2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

6 minutes ago, sandmoon said:

who here hasn't gotten an acceptance? feeling kinda lonely here seeing all the acceptances. (congrats to those who got in to places!)

Me! Northwestern is the only one I applied to that's even released anything yet, and they seem to be doing that in batches for maximum stress purposes. So far haven't heard anything at all! 

3 minutes ago, Onwarrdz said:

Me! Northwestern is the only one I applied to that's even released anything yet, and they seem to be doing that in batches for maximum stress purposes. So far haven't heard anything at all! 

good luck! seeing the post by you and peggy.olson made me glad I didn't apply to northwestern :) hope you get closure soon!

This may be useful for all of you who are waiting for their results: https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/7srxxy/decision_timelines_for_particular_universities/

The graphs include timelines for when specific schools have released their results between 2013 and 2017, as well as GRE and GPA distributions. It doesn't have all the schools, probably due to smaller amounts of data points, but still interesting and anxiety-relieving.

32 minutes ago, olieb0llen said:

This may be useful for all of you who are waiting for their results: https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/7srxxy/decision_timelines_for_particular_universities/

The graphs include timelines for when specific schools have released their results between 2013 and 2017, as well as GRE and GPA distributions. It doesn't have all the schools, probably due to smaller amounts of data points, but still interesting and anxiety-relieving.

Assuming they're using gradcafe data, just remember that that data is largely skewed, both in good ways and bad ways for us: 

The good: I'm pretty sure those scores are almost universally higher across the board than in reality. It's a little bit of a jump to go from admitted to matriculated students stats, but if you look at Dukes website from the past five years, matriculated verbal is a median of 163 (and remember this is a theory heavy program) and math is 161. This contrasts SO SO SHARPLY against this data, which says virtually everyone accepted has over a 163 quant (and anything below that is an outlier) and median verbal is 166, with 163 being the lower 25%. So, if your scores seem a little low relative to your target schools, do not worry, we have some severe reporting biases here. 

The bad: looking at the acceptance rates here just doesn't work. Again, building off of Duke data, where they admit 10-13% each year, the data here reports about a 40% chance of admittance. I've found this also applies for northwestern and Princeton, which we have an idea of what admission rates are. Oddly enough, for each of these, if you divide the gradcafe admission rate by approx 3, you get pretty close to the real thing. 

The timelines are also hard to read and get an accurate approximate date idk this guy should've made a shiny app or something. 

45 minutes ago, scdaaljobe said:

Only school I applied to and heard back from was Berkeley and was a reject. Hoping NYU, Davis, and San Diego come out today. Don't want to wait over the weekend. 

I think those schools came out on or about Feb 2 last year (see here), which was the first Friday in Feb, so we probably have a decent chance of hearing some results. 

4 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Assuming they're using gradcafe data, just remember that that data is largely skewed, both in good ways and bad ways for us: 

The good: I'm pretty sure those scores are almost universally higher across the board than in reality. It's a little bit of a jump to go from admitted to matriculated students stats, but if you look at Dukes website from the past five years, matriculated verbal is a median of 163 (and remember this is a theory heavy program) and math is 161. This contrasts SO SO SHARPLY against this data, which says virtually everyone accepted has over a 163 quant (and anything below that is an outlier) and median verbal is 166, with 163 being the lower 25%. So, if your scores seem a little low relative to your target schools, do not worry, we have some severe reporting biases here. 

The bad: looking at the acceptance rates here just doesn't work. Again, building off of Duke data, where they admit 10-13% each year, the data here reports about a 40% chance of admittance. I've found this also applies for northwestern and Princeton, which we have an idea of what admission rates are. Oddly enough, for each of these, if you divide the gradcafe admission rate by approx 3, you get pretty close to the real thing. 

The timelines are also hard to read and get an accurate approximate date idk this guy should've made a shiny app or something. 

I think you raise several legit issues with the graphs, especially the self-reporting biases. But if you keep in mind that these numbers are based entirely off results from Grad Cafe, I think they can still save you the time you might want to spend going through pages of reports.

The timelines do not give you a specific date. It does tell you when waves of acceptances/rejections/interviews have come out in the previous years so we don't have to sit around wondering if the schools will be sending us emails any time soon.

12 minutes ago, upsy said:

I think those schools came out on or about Feb 2 last year (see here), which was the first Friday in Feb, so we probably have a decent chance of hearing some results. 

Ya that was the hope. Davis last year came out the 31st and the other two came out on the 2nd. 

14 minutes ago, olieb0llen said:

I think you raise several legit issues with the graphs, especially the self-reporting biases. But if you keep in mind that these numbers are based entirely off results from Grad Cafe, I think they can still save you the time you might want to spend going through pages of reports.

The timelines do not give you a specific date. It does tell you when waves of acceptances/rejections/interviews have come out in the previous years so we don't have to sit around wondering if the schools will be sending us emails any time soon.

This one I think is a little better, I think it's the same data (so obviously same problems) but let's you trace dates. I can't believe so many people do data projects with this data. Makes me want to try it out too haha  

https://fretpwner.shinyapps.io/GradCafeStatistics/

4 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

OK not to beat a dead horse but omg I am honestly amazed @ Northwestern.. If they do the same thing as previous years where they just drag out the rejections for the entire month of February I'm going to... scream

I wonder why would they do this. Do they need a large pool in limbo as an unofficial wait-list or is this how they do administrative stuff?

Anyway, I am ready (?) for one more month of permanent stress, hope and despair

2 minutes ago, IRSquirrel said:

I wonder why would they do this. Do they need a large pool in limbo as an unofficial wait-list or is this how they do administrative stuff?

Anyway, I am ready (?) for one more month of permanent stress, hope and despair

Berkeley is doing the same to me and I hate it!! I just want them to reject me at this point so that I can move on :*(