect to get an interview there so I was a little nervous ? I went in person, tickets were pretty decent and I wanted to check out the school and meet with everyone! 

Have you heard anything yet?? 

13 minutes ago, tee_lemon said:

When did you hear from Georgia? I’m still waiting and I just want some closure ? 

congrats on your acceptance to SMFA!!! :) 

I emailed them at the general email they listed. Wesley Harvey responded a couple days later. 

We have sent out the first round of acceptance letters. However, just because you have not heard from us does not mean that your status will not change in the coming weeks as we gain more knowledge about our acceptances and any possible fundingimprovements within departments. Please know that we appreciate your patience and we hope to have additional information for you soon.”

So not specifically “waitlisted” but basically. Idk.

3 hours ago, Little Lulu said:

Just Heard from MICA did not get accepted or even waitlisted.

Now I have to decide if I want to go to OTIS MFA Graphic Design.

Thoughts? Would really appreciate it.

I got rejected at Risd too, and honestly am heavily considering Otis as well. So far I love the classes they offer, seems like a good program though not as highly ranked as other schools. Trying to gather more insight too lol.

Waitlisted at MICA Mt Royal! Since I never heard anything after the application deadline, I had written them off as a rejection. I'm honestly a little confused by the timeline though, since I wouldn't hear if a space opens up until mid-April through even possibly late July, and it seems like I would need to have my mind made up about any other schools by April 15? 

How likely is it to get into a school off of their waitlist, and how many people does MICA usually waitlist?

I also got into SVA, but I'm not sure if it will be financially doable with the amount of aid I received ?

23 hours ago, SeriouslyStellar said:

Did you go in person or did a Skype interview? I'm just curious because I didn't have the financial means to do it in person and if you did do it in person, what was interview process like, mainly the questions and the tour itself? 

I decided to email admissions anyway because I would like to hear if officially got rejected or not.

Congrats on the acceptance even though you declined. Which school have you committed to instead of Purchase? 

I was able to do the interview in person. I was asked briefly about several of my pieces (primarily questions related to my process), but to be honest it felt a little like they were more trying to sell me the program than anything else. Very conversational interview. Was myself, the director of the program, and a current student. 

The tour itself was fine. I wasn't swept away by the facilities, the studios were a bit small and were only semi private. Additionally it seemed many students commuted to campus by car, and the campus itself was relatively isolated from the surrounding towns. 

Thanks for the congrats! Although the program wasn't a good fit for me it's undeniably a strong program. I'm most likely going to end up at PAFA, primarily for funding related reasons. 

On 2/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, Hello_Cello said:

(Mobile and have no idea how to delete the quote lol, sorry, not sure why it won't allow it on my end)

Heard from CCS today - accepted with 26k/year (MFA Integrated design) 

Illinois Tech - accepted (MDes)

CMU - waitlisted (MDes) 

Still waiting on Syracuse (MFA Design) anyone heard anything back yet? 

Edited by Amanadi

On 3/18/2019 at 9:04 PM, prodmod said:

Any other accepted UIC applicants going to the MFA show / accepted student night this Friday?

Still never heard back from them, status still shows they are waiting for decision. Which program did you apply for and when did you hear back?

14 minutes ago, SenatorCinema said:

Still never heard back from them, status still shows they are waiting for decision. Which program did you apply for and when did you hear back?

New media but I heard back at the end of January.

3 hours ago, ackey said:

Waitlisted at MICA Mt Royal! Since I never heard anything after the application deadline, I had written them off as a rejection. I'm honestly a little confused by the timeline though, since I wouldn't hear if a space opens up until mid-April through even possibly late July, and it seems like I would need to have my mind made up about any other schools by April 15? 

How likely is it to get into a school off of their waitlist, and how many people does MICA usually waitlist?

I also got into SVA, but I'm not sure if it will be financially doable with the amount of aid I received ?

Hey! I got waitlisted at MICA too. So I had a conversation with an admission counselor about the same thing. If you have any further doubts, just use the chat feature on their website, its pretty awesome!

You must have recieved a survey link, you can just fill out your deadlines there and they'll fast track the process. :) He said they'll try and get back by April 13 (which is a very short deadline) but if its your first choice like mine, I highly recommend it. 

However does anyone know How likely is it to get into a school off of their waitlist? I'm curious too. The counselor told me there are 21 seats and except the ones accepted, 19 others were waitlisted for each program (top 40).

Edited by Pallavi.Daga

23 minutes ago, SenatorCinema said:

I would recommend mailing the person you interviewed with. I was constantly in touch with the director of the program (in my case, MDes Graphic Design) and she had sent out an unofficial mail as the graduate school process is somewhat mechanical and takes a little more time, as said by her.

