MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

at this point have now heard from everyone---i've pretty much narrowed my choices down to a local state school program (sfsu) or an international program (emily carr in vancouver) because i just am not going to go into debt over this. after funding, both are about the same price (6 and 8k a year) but one would basically upend my life to move. i'm also a freelancer full time so i'm concerned about a fuller course load vs. this local school where i wouldn't have to move and is a 3 year program vs 2, so more easy to juggle with my work. however, emily carr is a better school in many regards, and more intellectually stimulating, more creative, and would allow me to teach/TA in my working field of illustration, which is really the endgame reason i applied to grad school (to teach illo, in particular, ideally). sfsu would let me teach as well, but a more general class. 

i'm really conflicted. i feel like emily carr is the better choice but i also hadn't fully anticipated moving. i'm based in a good situation currently. it'd been an abstract concept till now. and of course both of these schools have early april deadlines to inform. lmao. anyone have any advice? 

Edited by beep beep

16 hours ago, beep beep said:

at this point have now heard from everyone---i've pretty much narrowed my choices down to a local state school program (sfsu) or an international program (emily carr in vancouver) because i just am not going to go into debt over this. after funding, both are about the same price (6 and 8k a year) but one would basically upend my life to move. i'm also a freelancer full time so i'm concerned about a fuller course load vs. this local school where i wouldn't have to move and is a 3 year program vs 2, so more easy to juggle with my work. however, emily carr is a better school in many regards, and more intellectually stimulating, more creative, and would allow me to teach/TA in my working field of illustration, which is really the endgame reason i applied to grad school (to teach illo, in particular, ideally). sfsu would let me teach as well, but a more general class. 

i'm really conflicted. i feel like emily carr is the better choice but i also hadn't fully anticipated moving. i'm based in a good situation currently. it'd been an abstract concept till now. and of course both of these schools have early april deadlines to inform. lmao. anyone have any advice? 

I would say, do the thing that you know you want to do in your heart, but that you’re afraid of doing. From the short paragraph you wrote, this seems like Emily Carr. I feel like we’re afraid of something because it’s new; it diverges from the thing we’re comfortable with. Is this not the point of grad school? You only get to do it once, and then you can move back to where you live now and pick up your previous life if that’s what you want. I wouldn’t base my decision on where to go on your current employment, because you’ll probably have to drop a lot of your clients/gigs anyways, while you’re in the program, no? And if you wanted to keep freelancing with these clients forever, why even go to grad school. Maybe a new environment will be conducive to making new kinds of work too. Anyways, just my two cents!

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:51 AM, MickeyMouse said:

Has anyone on here accepted an offer from the University of Iowa?

Yes, I just accepted an offer from University of Iowa. It's for painting and I'm really excited about their program!

How about yourself?

Is there anyone else out here who will be going to Iowa in the fall?

32 minutes ago, beep beep said:

you can ask for extensions! just send them an email asking if you can have a little more time. i got two myself, it was v easy! 

Oh my gosh thanks for the advice! I didn’t think that was even a possibility! 

My final results for MFA in Fine Arts:

Colorado State: Rejected

Columbus School of Art and Design: Accepted with TA ($3,000 stipend) and $10,000 scholarship.

MassArt: Accepted with TA ($2,000 stipend) and $2,000 Dean's scholarship.

Maine College of Art: Accepted with GA ($1,500 stipend) and $5,000 scholarship.

Portland State: Accepted with GA ($1,800 stipend), $10,000 Laurel's scholarship and full tuition remission.

SVA: Requested Interview, but I declined presuming I wouldn't get much funding. 

University at Buffalo: Accepted with TA ($14,704 stipend), full tuition remission and the Mark Diamond Research Grant designated for my thesis exhibition.

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee: Rejected

VCU: Rejected

I think I'm set on Buffalo! I don't think I could ever come close to a better offer than that and I also connect very well with the painting faculty in their department. I'm excited and nervous for the big move! But I feel confident that Buffalo is the right decision for me. Upstate New York will be way different than Oklahoma, but here goes nothing! 

