3 hours ago, Naito said:

Yeah professors are away for the winter recess and won’t be back for classes until late Jan. The clerks in the GSAS office probably are assembling the applications and ranking them in terms of GPA, GRE, AND languages etc. for committee review. 

If I remember correctly there was a language section for virtually all the schools I applied to (UPenn, Stanford, Harvard etc.) in 2017 as well. 

Just like postupotsu said, many of the professors had read applications, but the committee will be convening this week/ But, of course, in case of the schools that just finished grading like H, it is reasonable to expect that they haven't started reviewing at this point. But schools have different academic schedules, and many schools finished grading last week or two. So it would be smart for anyone who's wondering what's going on with their schools to check their academic calendars. Also, MA applications and Ph.D. applications mostly have a different timeline, so that might explain a bit. Most schools start to review MA applications after Ph.D. applications because they have a different set of expectations and whatnot. 

And yes, virtually all the schools had a language section because it's an EALC program. What I was saying was that if all people got the same email to fill out the language section (especially if you had already filled it out when you submitted the app, which was my case) from H, the email might not be anything more than an administrative mistake. 

Edited by EAstudies

@EAstudies @FedeHikari Yes, it is more probable than not that this was an administrative mistake regarding the language email. Harvard is a HUGE place and it'd not surprise me that some busy students or new clerical assistants (or maybe even temps) are working over the winter recess through the student employment program and were not familiar with administrative procedures and thus made clerical mistakes. Overworked and underpaid do that to you.  :D There was even a union protest lately. Given all that commotion a shuffling of staff and a mistake were rather likely. Don't worry too much about it. (In the grand scheme of things, 1-2 years from now, you may look back at all this waiting and feel that this was not worth the wait). 

PS: I love their slogan: "We can't eat prestige." lol :D 

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/10/4/huctw-tabling/

Edited by Naito

8 hours ago, Naito said:

@EAstudies @FedeHikari Yes, it is more probable than not that this was an administrative mistake regarding the language email. Harvard is a HUGE place and it'd not surprise me that some busy students or new clerical assistants (or maybe even temps) are working over the winter recess through the student employment program and were not familiar with administrative procedures and thus made clerical mistakes. Overworked and underpaid do that to you.  :D There was even a union protest lately. Given all that commotion a shuffling of staff and a mistake were rather likely. Don't worry too much about it. (In the grand scheme of things, 1-2 years from now, you may look back at all this waiting and feel that this was not worth the wait). 

PS: I love their slogan: "We can't eat prestige." lol :D 

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/10/4/huctw-tabling/

Haha, I'm not too worried at all, to begin with. I was just replying to a question. Things will happen and the process will be over, and I'm pretty certain it will work out one way or the other. And I don't even feel like I've been waiting because I'm so occupied with other projects, which is pretty fortunate. But thanks for the nice words.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends!

This is my first time ever to reply at Gradcafe! Thanks a lot for creating this useful thread and I have been lurking for several days.

Little bit about myself: I am a Chinese International student at UW-Seattle with a Political Science major. Comparing to EALC/EALAC, EAS is a better match of my research interest and hence I have applied to a bunch of EAS master programs for this fall. Just wrapped up my very last application and here comes the panic waiting time!  Best of luck to other applicants and we will see how everything goes!

Winter is here, stay warm!

Good luck @beckGJJ!

I hope everyone is doing well!

I've had two interviews so far so it feels good that there is at least some interest in my application, but I'm still so nervous ?I can't wait for this process to be over with and to start making plans for next year! 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:34 AM, beckGJJ said:

Hello friends!

This is my first time ever to reply at Gradcafe! Thanks a lot for creating this useful thread and I have been lurking for several days.

Little bit about myself: I am a Chinese International student at UW-Seattle with a Political Science major. Comparing to EALC/EALAC, EAS is a better match of my research interest and hence I have applied to a bunch of EAS master programs for this fall. Just wrapped up my very last application and here comes the panic waiting time!  Best of luck to other applicants and we will see how everything goes!

Winter is here, stay warm!

Best of luck to you too! :D

20 hours ago, potsupotsu said:

Congrats on Princeton! It must be a nice feeling to know that at least you are in somewhere. And it's Princeton at that!

Thanks a lot, Postupostu! I hope everything works out for you, too. I'm still waiting on other schools, so let's keep our fingers crossed!

18 hours ago, TEATHEA said:

Hi guys, anyone heard from EALC phd at UChicago? Wonder whether they send interviews...

I think (judging from UChicago history at least) they are delayed in sending out decisions because of the snowstorm last week. I think we'll probably hear from the history department this week, so perhaps you'll hear from EALC soon too!

Edited by potsupotsu

11 hours ago, potsupotsu said:

I think (judging from UChicago history at least) they are delayed in sending out decisions because of the snowstorm last week. I think we'll probably hear from the history department this week, so perhaps you'll hear from EALC soon too!

Thank you potsupotsu, hope you get good news! 

Hi all! Long time lurker here, finally decided to post. Congratulations to all those receiving good news! And hang in there to those still waiting (I'm with you).

Anyone still waiting to hear from certain departments, and if so which ones? I feel like I may have missed the boat even for a waitlist if I haven't heard anything by now...even UPenn is giving me the cold shoulder.

It's still very early so don't count yourself out yet! I've only received a decision from one program myself (I was accepted to Northwestern's History department). Judging from past additions to the results page, most schools don't start sending decisions until the first two weeks of February, so hopefully we'll start hearing back from schools in the next two weeks! 

But waiting is certainly very nerve-wracking! I'm wondering if I've missed the boat on HEAL since a few people on the History side of this forum have gotten decisions from the History department at Harvard already... but perhaps they are handled separately. I hope they are!

@potsupotsu Let's hope so! And thank you for the words of encouragement! I applied for 2017 Fall two years ago, and struck out on every application. The more that times passes, the more I fret that this year might be a repeat of that (yikes). But you're right. It's too soon to worry. Especially since it's not over until its over. Here's to hoping the emails we're waiting for come through soon! 

19 hours ago, apnew said:

Columbia should be out within the next few days. 

Hey apnew, may I ask how you knew this? I'm expecting the same based on the past results, but I wonder if you heard this from Columbia or sources other than the result board of this website.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:11 PM, potsupotsu said:

It's still very early so don't count yourself out yet! I've only received a decision from one program myself (I was accepted to Northwestern's History department). Judging from past additions to the results page, most schools don't start sending decisions until the first two weeks of February, so hopefully we'll start hearing back from schools in the next two weeks! 

But waiting is certainly very nerve-wracking! I'm wondering if I've missed the boat on HEAL since a few people on the History side of this forum have gotten decisions from the History department at Harvard already... but perhaps they are handled separately. I hope they are!

By the way, congrats on Northwestern and Yale! It seems like you already have offers from solid departments. 

5 hours ago, EAstudies said:

By the way, congrats on Northwestern and Yale! It seems like you already have offers from solid departments. 

Thank you! Yes, I have a lot to think about already, but I am still quite anxious to hear back from the other two. HEAL is probably tied with Yale for my top choice program. Hopefully this week most of the remaining programs will release decisions and this process can finally end ?