Jump to content

MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum


Recommended Posts

On 2/13/2019 at 3:15 PM, acs000 said:

 

 

@JadeySheng Here are some potential questions from earlier in the thread.

I'm also interviewing with SAIC and it's so close I'm almost panicking. Are you attending the interview in person or via Skype?

I am meeting them in person. and good luck to you too seriously! If you are visiting campus on saturday we could even meet up

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got an acceptance letter from SMFA!!!!! And a $15,000 a year scholarship!!!!! If there was an emoji for fainting and then laying on the ground giggling with glee that would be me haha. SOOOOO much R

The MFA grad advisor attempted to call me, but instead received a UT Austin Painting acceptance via email!  Nominated for a recruitment fellowship through the University, which includes a full scholar

Just got accepted to Penn State via Email!!! I am crying, this is so incredibly validating because I wasn't even going to apply this year because I didn't think my work was ready or good enough. Also

Posted Images

Hi, long-time lurker, first-time poster here....I got accepted to SVA Fine Arts with a scholarship (albeit a little small)! Only thing is, the deadline to accept my scholarship/pay an enrollment fee is about a month before I will hear back from the other schools I applied to. What do people do in this situation- is it best to go ahead and pay the fee and officially decide later?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 1:50 PM, madgey said:

I read somewhere online that VCU doesn't do interviews for Sculpture?  And that they send out acceptances/rejections in the middle of March.  It seems so far away!!  I am waiting too.

Hey! I think I read that same thing somewhere. However, I received a Skype interview invite for VCU Sculpture on Feb 12th. It seems like they're a bit behind schedule, as I was only notified 1 week before my interview date.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, heydd said:

Hey! I think I read that same thing somewhere. However, I received a Skype interview invite for VCU Sculpture on Feb 12th. It seems like they're a bit behind schedule, as I was only notified 1 week before my interview date.  

Hey :] If it's not too much to ask, how was the interview? My Skype interview is scheduled next week, and I really like the program from what I read on the website. I'm curious to hear from people who experienced talking to the faculties. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JadeySheng said:

Yeah I got it through email, but it was only for the one year M.A program

 

2 hours ago, Chauncey Zhang said:

Another classmate of mine just received an invitation. So there may be some remaining vacancies. Good luck!

Thanks for your support guys! This forum really helps spread some anxiety and positivity at the same time😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herry said:

Hey :] If it's not too much to ask, how was the interview? My Skype interview is scheduled next week, and I really like the program from what I read on the website. I'm curious to hear from people who experienced talking to the faculties. 

Hello!

I've finished two interviews and I am an international student as well, so my experience may of some help, I suppose:D The first one seemed like a language test since they didn't ask too many discipline-related questions. I was nervous, though... It went smoothly because the faculty was very considerate and patient. The second one was tense! A lot of professional questions related to my work and inspirations. I tried my best to say everything that came up to me, while there are some points that I don't think I've made them clear. What I think is we need to relax. Show them everything we've got and it'll be fine 😃 Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

 

Congrats guys! Do you know if all interview requests have been sent out?

MICA was my only hope but have not heard anything from them, so probably it's a rejection in that too. Good luck for your interviews!

Double check your spam because that's where my one went! Hope you hear from them :-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anybody heard about being waitlisted at UT Austin for painting? I know acceptances went out and I haven’t heard anything so I’m bracing for waitlist or rejection. Just hoping I could still be in the running for a waitlist spot at least...

Edited by yessssssss
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized one of my letters to Tulane still hasnt been submitted. Its two weeks passed the deadline and Im freaking out. I emailed the professor and Tulane and sent him two more email reminders from tulanes app portal. any one have any idea if im totally screwed? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, justaylor said:

I just realized one of my letters to Tulane still hasnt been submitted. Its two weeks passed the deadline and Im freaking out. I emailed the professor and Tulane and sent him two more email reminders from tulanes app portal. any one have any idea if im totally screwed? 

One of my professors didn't reply for about 20 days, so I changed him to another professor, maybe you can do the same. Remember to tell the professor and the school though :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, justaylor said:

I just realized one of my letters to Tulane still hasnt been submitted. Its two weeks passed the deadline and Im freaking out. I emailed the professor and Tulane and sent him two more email reminders from tulanes app portal. any one have any idea if im totally screwed? 

I don't think it will ruin your chances, I had transcripts rejected from one college a while after the deadline (as I am applying internationally I didn't realise the US rule that the undergraduate college is meant to send them not me), and they just asked to resend them and still invited me for interview. At the end of the day, they want the best students and they know we've paid our submission fee so I don't think they want to discount anyone from progressing in the admissions process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DitDot said:

One of my professors didn't reply for about 20 days, so I changed him to another professor, maybe you can do the same. Remember to tell the professor and the school though :)

Thank you I’ve calmed down a little. I know he has the letter as he has submitted it to all of my other schools. I just wonder if maybe it got buried in his inbox or spam folder. He typically gets back to me in a timely manner so hopefully I’ll hear from him today. 

2 minutes ago, Ais said:

I don't think it will ruin your chances, I had transcripts rejected from one college a while after the deadline (as I am applying internationally I didn't realise the US rule that the undergraduate college is meant to send them not me), and they just asked to resend them and still invited me for interview. At the end of the day, they want the best students and they know we've paid our submission fee so I don't think they want to discount anyone from progressing in the admissions process.

I really hope they still consider me when it gets submitted (if) 😓 I’m just trying to send positive vibes and hopefully manifest that shit hah

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, first time posting -- wish I had discovered these forums before I started applying lol!

