Jump to content
justaylor

MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ais said:

Hey, what is your discipline area and when is the interview? Someone I did my BA with went there for their MFA (painting), if you want to PM me I can send you her fb and instagram handle (sorry don't have her email), I'm sure she'd be happy to give you some advice on the interview. Are you applying from the U.S?

The MFA is multi disciplinary but my focus is photography and I'm applying from Scotland. The interview is on Tuesday. Thanks, ill send you a PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone hear from UCONN or Sam Fox? 

T'would be nice to at least get some last rejection notices and move on...

Congrats to all who've gotten in so far! And love to those (like me) still waiting in the wings.

Edited by KGrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caved and reached out to RISD admissions regarding their decision timeline and this was the response. So if you're in the same boat and haven't heard anything, I guess this is the worst case. For reference, I applied to their Printmaking MFA. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 3.28.17 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arusse said:

Yes! I got accepted to penn state but have been trying to reach them to figure out when the decision deadline is and nobody is answering or returning my emails. Also have heard nothing about financial aid. If I apply to scholarships, will I hear back before the deadline? Gah I am dying, because I definitely cannot go if I don’t get enough financial aid. 

That's crazy these they aren't communicating with you. I'm sure they're busy, but still. 

I think you should check out all of the scholarships and their deadlines and go ahead and apply for as many as you can, it wouldn't hurt. 

Also dig through the website and see if any scholarships were automatically applied for when you filled out your FAFSA and/or your admission application. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accepted into Columbus College of Art and Design for the Fine Arts New Projects program with a $28,500 scholarship. 

Biggest funding offer so far, hmmmm🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 7:58 AM, a_slurpee said:

has anyone gotten word from UCLA Sculpture?

Still waiting to hear something too! Hoping in the next couple weeks. Fingers crossed for both of us! 🤞🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JennNoelle said:

How did you word your email to them without sounding desperate or needy? I need to do this to the programs I am waiting for as my declaration deadlines are coming up with others!

Haha I’m not sure I did that successfully but here’s my email verbatim: 

 

“””My name is Abigail Taylor. I am emailing to inquire the status of my MFA graduate application. I have not heard anything from the school since January 25 and would love if you could let me know where the faculty stands and the process is? Thank you for your time and have a great day. 
Sincerely,
Taylor”””””

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was rejected to the MassArt DMI program. That was my "safety" school, so I'm assuming that I'll be rejected to RISD and Boston University as well since I've heard nothing from them. I'm not sure what's lacking in my application, other than that I'm just graduating from undergrad and my graphic design style is more practical/commercial than abstract/artsy. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Edited by GummyPegasus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GummyPegasus said:

I was rejected to the MassArt DMI program. That was my "safety" school, so I'm assuming that I'll be rejected to RISD and Boston University as well since I've heard nothing from them. I'm not sure what's lacking in my application, other than that I'm just graduating from undergrad and my graphic design style is more practical/commercial than abstract/artsy. Oh well. Maybe next year.

You're def not alone! I am in the same boat. Rejected from my "safety" school and no word from RISD, yet. I'm going for printmaking but my style is very traditional as opposed to conceptual/experimental and I don't think programs are looking for that anymore 😕. Keep your head up! I've learned a lot through this process and have come to understand that a lot of schools seem to gravitate toward candidates with experience outside of academia. We still have time!

Edited by Brittany0Kay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 12:15 PM, MjamesPDX said:

Why are you regretting applying?

 

Just personally regretting it. Not saying it wouldn't be a bad school for someone else. I just don't think their program is for me. The faculty is old and lacks in a lot of ways. The area the university is on seems borish. I wouldn't want to spend three years there i don't think. Choose your schools wisely people. Poor choice on my part to have even applied but if anyone is wondering the two ladies at UConn that interviewed me were late, didn't ask me any in-depth questions besides "what feeds my work" and then asked if i had any questions for them. That was it. Pretty lame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 5:13 PM, honghong said:

Hi everyone.

Interviewed at SAIC for Fiber on Saturday, and Diana called me today. I missed her call so she emailed me with fellowship and acceptance into the MFA program. I havent heard anything from VCU Fiber or Univ of Iowa Dimensional Studies.  

This is a roller coaster so stay warm and take care. 

Hey! Did you get an official letter in the mail for the fiber department at SAIC? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 10:06 PM, mary 2019 said:

Hey,I have got SAIC notification on Monday, Maybe, take it time, and write a thank letter to see what happed. 

Thx for the support and replies! I just got accepted by SAIC's three year visual communications post baccalaureate+MFA track! I am more than thrilled!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi y'all.

 

I got accepted to Pratt, and they offered me $60,000($15,000/semester)!!!

I'm still waiting results for other schools but I'm SOOOOO excited XD!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea about average amount of scholarship so I'm wondering is it normal amount of scholarship from Pratt?

 

And I'm waiting for results from these schools.

UCLA-interviewed

Cranbrook-interviewed

RISD-heard nothing

MICA-interviewed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 9:30 PM, artperson said:

When did you hear from cu boulder painting and drawing? I interviewed but haven't heard anything. 

Same week of interview, received a letter that Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nik2 said:

Hi y'all.

 

I got accepted to Pratt, and they offered me $60,000($15,000/semester)!!!