Hope everyone is starting to relax after all the stress and setting sights on a plan! I'd love to hear where everyone is thinking of going! ?

Edited by Karisjns

On 3/16/2019 at 7:18 PM, TheBarnOwl said:

I haven't heard of any rejections, these were acceptance calls. They were my friends so they just texted me when they heard!

Do you know if they both accepted their offers? Also, have you heard anything from Columbia, I heard that we should know end of March but it’s already April 

While still on the alternate list of MFA Graphic Design at MICA, I've been invited to an interview for considering MA Graphic Design (1 year). Does anyone have knowledge about the program? Is it equivalent to the previous program of Post-Bacc program in GD, as I can't find that as a seperate course on the website now.

Any leads will be helpful. Thank you :)

On 2/14/2019 at 2:39 AM, JadeySheng said:

I got an interview from SAIC for the visual communications 3-year Post-Bac+MFA track interview, and MICA's graphic design MA program. Any idea how to prepare for it? On the instructions, it says that I will be talking about 2 to 3 of the best work on my portfolio, but what maybe be the other questions that I should prepare for?

I am a total noob and totally freaking out right now, cus the interviews are pretty close together.

Hello, could you tell me about your experience with the interview for MA Graphic Design? What are the questions I should look forward to, and stuff like that?

Has anyone else been accepted to MCAD? They offered by 18,000 + 6,000 GA but that will only cover 60% tuition, not to mention living expenses. I hear some of their students live in their studios so I guess that could be an option haha. I feel like their program is great but I'm not sure about taking out another 30,000$ or so in loans over the course of the program. Thoughts?

also-

I'm in fibers, and probably will just apply again to some other schools for the next round. Any good leads on fully funded fiber programs? I'm one of 8 children in my lower/middle class family and already have 26,000$ in debt from undergrad

Edited by mellikescats

Has anyone heard from University of Colorado? I was told it would take 2 weeks and now we're on 6.  I've checked in twice with the professors I interviewed with but no response. Probably going to reach out to the general grad admissions e-mail but really wish I didn't have to keep pestering. Let me know thanks!

Edited by crazayk8

26 minutes ago, crazayk8 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Colorado? I was told it would take 2 weeks and now we're on 6.  I've checked in twice with the professors I interviewed with but no response. Probably going to reach out to the general grad admissions e-mail but really wish I didn't have to keep pestering. Let me know thanks!

I am in exactly the same boat!  I reached out to the general grad email last week to follow up but haven't heard back.

2 hours ago, chartblob said:

I am in exactly the same boat!  I reached out to the general grad email last week to follow up but haven't heard back.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. Such a frustrating feeling hanging in the waiting limbo after being told 2 weeks. I'll let you know if I get a response from the general e-mail. Best of luck! Post if you hear any news. 

46 minutes ago, crazayk8 said:

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. Such a frustrating feeling hanging in the waiting limbo after being told 2 weeks. I'll let you know if I get a response from the general e-mail. Best of luck! Post if you hear any news. 

Same to you - good luck!! I was very glad to read that someone else was having the same thing going on. 

On 4/2/2019 at 5:04 AM, Roof1234 said:

Do you know if anyone has beard back from painting? Thank you! 

I emailed Columbia admissions and this is what they said:

We are a bit delayed in sending out final decisions, but we anticipate sending them out by the end of this week. You will be notified via email once a decision is available. Please don't hesitate to be in touch if you have any questions in the meantime.

Best,
Office of Admissions
Columbia University School of the Arts

3 hours ago, Gabbberz said:

I emailed Columbia admissions and this is what they said:

We are a bit delayed in sending out final decisions, but we anticipate sending them out by the end of this week. You will be notified via email once a decision is available. Please don't hesitate to be in touch if you have any questions in the meantime.

Best,
Office of Admissions
Columbia University School of the Arts

So nobody has heard yet, acceptances or rejections? 

Did anyone receive SVA’s MFA Design and is going to turn them down? Because I’m on the waitlist, wanna see how much chance I might get from their last annoucement on 4.15. Thanks!