46 minutes ago, FedeHikari said:

I actually hope to enter those programs, because they would be the perfect fit for me, but like anyone else one doesn't really know until the admission/rejection e-mail ;) As for my profile, I'm happy to share it with you without any reservation. I hold a Bachelor's Degree summa cum laude from la Sapienza University (ranked #1 in Italy) in Japanese, a Master's Degree in Japanese from the same institution (not laude this time but still maximum, 110/110). I also have another Master's Degree from another Institution (very famous in Italy and Europe for East Asian Studies) with 110/110 too; this Master focused on International Relations. As for GPAs, I think it is about 3.93 (unweighted) for BA, 3.88 for both my MAs. As you can see I'm strong on titles, but not so much on work experience (this is a country problem, but that's a whole other discussion). I have been an intern in the Oriental Library of La Sapienza for a year, I have worked in a travel agency in Naples, have some  experience in translation. I have been in Japan for 4 months (a Summer session and for personal initiative to improve my Japanese skills). I'm currently studying to take N1 in Japanese (the biggest grade of achievement for foreigners), probably in July; as for Chinese I hold HSK 4 and I have some knowledge of Korean. It is not an impressive resumé, I'm aware; still, apart from a Stanford Professor, every Ivy (and not) POI I contacted encouraged me to apply, showing deep interest for my intended field of study. I really really hope to enter a PhD program next year! (Sorry for the very long answer lol). As for TOEFL, my score is 108; my GRE scores are 162 V, 157 Q, 4.5 AWA (according to Magoosh, they're fairly adequate for what I'm afraid is a long shot).

Your GPA sounds incredible for me. lol. Great profile! I'm applying for MA, so hopefully, the majority of my competitors are not in your shape. 

Despite having many working experiences in the private sector as well as the political reality in China, I really appreciate your profile. If only I have taken the exams seriously during undergraduate! I was running my own business then. 

My best wishes to you :)

1 minute ago, civitas said:

Your GPA sounds incredible for me. lol. Great profile! I'm applying for MA, so hopefully, the majority of my competitors are not in your shape. 

Despite having many working experiences in the private sector as well as the political reality in China, I really appreciate your profile. If only I have taken the exams seriously during undergraduate! I was running my own business then. 

My best wishes to you :)

I really hope that admission boards will share your opinion ahah! Thank you for the feedback :) I'm actually so envious of your work experience (we can say there's mutual admiration then)! My best wishes to you too ;)  fingers crossed!!?

1 minute ago, FedeHikari said:

I really hope that admission boards will share your opinion ahah! Thank you for the feedback :) I'm actually so envious of your work experience (we can say there's mutual admiration then)! My best wishes to you too ;)  fingers crossed!!?

Well, I have heard many of my classmates studying in other fields who have a requirement for publication when applying to graduate programs. I have no idea concerning EAS; few of my classmates published anything in journals even in Chinese, and I am from one of the most prestigious university in Chinese studies in China. What's your opinion about this?

15 minutes ago, civitas said:

Well, I have heard many of my classmates studying in other fields who have a requirement for publication when applying to graduate programs. I have no idea concerning EAS; few of my classmates published anything in journals even in Chinese, and I am from one of the most prestigious university in Chinese studies in China. What's your opinion about this?

I have had the same problem back in Italy. Although not compulsory, a publication would boost an application. Still, it is somehow (I don't know in China, but given your answer I think that's basically the same) very hard for Humanities (again, I'm speaking about Italy :) ) students to publish anything. So there's this paradox: you're a recent graduate with very good grades but  no publications vs an older applicant with publications, so admission boards prefer the latter. This is not of course to discredit people who have publications; on the contrary, I wish I knew how to do it during my MAs! XD Getting published is a mess back here. I hope that admission boards will consider the different backgrounds. Spoiler alert: an Italian friend of mine with no publications got in Princeton (Japanese program too), so it's definitely doable! I know that sometimes master's thesis are considered as research experience. Anyhow, if you're applying for a MA, I honestly don't think you will need publications at all (they are not requested for PhD programs either ;) ) If I may ask, which Universities are you considering? 

