MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

1 hour ago, Masterpiece said:

None, but I will try to ask for it

I tried mailing the program director and the design admissions office about the same, I did not recieve any reply :( In case you do, please let me know about it.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:47 PM, Pallavi.Daga said:

I tried mailing the program director and the design admissions office about the same, I did not recieve any reply :( In case you do, please let me know about it.

I had emailed them, but haven’t heard back. What about you?

On 4/7/2019 at 12:32 PM, Stines2019 said:

anyone turning down Columbia MFA in New Genres?

i'm waitlisted and seeing if this is a possibility... otherwise, just going to confirm for CalArts. 

hey, im waitlisted at columbia new genres and i'm turning it down.

On 2/27/2019 at 2:11 AM, fiowwn said:

I received their interview from 3yr GD, if you don't mind to share, what question did they ask?

Hi!

i saw you were accepted into SVA MFA Design. Just wondering did you accept it? I am on the waitlist of that program. if you have already enrolled in other schools, do you mind turning it down?

THANK YOU! T_T

Being on two waitlists at this point in the game is pure torture. I think it means I/we are a great fit for each program but there are snafus keeping us in a holding pattern. I know I have many opportunities beyond or instead of grad school right now-but, damn, this waiting for a likely/uncertain rejection is just brutal!! Sending good vibes to all.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:50 PM, brho said:

Hey congrats on acceptance, may I ask when you heard the decision from NYU? I am still waiting to hear from them.

I heard from NYU around the end of March...I still haven't decided so it's probably me holding them up on reaching out to other candidates! [yikes emoji]

11 hours ago, Nanjin said:

Hi!

i saw you were accepted into SVA MFA Design. Just wondering did you accept it? I am on the waitlist of that program. if you have already enrolled in other schools, do you mind turning it down?

THANK YOU! T_T

Yes I did turned it down. Like half month ago.

hey yall, for anyone on the waitlists for any of the other schools I was accepted/waitlisted at in my signature, I've made my official decision to go to CMU. super excited, and I hope someone gets in off the waitlist to the school they want to go because of my declines!

Have any one got the formal offer letter from RCA?? the Royal College of Art in London.

I got the informal but firm offer from the Programme (as they said in the mail), I wonder how long does it take to get the formal letter.

And is it possible to be rejected by the Academic Board?? Has it happened????

Edited by Fililo

Hey all!

Just curious about peoples accommodation plans... what time is best to start looking/ sort accommodation out? I'm planning to live off campus and won't be able to visit anywhere/ know others. Any advice much appreciated! :-) 

3 hours ago, Ais said:

Hey all!

Just curious about peoples accommodation plans... what time is best to start looking/ sort accommodation out? I'm planning to live off campus and won't be able to visit anywhere/ know others. Any advice much appreciated! ?

boston is such a big college town that i'm sure there are a lot of resources on neighborhoods, best places to look, etc. there are also probably some housing scams because of the high volume of students that come so be wary! fb groups are the best way to find sublets/rooms at a good rate, tbh. do a search and see if there's like a "boston affordable housing" group or something of that end. 

allston and somerville are great places to live; quieter and less expensive while still being accessible to the city. good luck! 

2 hours ago, beep beep said:

boston is such a big college town that i'm sure there are a lot of resources on neighborhoods, best places to look, etc. there are also probably some housing scams because of the high volume of students that come so be wary! fb groups are the best way to find sublets/rooms at a good rate, tbh. do a search and see if there's like a "boston affordable housing" group or something of that end. 

allston and somerville are great places to live; quieter and less expensive while still being accessible to the city. good luck! 

Thanks so much this is really helpful! I never thought of Facebook but definitely sounds like the way to go. All the best with your next step! :-) 

My app portal for VCU was reset today (photo/film), without an update on my status, just welcoming me as someone who is re-applying to their grad school.

I had been checking occasionally for an update (an assumed rejection). I'm assuming it will show up next month in the mail, which will be fun to open. This is def an extra amount of discouragement on top of everything. Probably good thing to get used to that but, eesh.

Hello all! I had been waitlisted from Washington University's Sam Fox School in St. Louis. I just received an acceptance letter from them this morning, with a 50% scholarship.

I had applied to U C Irvine, Tulane New Orleans, and Boise State (family there), and was rejected by those 3. I had a professor drag his feet for 1 month in getting his letter of recommendation out, and at least 1 rejection told me that because my documentation was incomplete, they could not consider my application. (So, I don't know how much that played a role in the other rejections).

My head is spinning because I had pretty much already resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be accepted this round, and I would start early this fall with more funds to apply to at least 10 places. I am struggling financially out here in California, applying for better employment, and would have to scramble now to figure out how to get out there and get a new place, etc.

Has anyone else been accepted by Sam Fox, and are you going? From my research, it seems to be a fantastic school and I may really regret not accepting; however, I really want to teach when I graduate and there is no guarantee of an assistantship. I really wanted a program that offered a full scholarship, with a graduate assistantship offered with acceptance.

So confused. I would love to hear some thoughts! Thank you.