Jump to content

MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum


Recommended Posts

Just now, Karisjns said:

Okay y'all, I am absolutely confused/flabbergasted.

I just got an interview invitation from SVA after hearing nothing from them since I turned in my application in January???

They have already sent out waitlists, rejections and acceptances in my department (fine arts/painting) several weeks ago.

This is weird and unexpected.

Seems like they went through their first round applicants and now that some of them weren't accepted or didn't accept their offers they are interviewing you. Congrats! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got an acceptance letter from SMFA!!!!! And a $15,000 a year scholarship!!!!! If there was an emoji for fainting and then laying on the ground giggling with glee that would be me haha. SOOOOO much R

The MFA grad advisor attempted to call me, but instead received a UT Austin Painting acceptance via email!  Nominated for a recruitment fellowship through the University, which includes a full scholar

Just got accepted to Penn State via Email!!! I am crying, this is so incredibly validating because I wasn't even going to apply this year because I didn't think my work was ready or good enough. Also

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

Okay y'all, I am absolutely confused/flabbergasted.

I just got an interview invitation from SVA after hearing nothing from them since I turned in my application in January???

They have already sent out waitlists, rejections and acceptances in my department (fine arts/painting) several weeks ago.

This is weird and unexpected.

Congrats!! And I feel ya, this whole process is weird and stressful, especially at this late date. I'm waiting for two more schools and realizing I can't assume anything since obviously their results aren't out yet.

I interviewed with UARK way back in February (ultimate rejection) and I had NO idea the whole process would be stretching on so long. Haha, thought I'd know either way much much sooner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received an acceptance with tuition remission, but now I’m even more stressed out as this is my second acceptance, (still waiting on two schools, including one of my top choices). I know its been said many times on this forum to not take out debt to get an MFA but I’m sort of leaning towards another program where I got a decent scholarship but the tuition is still fairly high. I believe the other school to be a much more competitive higher ranked school but I’m still so nervous to take out massive loans to fund it. I’m trying to justify the costs to myself with things like: I’ll be in a city where there is more potential for networking, it will look better on my resume, etc. But I still don’t know. Ah! Hoping I make the right choice in the end. 

How is everyone else coping with funding? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tee_lemon said:

I just received an acceptance with tuition remission, but now I’m even more stressed out as this is my second acceptance, (still waiting on two schools, including one of my top choices). I know its been said many times on this forum to not take out debt to get an MFA but I’m sort of leaning towards another program where I got a decent scholarship but the tuition is still fairly high. I believe the other school to be a much more competitive higher ranked school but I’m still so nervous to take out massive loans to fund it. I’m trying to justify the costs to myself with things like: I’ll be in a city where there is more potential for networking, it will look better on my resume, etc. But I still don’t know. Ah! Hoping I make the right choice in the end. 

How is everyone else coping with funding? 

I personally will take out a loan for school so that I can comfortably live while having sufficient supplies to work on my practice.

But for me, I am extremely low income and could not have received a higher education without loans, so I really didn't have a choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tee_lemon said:

I just received an acceptance with tuition remission, but now I’m even more stressed out as this is my second acceptance, (still waiting on two schools, including one of my top choices). I know its been said many times on this forum to not take out debt to get an MFA but I’m sort of leaning towards another program where I got a decent scholarship but the tuition is still fairly high. I believe the other school to be a much more competitive higher ranked school but I’m still so nervous to take out massive loans to fund it. I’m trying to justify the costs to myself with things like: I’ll be in a city where there is more potential for networking, it will look better on my resume, etc. But I still don’t know. Ah! Hoping I make the right choice in the end. 

How is everyone else coping with funding? 

Personally, I would go with the free school unless their program seems super bad, which I would doubt since why would you apply there in the first place? :) Then again, if the debt-burden school is in an area you plan to stay and build a career in, then you do have a tough decision ahead of you. Of course, this depends on the amount of debt... $20k or so is manageable to me if the program is that much better. Any higher and I would have to consider whether it is really worth it. Just my two cents. Good luck. 