Just now, FedeHikari said:

I have had the same problem back in Italy. Although not compulsory, a publication would boost an application. Still, it is somehow (I don't know in China, but given your answer I think that's basically the same) very hard for Humanities (again, I'm speaking about Italy :) ) students to publish anything. So there's this paradox: you're a recent graduate with very good grades but  no publications vs an older applicant with publications, so admission boards prefer the latter. This is not of course to discredit people who have publications; on the contrary, I wish I knew how to do it during my MAs! XD Getting published is a mess back here. I hope that admission boards will consider the different backgrounds. Spoiler alert: an Italian friend of mine with no publications got in Princeton (Japanese program too), so it's definitely doable! I know that sometimes master's thesis are considered as research experience. Anyhow, if you're applying for a MA, I honestly don't think you will need publications at all (they are not requested for PhD programs either ;) ) If I may ask, which Universities are you considering? 

The best one is Columbia University's MARSEA, mostly due to its preference toward working experience. Some other choices: Cornell, Texas Austin, Indiana Bloomington, McGill.

I'm applying for Harvard's School of Education, largely due to my related experiences and achievements in this field. Unfortunately, my GPA was too low in my undergraduate institution, therefore I have to take such a strategy. I wonder if I will be rejected by every graduate school lol.

I haven't taken a GRE for now, yet as a Chinese student, my estimation is V155-160/Q170/AW4. 

1 minute ago, civitas said:

The best one is Columbia University's MARSEA, mostly due to its preference toward working experience. Some other choices: Cornell, Texas Austin, Indiana Bloomington, McGill.

I'm applying for Harvard's School of Education, largely due to my related experiences and achievements in this field. Unfortunately, my GPA was too low in my undergraduate institution, therefore I have to take such a strategy. I wonder if I will be rejected by every graduate school lol.

I haven't taken a GRE for now, yet as a Chinese student, my estimation is V155-160/Q170/AW4. 

I have talked (let's say I have sent a number of emails to everyone and someone was so kind to answer) to a POI from Wisconsin, who strongly encouraged me to apply wherever possible. I have a wide array of choices lol, so I give you the same advice: just apply. You really never know (I'm of course SO NERVOUS, also because PhD deadline is approaching so fast, so giving this kind of advices really seems weird ahha) :) And, as many before me said, tests scores and GPA are only a part of your application ;)

28 minutes ago, FedeHikari said:

I have talked (let's say I have sent a number of emails to everyone and someone was so kind to answer) to a POI from Wisconsin, who strongly encouraged me to apply wherever possible. I have a wide array of choices lol, so I give you the same advice: just apply. You really never know (I'm of course SO NERVOUS, also because PhD deadline is approaching so fast, so giving this kind of advices really seems weird ahha) :) And, as many before me said, tests scores and GPA are only a part of your application ;)

Yes, NERVOUS +1

May I ask how many schools do you submit applications to?

36 minutes ago, civitas said:

Yes, NERVOUS +1

May I ask how many schools do you submit applications to?

I haven't counted them lol XD I'd say 15-20 schools, maybe (I know, it seems such an enormous quantity). The first in line are Columbia and University of British Columbia :)

Edited by FedeHikari

9 hours ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Modern Japanese history with a focus on gender and sexuality :)  My experiences (yep, in plural ..) with PhD application can be found here, if anyone is interested: 

Well, although I'm a bit hesitated to say so, could you help me to determine which language score should I send to EAS programs?

My TOEFL: R30/L29/S23/W28 (110)

My IELTS: R8.5/L8.5/S7.0/W6.0 (7.5)

Seems that both scores have their weakness..

13 hours ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Modern Japanese history with a focus on gender and sexuality :)  My experiences (yep, in plural ..) with PhD application can be found here, if anyone is interested: 

Thank you very much for sharing! That was so inspiring and helpful. :)  I'll definitely ask some more people to review my work before uploading it! Indeed, one of my POIs from Harvard told me that the only thing about me he was unsure of was exactly the History major/minor (of course, he told me that Harvard has an extreme competition, so it was only made to strengthen my application without giving me false hope). But then I replied that actually I had undertaken 9 History courses (one about China, one about Asian art, one about modern Korea...and the other on Japan) all with As, so I felt confident that would not be a problem (and in following emails to other POIs I mentioned this fact)...Just because in Italy a well-rounded Asian course must have a LOT of History courses, but I then understood that it was not the same to US XD You're definitely right when you say that POI's feedbacks are definitely helpful! I have sent dozen of emails presenting me (just to say "hey, I've got grades good enough, but I want to make sure you know") and my research interests. The same Harvard POI replied with an interesting answer: "Your field is both one already studied and one still worth investing" :) I'm currently chiseling my MA's thesis on welfare policies for childhood in Japan, I hope they like it!