Anyone know how to interpret it if you've heard nothing from a school, but know that both rejections and interview invites have been out for a while (for some applicants, anyhow)? Is there a chance that they're holding onto my name in case their first-choice applicants don't enroll when they're offered spots in the program?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so for the SAIC Postbac interviews - they have both in-person and skype interviews. Is there a benefit to going in-person over Skype in terms of making an impression?  Or do you guys think I should save my money and try and do the Skype?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, arusse said:

Ok so for the SAIC Postbac interviews - they have both in-person and skype interviews. Is there a benefit to going in-person over Skype in terms of making an impression?  Or do you guys think I should save my money and try and do the Skype?

I would definitely recommend meeting in person, because that itself already shows your strong interest. And by talking in person, it appears to be more genuine for the faculty members to see if you are actually a great fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 9:18 PM, Icw88 said:

Anyone apply to USF? I love this program!

Yep. I was in Tampa to see family and I had a chance to visit USF meet with some of the current MFA students. They all spoke very highly of the program. There's some really interesting abstract work being made here. The campus is GORGEOUS, very open styled, lots of beautiful spanish moss hanging from the old oak trees. The studios were right in the middle of campus in their own art block and were generous. The facilities like the wood shop were huge and well equipped - and 2/3 years you will have an opportunity to teach undergrad students in entry level classes. . Tampa in general is a peaceful and underrated city I believe, amazing state parks all around there and a great arts community.

Edited by darsenbehelm
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, notyrs said:

Hi all, first time posting -- wish I had discovered these forums before I started applying lol!

Anyone know how to interpret it if you've heard nothing from a school, but know that both rejections and interview invites have been out for a while (for some applicants, anyhow)? Is there a chance that they're holding onto my name in case their first-choice applicants don't enroll when they're offered spots in the program?

Hi,

A lot of people of this forum seem to experience the same as you and I really have no idea why colleges do this, maybe they don't know we talk to each other lol. 

I was in that situation with rutgers, but had to look on the check my status portal they have to get my reply (rejection in this case). 

When I was invited to interview at tyler, a past student told me they must be pretty interested to ask to interview that early, which made me think there are two rounds of interviews based on 'top top' and 'top', but it also seems from other colleges that they just do multiple rounds of interviews. 

It certainly is frustrating I hope you get good news soon! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so I cracked this morning and sent an email to the admissions assistant at University of Oregon to get an update.. Interview invitations were supposed to be sent out mid Jan to mid feb according to their application materials, but I got an email back saying this:

"Hi Michael,  the MFA application  committee is has not yet completed their review of the applications.  We expect notices in early March." 

So for anyone else who applied to UO.. don't hold your breath just yet. We've still got a few more weeks to go! :)  

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MjamesPDX said:

Okay so I cracked this morning and sent an email to the admissions assistant at University of Oregon to get an update.. Interview invitations were supposed to be sent out mid Jan to mid feb according to their application materials, but I got an email back saying this:

"Hi Michael,  the MFA application  committee is has not yet completed their review of the applications.  We expect notices in early March." 

So for anyone else who applied to UO.. don't hold your breath just yet. We've still got a few more weeks to go! :)  

ahhh thanks for emailing! I guess I can stop checking for a status update every 30 seconds lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 8:12 PM, beep beep said:

i interviewed with them this afternoon! also my first one. i'd def say somewhat informal, they only asked a few questions (as opposed to a 15 question list from another school i saw earlier on this thread)---however they also mentioned that they were behind on their schedule (and texted me to let me know beforehand) so things were about 15 min instead of 20. they asked why i wanted to get an MFA, why PNCA, and what i thought/hoped my first year might look like. i think there was another one but it's hard to remember already, lmao. 

they definitely had my stuff on hand because they mentioned my essay and CV and portfolio, and brought up a few elements of their programs that i might like---it was definitely an interview, but less rapid-fire questions and more of a conversational element to it that i appreciated. and i liked what they had to say quite a bit! after that, they wanted to know if i had any questions (i mostly asked about TAing and what kind of facilities were accessible to MFA students because they'd answered my earlier questions about studios and structure) and said there was so much more they wanted to get to, but they had to keep rolling. overall, i think it went well! 

i'm interviewing with emily carr tmrw and SFAI next week....so far those are the only ones i've heard back from! i also applied to UCLA, risd, pratt, and cca. 

if it helps---i went to risd for undergrad and they were the last school to get back to me. it was pretty late, i want to say near the end of march. the process is different for grad because, i think, it's departmental---but i do know they like to take their time! 

Just had my interview! I think it went well -- your input definitely helped, thank you! It was very conversational rather than rapidfire questions, and each of my answers were followed up with relevant opportunities that they offer.  It ended up being more around half an hour for me, since I had a few questions.

Hope we hear back with good news! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, heydd said:

Hey! I think I read that same thing somewhere. However, I received a Skype interview invite for VCU Sculpture on Feb 12th. It seems like they're a bit behind schedule, as I was only notified 1 week before my interview date.  

Ah, well darn it.  I will assume that's a rejection then!  thanks for the info

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MjamesPDX said:

Okay so I cracked this morning and sent an email to the admissions assistant at University of Oregon to get an update.. Interview invitations were supposed to be sent out mid Jan to mid feb according to their application materials, but I got an email back saying this:

"Hi Michael,  the MFA application  committee is has not yet completed their review of the applications.  We expect notices in early March." 

So for anyone else who applied to UO.. don't hold your breath just yet. We've still got a few more weeks to go! :)  

OH CHRIST THIS IS A RELIEF

 

also sorry you had to take one for the team but super glad you did dude, cheers to youuuuuu

Edited by justaylor
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.