Edited by EastCoastPhoto
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ackey said:

Waitlisted at MICA Mt Royal! Since I never heard anything after the application deadline, I had written them off as a rejection. I'm honestly a little confused by the timeline though, since I wouldn't hear if a space opens up until mid-April through even possibly late July, and it seems like I would need to have my mind made up about any other schools by April 15? 

How likely is it to get into a school off of their waitlist, and how many people does MICA usually waitlist?

I also got into SVA, but I'm not sure if it will be financially doable with the amount of aid I received 😞

 

How much did you receive to SVA if you don't mind me asking?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rejected from Columbia College Chicago after a very short interview with them last month.

No email, just randomly checked my portal and it was put on there last week.

Today is a whirlwind.

Edited by Karisjns
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

artperson, did you hear from Colorado or Maryland? 

I called Colorado and it sounds like I wasn't a first selection candidate and am on a waitlist. I'm assuming Maryland is a rejection since they typically reach out to students in end of February to early March. Either way, I received tuition remission and an assistantship from Umass amherst and really love the location and am excited about the interdisciplinary program, so even if I hear back from Maryland, Colorado, or Oregon it won't make a difference at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason my google analytics isn't working right... I have an art station account and I can see on their end that I'm getting big website hits even as recent as this morning, but on google I'm not getting any information.. 

 

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out lol :)

Edited by MjamesPDX
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, artperson said:

I called Colorado and it sounds like I wasn't a first selection candidate and am on a waitlist. I'm assuming Maryland is a rejection since they typically reach out to students in end of February to early March. Either way, I received tuition remission and an assistantship from Umass amherst and really love the location and am excited about the interdisciplinary program, so even if I hear back from Maryland, Colorado, or Oregon it won't make a difference at this point. 

That's fantastic news, congrats! So happy for you!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, Ais said:

As an international too, I found it really helpful to email a couple past students from the programmes I applied to; I got some very detailed responses and it's lovely how willing artists are to help each other. They gave me very helpful insights into their experiences, the pros/ cons/ struggles of the programme and the sort of artist they think it bests suits (some even took the time to look at my website). This really helped me envision how I would find being on the MFA.

Hope that helps and good luck deciding :-D 

I eventually decided to go with RCA xD, since I like the location more. I didn’t email any of the alumnus in the same program yet, planning to find one to ask about the overall atmosphere at school and such. Thanks for your advices!

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, defcalm said:

I received an acceptance email from VCU photo+film on March 9th. I had to decline because of logistics + my first choice was offering funding. 

Sweet, thanks for the response. Also congrats on getting funding at your first choice; that's awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tee_lemon said:

I just received an acceptance with tuition remission, but now I’m even more stressed out as this is my second acceptance, (still waiting on two schools, including one of my top choices). I know its been said many times on this forum to not take out debt to get an MFA but I’m sort of leaning towards another program where I got a decent scholarship but the tuition is still fairly high. I believe the other school to be a much more competitive higher ranked school but I’m still so nervous to take out massive loans to fund it. I’m trying to justify the costs to myself with things like: I’ll be in a city where there is more potential for networking, it will look better on my resume, etc. But I still don’t know. Ah! Hoping I make the right choice in the end. 

How is everyone else coping with funding? 

Congrats! If it's GSU, I too got accepted and it was a school I didn't get a chance to visit while applying. I'm making the trip down to Atlanta next week to check it out. It being a 3 year program, tuition remission, a small stipend plus 2 years of teaching experience if you want it is about as good as it's going to get for me. 

It depends on what your plans are for afterwards, but 3 years to focus on my art in a huge international city without going into considerable debt is a go for me. I'm still going to have to take out some dough for living expenses however.

 I'll make my decision after I visit, and I'm still waiting to hear back from Oregon. . . . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Karisjns said:

How much did you receive to SVA if you don't mind me asking?

I got $12,000 a year in merit scholarship. I'm happy to receive the scholarship, but cost of living with the remaining cost of the program would definitely result in me taking out more loans than I feel comfortable with

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SerpentSkort said:

Accepted to the Art Video program at Syracuse with a 60% scholarship! Pretty sure I’m gonna accept this offer :)

I was just about to post the same thing. I got a 60% scholarship too — congrats!!!! I’m still deciding between this and RISD. They’re very different programs, but I’m leaning towards RISD right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.