2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

2 minutes ago, yubs89 said:

I got waitlisted at UVA too...

where on the portal does it show a decision? Mine has no place for any update or anything like that, I don't think anything has changed on it.

Where did you see yours?

Im sorry for pestering on this, just kinda having a mini-panic attack 

Edited by Dwar

Just now, Dwar said:

where on the portal does it show a decision? Mine has no place for any update or anything like that, I don't think anything has changed on it.

Where did you see yours?

You go into your account and look below the "Status Update" tab.

1 minute ago, plzuniverse said:

Is it appropriate to ask how high you are on the waitlist? The whole thing is very vexing... 

I think it might be too early to come off that anxious about it. And a lot of wait lists aren't ordered in a nice way -- it could very easily be a "if this one student who studies the influence of tubas in Latin American elections says no to us, and everyone who says yes to us is a dude, we'll admit latam tuba chick." An email reiterating that that school is a top choice for you could be good. 

4 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

I have no stake in the UVA game, but has it only been wait lists and rejections that have come out? Interesting because those are hardly ever the first out. 

Maybe those without options on their portals are acceptances.

So I assume then that waitlists and rejections coming out first isn't normal?

I still haven't heard back from them, been obsessively checking both the portal and the results page and you're right, it does seem like no one has been accepted yet. 

1 minute ago, Dwar said:

So I assume then that waitlists and rejections coming out first isn't normal?

I still haven't heard back from them, been obsessively checking both the portal and the results page and you're right, it does seem like no one has been accepted yet. 

Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? I've heard that sometimes solves things. 

I mean, I understand sending out some rejections first (people who don't make it past the first round), but it makes less sense to send out wait lists and rejects first, because by virtue of knowing who has a wait list and a rejection, they must also already know who is accepted. 

1 minute ago, eggsalad14 said:

Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? I've heard that sometimes solves things. 

I mean, I understand sending out some rejections first (people who don't make it past the first round), but it makes less sense to send out wait lists and rejects first, because by virtue of knowing who has a wait list and a rejection, they must also already know who is accepted. 

Thats true, which is why I am surprised by this apparent route that they are taking

34 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

I think it might be too early to come off that anxious about it. And a lot of wait lists aren't ordered in a nice way -- it could very easily be a "if this one student who studies the influence of tubas in Latin American elections says no to us, and everyone who says yes to us is a dude, we'll admit latam tuba chick." An email reiterating that that school is a top choice for you could be good. 

Thanks very much for the reply! Really appreciate it!

I was sent a generic email at 6pm from UVA to check the portal. I was accepted! 24k funding plus summer stipend and 3 years TA. I’m not the one who posted in the results section

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Slamm said:

I was sent a generic email at 6pm from UVA to check the portal. I was accepted! 24k funding plus summer stipend and 3 years TA. I’m not the one who posted in the results section

Thanks for letting us know!

Its still a bit weird that a bunch of us haven't heard anything then. it seems that unlike other programs they are pretty quick to send out rejections or waitlists.

I am cautiously hoping that the lack of news is a good sign? but honestly who knows anymore. 

Damn it, Dwar, I haven't heard anything either, unsettling. Weird that some rejections were sent out. Do you think we'll have more decisions tonight or tomorrow? Ugh, nothing on the website or email for me. 

Anyone claim the Colorado acceptance? I'm not seeing anything for myself.

And do we anticipate TAMU or UC Davis coming in soon? 

None of my schools still released results. If I ever apply Ph.D. again (I hope not, I want to get in a department this time as this is my second time), I will apply only West Coast schools. They review everything faster and give results.