2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

27 minutes ago, 90BS said:

Anyone there still waiting to hear from UC Berkeley? I see that many have posted their rejections and acceptances. Still waiting to hear about mine (for CP)..

I would be cautiously optimistic that you are on some kind of soft wait list. Or at least made it past the first cut. They sent out a ton of rejections (including one for me) a few days ago. 

4 minutes ago, Kiki2706 said:

For Northwestern, the last update I had (at least for American politics) is that no final decisions had been made as of January 24th- and the university has been closed. As fo the recent decisions people have posted, they may now be considering waitlist . Or, the university is just closed and the decisions, whether accepted or denied are delayed. 

Interesting - I thought I saw an American acceptance on the 23rd. Here's hoping they'll come out soon!

7 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Lol I feel like this is really getting ahead of ourselves. There's a thread awhile back that has some old visit dates, and I'd be surprised if they deviated much from previous years. Top schools will try hard to not make theirs intersect. 

As I said in my post, I already have a conflict between two schools I've been admitted to, so for me, it very much doesn't seem to be getting ahead of myself. With current admissions alone, I'm likely to be making 3 trips with 5+ hour flights each way. It's no small commitment. Schools have limited reimbursement budgets and encourage us to book flights early, which is difficult to do when so much is still up in the air. I'd also hate to schedule a trip and then have a school fall lower in my preferences based off of future admissions. I'd still be pretty much obligated to go (some schools won't reimburse you if you don't attend), but it would be a waste of the school's money and of their faculty's time in speaking with me, which I would feel poorly about, and a waste of my time to boot.

In any case, if I find much in old threads, I'll share it.

7 minutes ago, upsy said:

As I said in my post, I already have a conflict between two schools I've been admitted to, so for me, it very much doesn't seem to be getting ahead of myself. With current admissions alone, I'm likely to be making 3 trips with 5+ hour flights each way. It's no small commitment. Schools have limited reimbursement budgets and encourage us to book flights early, which is difficult to do when so much is still up in the air. I'd also hate to schedule a trip and then have a school fall lower in my preferences based off of future admissions. I'd still be pretty much obligated to go (some schools won't reimburse you if you don't attend), but it would be a waste of the school's money and of their faculty's time in speaking with me, which I would feel poorly about, and a waste of my time to boot.

In any case, if I find much in old threads, I'll share it.

Sorry I realized I sounded more hostile than I meant to be. 

My big point is really that if you wait a bit, you'll have a lot more info about where you've gotten into, and which schools you're really considering. Ticket prices don't jump too much until maybe 2-3 weeks before the flight, so you'll be okay if you don't have 12 contingency plans right this moment. 

19 minutes ago, Marius G said:

Does anyone know when I should expect to hear back from Gtown, UMD, UPenn? Are they usually in February or March?

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Maryland is probably around mid-February, based on previous years. If I remember correctly, Georgetown should be around the same timeframe (could be a bit earlier or later- I haven’t looked at it in a while). You can check the results page for previous years at your schools to find more info. Good luck!

26 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Sorry I realized I sounded more hostile than I meant to be. 

My big point is really that if you wait a bit, you'll have a lot more info about where you've gotten into, and which schools you're really considering. Ticket prices don't jump too much until maybe 2-3 weeks before the flight, so you'll be okay if you don't have 12 contingency plans right this moment. 

I guess I'll have no choice other than to wait a bit, there was very little information on visit dates in the other thread. The earliest visits are still a good month away. Schools also seem to be fairly willing to schedule alternate dates, so I guess I'll try to rely on that if I end up with more conflicts.

5 minutes ago, upsy said:

I guess I'll have no choice other than to wait a bit, there was very little information on visit dates in the other thread. The earliest visits are still a good month away. Schools also seem to be fairly willing to schedule alternate dates, so I guess I'll try to rely on that if I end up with more conflicts.

I thought there was a good thread that I found a while back. When I'm home I can try to find it for you. 

4 minutes ago, StormingTheCastle said:

I still haven't heard from Northwestern, Virginia, Pittsburgh, and CU Boulder. It isn't anxiety-inducing at all. ?

Virginia should have a second round of decisions coming out today. If you’re really feeling anxious you can always call their office and ask, some people on here have found success with that. 

I haven’t called myself, waiting until like 5 or 5:30 to do that 

6 hours ago, ijustwantin said:

Anymore news from Colorado Boulder?

I heard back around 4:30 EST. The portal still said submitted but there was a separate link to click and see the decision page. It looks like another person did as well so I guess they aren't all coming out at once this year