justaylor

MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

So I've seen this as a trend on here and have been lurking on those old threads and have gotten some awesome insight. So now that the application season has started i thought  we could start our own freak out forum as we go into applying for programs in 2019. 

Personally I am an interdisciplinary artist. I have a BFA in Print media and have always worked across disciplines. My current work utilizes acrylic, vinyl, and UV direct printing. My schools right now consist of :

UC- Davis, Irvine and SB

Rutgers

Carnegie Mellon

University of Michigan

University of Oregon

Northwestern

I'm not currently entertaining any programs that don't offer full funding. But thats just a personal thing for me.

*LETS FREAK OUT*

Hey guys!

Happy to see the thread starting again this year. I’ve also been reading these forums the past few years- although, this might be the first year I actually apply. Did my undergrad in Painting and now currently work in mixed media. Looking mostly at 3 year programs and would love to stay on the west coast.

Currently leaning towards:

University of Oregon

UC Davis

University of Washington 

If anyone has info specifically on U of O, I would love to hear some pointers! Currently rebuilding my website, but IG is @M.j.white

Lets do this!

your work is incredible! 

I’m liking u of o because it’s really interdisciplinary, fully funded and they encourage you to take classes outside of the fine arts which is great for me because my work is Increasingly becoming more research oriented , specifically in psychology,  so it would be great to take those courses that can further inform my work. 

Also you can see my work on my website 

abbymarietaylor.com

Likewise! Really enjoying the line quality in your portrait work! 

And I agree with you, U of O seems to have a very attractive program. Also! Living in Eugene would be fantastic.

How's your portfolio coming along? I'm a crazy person and decided to cut 2/3 of my work out; so.. currently in studio lock down, haha!

I actually think my portfolio is pretty solid, though im trying to complete a couple of sculpture to show a more interdisciplinary approach. Im completing an artists residency in barcelona for the next couple of months so that will give me the time to also be on studio lock down. im working on all of my statements currently, which is just about as difficult as i expected it to be cause schools ask for different and specific things so you cant (and shouldnt) use one across the board. 

On 10/2/2018 at 7:55 PM, justaylor said:

So I've seen this as a trend on here and have been lurking on those old threads and have gotten some awesome insight. So now that the application season has started i thought  we could start our own freak out forum as we go into applying for programs in 2019. 

Personally I am an interdisciplinary artist. I have a BFA in Print media and have always worked across disciplines. My current work utilizes acrylic, vinyl, and UV direct printing. My schools right now consist of :

UC- Davis, Irvine and SB

Rutgers

Carnegie Mellon

University of Michigan

University of Oregon

Northwestern

I'm not currently entertaining any programs that don't offer full funding. But thats just a personal thing for me.

*LETS FREAK OUT*

Thanks for starting the thread this year! Can you tell me what you know about the program at Carnegie Mellon? Thanks! 

Hi Everyone, 

I'm working towards applying this year, still looking into different programs. I'm wondering where you all are seeking feedback on your portfolios. I finished undergrad last June but relocated to New York City after graduation. I am planning on attending Graduate Portfolio Review day but was interested in hearing any advice you all may have. 

-Ciaran Freeman

ciaranfreeman.com

Hi Everyone! 

I am starting to get super stressed out about applying! I'm wanting to go for Sculpture.  I haven't completely narrowed it down yet but am thinking about:

• Pratt
  • MassArt
  • Tyler
  • MICA
  • Carnegie Mellon 
  • Hunter
  • Rutgers
  • NYU 

How is everyone's statement of purpose/intent writing going? I'm struggling with it a bit! Anyone else? 

Also my website is: karrileamonart.com (Need to add pieces and update a bit.) Would love any feedback! 

Thanks! 

On October 9, 2018 at 1:43 PM, cfree said:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm working towards applying this year, still looking into different programs. I'm wondering where you all are seeking feedback on your portfolios. I finished undergrad last June but relocated to New York City after graduation. I am planning on attending Graduate Portfolio Review day but was interested in hearing any advice you all may have. 

-Ciaran Freeman

ciaranfreeman.com

I am going to do the online NPDA Graduate School Online Portfolio Day and Information Fair on November 30th! 

Just got an email from the department head at U of O. For anyone interested in attending their MFA open house, the date is November 7th. You need to RSVP ahead of time, but they will be doing individual reviews and holding a Q+A session with current MFA students. Anyone else planning on attending? Hope to see some of y'all there!