6 hours ago, Aatt said:

I don’t know too much about the Otis program but it came up slot when I was researching schools as a pretty good program. I didn’t apply to any of the Cali schools, but I think the same lady that heads the Yale GD program started the Otis program. 

Hey, Where are you planning to go, finally? Long time, no see :)

On 3/18/2019 at 1:16 PM, jess_is_over_it said:

Rejection from Tyler. Kind of irritated that I had to email multiple times and was finally informed that I should be checking on TUportal - which I was never given any log in code for until asking via email on friday - FYI this is an entirely differ t site than the initial application so if you are waiting to hear from Tyler still you might want to make sure you are checking the TUportal, not the application site. I had a lot of system errors when submitting my portfolio and additional material to Temple/Tyler and it took emails to several people to finally get a response. A member of their IT Dept wasn’t able to solve the issue and an admissions rep assured me that she would place notes on my application explaining the missing and/or later materials. Which makes me wonder if this had a negative factor in the decision. Also, It looked like all but one person from their advertised admissions staff was no longer employed by as of Dec/Jan. And when I visited their booth at the Grad National Portfolio Day in Chicago in November Tamryn McDermott (no longer employed by Tyler as of Dec/Jan) informed me that the faculty members scheduled to be there were suddenly unable to make it. It all seems a little suspect. Their decision to change the schools name to include architecture also made me hesitant and curious as to what sort of changes this might bring to fine arts there. So I suppose I’m ok with this rejection. 

This is such helpful information, Jess. I also wondered about that with Tyler, they seem to be undergoing a lot of changes, and funding is not the best. I did not apply, but I think your info will be helpful for current and future applicants.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:01 PM, youlookguilty said:

Does anyone else think it's BS that these "TA positions" provide a stipend of only $3k per year?! 

Yes, yes, and yes. Lots of programs offer this kind of stipends (some only offer a thousand per semester). Have you seen comments on the Results board? Lots of people commenting on how fully funded places are not fully funded anymore. The comments were about how most programs make no mention of these changes on their websites.  Students find out when receiving their financial package and discover that they were given only 55%-75% coverage or less. For instance, some do not offer first year funding and then students must compete for aid for their second/third years. It is alarming how much funding has gone down for MFA programs in general. 

On 3/12/2019 at 1:43 PM, artperson said:

I applied to Ohio State in painting and hadn't heard anything from them. I just checked my application status today and it changed to rejected which I expected but I'm glad to know for sure now. 

artperson, did you hear from Colorado or Maryland? 

On 3/11/2019 at 1:09 PM, prodmod said:

I read this on the reddit /r/gradadmissions sub and it really helped my perspective - from the chair of an admissions committee 

Loved this, till I got to where it talks about not being able to accept the "guy who actually got in during a previous cycle but postponed". I did not know that that was a possibility for applicants who chose "deferred entrance." 

On 3/5/2019 at 12:43 PM, savcal said:

Accepted to University of Missouri today!

so far that leaves me with

Columbia College Chicago - accepted, no funding info yet

Missouri - accepted (funding info to be discussed)

University of Kentucky - rejected

University of South Florida - rejected

CalArts - no word yet (probably rejected, they do interviews and I haven't heard anything about one)

SVA - no word yet (my application got submitted late because of my references)

Ohio State - no word yet

Louisiana State University - no word yet 

anyone hear about funding info from Columbia?

sent you a message. any word from Louisiana or Ohio?

4 hours ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

Loved this, till I got to where it talks about not being able to accept the "guy who actually got in during a previous cycle but postponed". I did not know that that was a possibility for applicants who chose "deferred entrance." 

My guess is that this wasn't an actual deferred entrance student since lots of programs won't allow you to do that - I interpreted it as a person who got into the program previously but decided to wait and reapplied later but wasn't admitted.  Which still sucks, but makes more sense to me that way!

On 3/15/2019 at 10:41 PM, SerpentSkort said:

Interviewing with Syracuse art video this weekend! 

How was your interview? Did they tell you when we’d hear back?

Okay y'all, I am absolutely confused/flabbergasted.

I just got an interview invitation from SVA after hearing nothing from them since I turned in my application in January???

They have already sent out waitlists, rejections and acceptances in my department (fine arts/painting) several weeks ago.

This is weird and unexpected.

Just now, Karisjns said:

Okay y'all, I am absolutely confused/flabbergasted.

I just got an interview invitation from SVA after hearing nothing from them since I turned in my application in January???

They have already sent out waitlists, rejections and acceptances in my department (fine arts/painting) several weeks ago.

This is weird and unexpected.

Seems like they went through their first round applicants and now that some of them weren't accepted or didn't accept their offers they are interviewing you. Congrats!