MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

11 minutes ago, justaylor said:

I’ve heard of people getting phone calls before emails, I’m living in Spain and my American number isn’t in service right now, does anyone think that’s a bad thing? I’m probably just being paranoid but  Haha I can’t stand thinking that maybe a phone call could be missed and it would look bad?

The only school I have heard from called me and then we had a phone interview the next day so I think it is important to provide a working phone number. Do you have a phone number in Spain they could reach you at? Maybe email it to the graduate coordinators if you didn’t already provide it to the schools.

23 minutes ago, henryfive said:

The only school I have heard from called me and then we had a phone interview the next day so I think it is important to provide a working phone number. Do you have a phone number in Spain they could reach you at? Maybe email it to the graduate coordinators if you didn’t already provide it to the schools.

They only let you provide a US number for the schools I applied to... I do have my SIM card it just costs a fortune to use it, maybe ill turn it on intermittently and check my voicemails.

1 hour ago, justaylor said:

I’ve heard of people getting phone calls before emails, I’m living in Spain and my American number isn’t in service right now, does anyone think that’s a bad thing? I’m probably just being paranoid but  Haha I can’t stand thinking that maybe a phone call could be missed and it would look bad?

You could maybe forward your U.S. number to a google voice number just to get the voicemails? Not sure if that would work.

Im reading through last years forum to lurk and see when people were getting calls and interview invites and it seems like a lot will be coming this week and next. So im losing my damn mind. ALSO got my first Louisiana hit yesterday in New Orleans (Tulane) they spent less than like 3 mins on my website...so idk if thats bad orrrrrr. ALSO has anyone researched what the interviews are going to be like? They say they want to see work but I dont have any with me here and some of it is even sold so ugh SOS

30 minutes ago, prodmod said:

You could maybe forward your U.S. number to a google voice number just to get the voicemails? Not sure if that would work.

I just emailed each admissions dept of the schools asking to specifically be notified by email so I can make sure I receive anything 

Hey y'all, I just got my first interview invite! Cannot describe the weight lifted from these shoulders! One love fam, heads up we got this. I've been hitting the sauna a lot after workouts to help keep off the anxiety attacks- heat shock proteins are really awesome- try it if y'all got access to one. 

2 minutes ago, PictureMeAColor said:

Hey y'all, I just got my first interview invite! Cannot describe the weight lifted from these shoulders! One love fam, heads up we got this. I've been hitting the sauna a lot after workouts to help keep off the anxiety attacks- heat shock proteins are really awesome- try it if y'all got access to one. 

Congrats! Is it PennMFA?!

1 hour ago, PictureMeAColor said:

Congratulations! Which school?

In a similar vein, anyone hear anything about interviews from Northwestern, Davis, or UW-Madison? All of them had early application deadlines, so I would guess that things should be happening soon.

35 minutes ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Congratulations! My friend, Chelsea Rafflo, graduated from FSU MFA a couple years ago.

I love her work! And the faculty there is just awesome and my style. 

Thanks y'all!! One love!!

34 minutes ago, Bodys said:

In a similar vein, anyone hear anything about interviews from Northwestern, Davis, or UW-Madison? All of them had early application deadlines, so I would guess that things should be happening soon.

Not sure about the other two, but still waiting to hear back from UW-Madison. I would assume we'll hear something in the next week or so. UMN deadline was 1/1 and they're expecting notifications to go out early Feb.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, willennium said:

Maybe it means they’re reviewing apps? I haven’t tried logging into any of my things out of fear of catching a glimpse of a spelling mistake somewhere and having a full breakdown haha

As a heads up tho - UCLA usually gets back to finalists 2nd week of February for painting. Is that the area you applied to?

Yeah, I applied for painting. U mean 2nd week of February? I heard that they will not tell u decisions untill sometime of March...

1 hour ago, Bodys said:

I applied to Northwestern and UW-Madison and haven't heard anything yet! UT Austin was early too (same deadline as Madison) and still waiting to hear from them as well