I'm still waiting results for other schools but I'm SOOOOO excited XD!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea about average amount of scholarship so I'm wondering is it normal amount of scholarship from Pratt?

 

And I'm waiting for results from these schools.

UCLA-interviewed

Cranbrook-interviewed

RISD-heard nothing

MICA-interviewed

That’s super exciting!! Was Pratt your top choice?? I’m not 100% sure what the average scholarship amount is from Pratt specifically, but $15,000 per semester seems like a good little chunk of money for sure! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So just out of curiosity- and I throw this question out there for everyone- how do you guys plan on making up the difference in tuition costs and living fees after your scholarship money offers? Some schools for instance have a $55,000+ per year tuition cost, plus a mandatory $1000+ health insurance fee, several academic fees and then of course there’s room and board.. Are you guys taking out graduate loans or how are you paying for all this?

I know it’s not ideal, but I think I’ll have to continue working a part time job just to pay rent while in school :( What’s your guy’s academic financial plans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MjamesPDX said:

So just out of curiosity- and I throw this question out there for everyone- how do you guys plan on making up the difference in tuition costs and living fees after your scholarship money offers? Some schools for instance have a $55,000+ per year tuition cost, plus a mandatory $1000+ health insurance fee, several academic fees and then of course there’s room and board.. Are you guys taking out graduate loans or how are you paying for all this?

I know it’s not ideal, but I think I’ll have to continue working a part time job just to pay rent while in school :( What’s your guy’s academic financial plans?

Combination of loans and working. I will likely still take production gigs if possible during school breaks. I’m currently working as much as possible to save up a little bit of a cushion. And moving in with a friend for a few months to save money until the move. That is, if I get any acceptance offers at all, still don’t have responses from half the schools I applied to. 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Combination of loans and working. I will likely still take production gigs if possible during school breaks. I’m currently working as much as possible to save up a little bit of a cushion. And moving in with a friend for a few months to save money until the move. That is, if I get any acceptance offers at all, still don’t have responses from half the schools I applied to. 😳

Keep the faith! Lots of schools are dragging their feet right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MjamesPDX said:

So just out of curiosity- and I throw this question out there for everyone- how do you guys plan on making up the difference in tuition costs and living fees after your scholarship money offers? Some schools for instance have a $55,000+ per year tuition cost, plus a mandatory $1000+ health insurance fee, several academic fees and then of course there’s room and board.. Are you guys taking out graduate loans or how are you paying for all this?

I know it’s not ideal, but I think I’ll have to continue working a part time job just to pay rent while in school :( What’s your guy’s academic financial plans?

I think it’s crazy how much these degrees cost considering this isn’t exactly a lucrative career path for most people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, EastCoastPhoto said:

I think it’s crazy how much these degrees cost considering this isn’t exactly a lucrative career path for most people.

It is pretty crazy! I have a really stupid amount of student loan debt from undgrad, so graduate loans are completely out of the question for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nik2 said:

Hi y'all.

 

I got accepted to Pratt, and they offered me $60,000($15,000/semester)!!!

I'm still waiting results for other schools but I'm SOOOOO excited XD!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea about average amount of scholarship so I'm wondering is it normal amount of scholarship from Pratt?

 

And I'm waiting for results from these schools.

UCLA-interviewed

Cranbrook-interviewed

RISD-heard nothing

MICA-interviewed

Hey I was curious, which program did you apply to?

Seeing the results page and from what I see, Pratt has started sending out notifications for several programs? Has anyone heard from the viscomm MFA program?

Edited by Pallavi.Daga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MjamesPDX said:

It is pretty crazy! I have a really stupid amount of student loan debt from undgrad, so graduate loans are completely out of the question for me.

I graduated with a BFA and an Art Education degree and accepted a teaching job right out of undergrad.   I fully intended on going back for my MFA, but after 2 years of collecting a salary and benefits while still paying off my student loans from undergrad, it no longer seemed rational to leave my new career to go back to school and take on more loans.  Which is why I’m now applying to Low Res MFA programs 10 years later.  I’m now financially comfortable, can keep my job, and have a decent salary to balance out the debt.  With that said, I still would have preferred doing a traditional full residency program when I was younger and I regret not doing it.  But it just didn’t seem like a practical option at the time.  The cost of some of these programs really is insane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MjamesPDX said:

That’s super exciting!! Was Pratt your top choice?? I’m not 100% sure what the average scholarship amount is from Pratt specifically, but $15,000 per semester seems like a good little chunk of money for sure! 

Actually, Pratt wasn't my top choice because tuition fee is expensive. New York is good place for artists, and funding is so attractive to me. So I'll wait and see other schools as well but I'm relieved now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MjamesPDX said:

So just out of curiosity- and I throw this question out there for everyone- how do you guys plan on making up the difference in tuition costs and living fees after your scholarship money offers? Some schools for instance have a $55,000+ per year tuition cost, plus a mandatory $1000+ health insurance fee, several academic fees and then of course there’s room and board.. Are you guys taking out graduate loans or how are you paying for all this?

I know it’s not ideal, but I think I’ll have to continue working a part time job just to pay rent while in school :( What’s your guy’s academic financial plans?

Loans.. 😢 & working

Edited by Nik2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.