MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

19 hours ago, Masterpiece said:

What have you decided on?  I am indecisive now.
I got SVA, Calarts, ACCD, Pratt, and BU (graphic design), and looking for advices according to school reputation in the field and occupation after graduate.

I've turned down SVA and Pratt so far. SVA is a good school, with a good reputation, and amazing faculty. But it is not the right fit for me — too entrepreneurial, not experimental enough. Pratt has a very good reputation, but my understanding is that the graduate program in graphic design is relatively new. I'm not very familliar with the faculty and few align with my research interests. I can't speak to BU or ACCD. The latter has a good reputation and at least historically had important people (Lustig) running the program. Currently, a CalArts graduate is running the ACCD graphic design program. I can talk to any of these more, if you think it will be helpful.

Right now, I am deciding between RISD and CalArts, both of which I think are the best fit for my interests and are both highly regarded schools, and Parsons, which gave me 75% scholarship. Basically, do I take on a huge debt load to do exactly what I want, or do I take on barely any debt for a program that is not what I want? Anyone have good advice?

9 hours ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Hey, is there anyone who applied and got accepted to the MFA Graphic Design program in MICA and plans to reject it?

I am very, very likely going to turn down MICA, like 90% certain.

welp, rejected from Tulane 5 weeks after interviewing. Got an email with a link to the admissions portal, which seems to be the kiss of death in these things. 

Not sure if grad school will work out this year, but currently not keen on repeating this process again. 

3 hours ago, afein said:

I've turned down SVA and Pratt so far. SVA is a good school, with a good reputation, and amazing faculty. But it is not the right fit for me — too entrepreneurial, not experimental enough. Pratt has a very good reputation, but my understanding is that the graduate program in graphic design is relatively new. I'm not very familliar with the faculty and few align with my research interests. I can't speak to BU or ACCD. The latter has a good reputation and at least historically had important people (Lustig) running the program. Currently, a CalArts graduate is running the ACCD graphic design program. I can talk to any of these more, if you think it will be helpful.

Right now, I am deciding between RISD and CalArts, both of which I think are the best fit for my interests and are both highly regarded schools, and Parsons, which gave me 75% scholarship. Basically, do I take on a huge debt load to do exactly what I want, or do I take on barely any debt for a program that is not what I want? Anyone have good advice?

I'm on the same page with UIC and Pratt/MICA if I get through.. I could use some advice too.

Also which program did you apply for, at Parsons?

Edited by Pallavi.Daga

3 hours ago, afein said:

I am very, very likely going to turn down MICA, like 90% certain.

Would be very grateful if you can do it as soon as you're 100% sure :)

Problem is that the waitlist is not ranked. But it does give me some hopes, at the least :')

Edited by Pallavi.Daga

6 hours ago, afein said:

Thanks! I think it's very helpful. I am really interested in SVA to be honest, since their faculties are famous and experienced. 

When you mentioned that SVA is not experimental enough, it might focus more on entrepreneurial theory and conventional design, which make your portfolio good enough to find job after grad. Would you like to talk more about SVA? 

And what about Calarts MFA in graphic design compares to SVA MFA in design?

I wrote a poem for you all after a year of applications to grants/ open calls/ 2 interviews at VCU and RISD that resulted in a rejection and waitlisted status.  

—————————————————————

We regretfully encourage you to apply to our online print institution with a cv, slideroom sacrifice, numbered explanations of your sense of criticality, and a brief statement explaining the origins of your rigor in contemporary practice. 

Due to the volume of applicants we will be unable to tell you wether you were selected or not. A full faculty interview panel will be planned to gender reveal your destiny via Skype if the panel selection includes your final application. 

Please reach in if you have questions. 
Thank you.

Departmental chair
image.thumb.png.040cc7e3dc058366a43788a447275308.png

Edited by LilyJM

9 hours ago, LilyJM said:

I wrote a poem for you all after a year of applications to grants/ open calls/ 2 interviews at VCU and RISD that resulted in a rejection and waitlisted status.  

—————————————————————

We regretfully encourage you to apply to our online print institution with a cv, slideroom sacrifice, numbered explanations of your sense of criticality, and a brief statement explaining the origins of your rigor in contemporary practice. 

Due to the volume of applicants we will be unable to tell you wether you were selected or not. A full faculty interview panel will be planned to gender reveal your destiny via Skype if the panel selection includes your final application. 

Please reach in if you have questions. 
Thank you.

Departmental chair
image.thumb.png.040cc7e3dc058366a43788a447275308.png

Really excellent!!

Anyone heard from Hunter post interview? I thought they sent out rejections and waitlists first and I saw a couple acceptances in the results archive but I haven't heard anything.  Based on past years it seems like they send out acceptances kind of sporadically but this seems kinda late at this point.  

3 hours ago, prodmod said:

Emailed the dgs at CMU asking for an update - will post when they get back. Hope everyone is almost done with this!

Also waiting on CMU. I emailed a couple weeks ago & they (took 5 days to get back to me and) said they are “very much still in the process of making their decisions” ????

5 hours ago, babsi said:

Has anyone gotten an official rejection from CalArts? I wasn't asked to interview but have received proper notification from all my other schools.

Thanks!

No not yet, it still says submitted on the portal. I emailed the admissions office and they said how all interviews were given so it doesn't seem like I'll make it to the next round, buuuut it's not final yet. Still waiting. :( (I applied for the MFA in Graphic Design 2 year program there)

Edited by jri

On 3/24/2019 at 7:32 PM, farmE said:

Anyone heard from Hunter post interview? I thought they sent out rejections and waitlists first and I saw a couple acceptances in the results archive but I haven't heard anything.  Based on past years it seems like they send out acceptances kind of sporadically but this seems kinda late at this point.  

Just got the waitlist email this morning!

Just clicked on the Calarts application page in my bookmarks by mistake and it says the decision is out and I was waitlisted. It's so weird cuz I didn't get any email about updates and wouldn't have seen it if I didn't happen to check the page...

got into SAIC sculpture and SVA fine arts

waitlist UCR and Calarts

waiting on Columbia rejection

I have decided to enroll in RISD's three-year graphic design program. (For those of you concerned about cost, ASK FOR MORE MONEY! I was given 20k more by RISD basically with the snap of the fingers.)

I spend the last 1.5 hours sending rejections to CalArts, MICA, Parsons, Pratt, RCA and SVA. If you've been waitlisted at those, I hope you get offered a spot now!

@Pallavi.Daga

On 3/23/2019 at 1:24 AM, Masterpiece said:

Thanks! I think it's very helpful. I am really interested in SVA to be honest, since their faculties are famous and experienced. 

When you mentioned that SVA is not experimental enough, it might focus more on entrepreneurial theory and conventional design, which make your portfolio good enough to find job after grad. Would you like to talk more about SVA? 

And what about Calarts MFA in graphic design compares to SVA MFA in design?

My understanding is that these programs are total opposites.

SVA is more business focused; CalArts is far more experimental. SVA is surrounded by activity; CalArts is more cloistered. SVA is more formal; CalArts is more informal. SVA will likely focus on more conventional design*; CalArts will likely focus on pushing the boundaries of what is possible in design.

Both faculty are very successful: SVA has faculty active in the business world right now. CalArts has faculty that are hugely influential in the field, but who have decided to focus on being educators. SVA will likely a better network and employment opportunities; CalArts will offer intimate educational experiences and close access to faculty.

You need to ask yourself, "Why am I going to grad school?" Are you going for a job? Are you going to develop a voice? Do you want to live on the east or west coast? Do you want to work in LA or NY afterward?

*I have seen grad student portfolios with interesting work.