4 hours ago, civitas said:

Well, although I'm a bit hesitated to say so, could you help me to determine which language score should I send to EAS programs?

My TOEFL: R30/L29/S23/W28 (110)

My IELTS: R8.5/L8.5/S7.0/W6.0 (7.5)

Seems that both scores have their weakness..

I'd personally go for TOEFL (had similar scores and I chose it). Just to let you know my scores:

TOEFL R29/L28/S25/W26 (108)

IELTS R 8.5/L 8.5/ S7.5/W 5.5 (7.5) 

I have made this decision mostly thinking of my writing performance, which significantly improved for TOEFL. Anyhow, as long as it is more than 100, you should be fine ;)

3 hours ago, FedeHikari said:

I'd personally go for TOEFL (had similar scores and I chose it). Just to let you know my scores:

TOEFL R29/L28/S25/W26 (108)

IELTS R 8.5/L 8.5/ S7.5/W 5.5 (7.5) 

I have made this decision mostly thinking of my writing performance, which significantly improved for TOEFL. Anyhow, as long as it is more than 100, you should be fine ;)

Sigh. Enough though. I wish I can get a better GRE score...

4 hours ago, FedeHikari said:

I'd personally go for TOEFL (h

^I've actually never taken IELTS so I only had TOEFL scores to send. Either way, I was told that those scores only help you to pass thresholds, e.g. if the school says 100 is enough, then 101 is enough. What matters almost never is this kind of scores. 

3 hours ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

^I've actually never taken IELTS so I only had TOEFL scores to send. Either way, I was told that those scores only help you to pass thresholds, e.g. if the school says 100 is enough, then 101 is enough. What matters almost never is this kind of scores. 

Wow. Since sending IELTS is cheaper...

And what about GRE or undergrad GPA (from an overseas institution)?

On 11/15/2018 at 2:36 AM, FedeHikari said:

Yeah, I was thinking of Columbia and Harvard's programs too, like @AnUglyBoringNerdsaid. What is your field? :) I'd like to study Japanese education policies in all its colonies during its Empire phase.

I study 19th century Japanese history and my MA thesis is on a certain minority group during the transition period (I'm trying intentionally to be as vague as possible of course ☺️).

December 1st is coming so quickly!

9 hours ago, potsupotsu said:

I study 19th century Japanese history and my MA thesis is on a certain minority group during the transition period (I'm trying intentionally to be as vague as possible of course ☺️).

December 1st is coming so quickly!

I may have some ideas but I respect your will to be as vague as possible :D Which Universities are you considering, if I may?

3 minutes ago, civitas said:

Finally got my GRE score (unofficial, as the exam was taken today): V165/Q170. No idea about AW yet..

Awesome! :) with this quantitative you are a math genius to me XD

On 11/22/2018 at 7:57 AM, FedeHikari said:

I may have some ideas but I respect your will to be as vague as possible :D Which Universities are you considering, if I may?

I'm applying to  Northwestern, Chicago, Harvard (HEAL), Yale, Princeton. What about you?

On 11/22/2018 at 8:08 AM, lordtiandao said:

I would say UCLA might seem like a good fit, if you're planning on carrying on with your MA research. I have friends in Japanese history doing similar work studying minority groups in late Meiji/early Taisho. @potsupotsu

I did actually think about applying there! I didn't apply for kind of a superficial reason, but to be honest I couldn't see myself living in LA for that long... I prefer the east coast too much!

On 11/10/2018 at 6:51 AM, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

I wouldn't say this is very true for those who are applying to PhD programs. I'm Chinese and when I was applying all of my senpai kept reminding me that SOP and writing sample are the most important material which one uses to demonstrate credentials and potential. Like lordtiandao said, there is nothing you can do about your GPA. And although I didn't have a GPA issue that warrants an explanation, I've seen more advanced graduate students on this forum advise against using the limited space of your SOP to "justify" GPA, which may actually ends up bringing negative attention to it.

I took my GRE yesterday: the unofficial score was 165V/170Q. Is that enough to compensate for my GPA (81 out of 100)?

16 hours ago, potsupotsu said:

I'm applying to  Northwestern, Chicago, Harvard (HEAL), Yale, Princeton. What about you?

Chicago, Harvard HEAL, Columbia (History - East Asia), Yale, Princeton, Wisconsin - Madison, Univ. of Chicago at Urbana, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB (lol written like that they seem drugs) ahah! Good luck to you too :D