2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

2 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

What an odd grading scheme. I was assuming a standard American grading scheme where 3.5 is in between a B+ and an A-, and I think for the most part top schools expect mostly As. 

I'm going to preface this again by saying that my words really only apply to about the top 25, because I am not familiar  with admissions statisticsbin lower ranked schools.

I don't know what kind of school you're applying to, but top schools get so many applicants that's they're looking for reasons to reject you, not for reasons to accept you. At top schools, there are going to be plenty of math/econ/stats majors that have great methods course grades AND high Q and V scores. A very low quant score is a reason to reject you. 

Lol ya, the grading scheme tripped me up during my first year.

And ya, that's what i'm afraid of. So for schools that I applied, using the US News ranking, are one top 20 school, two top 50 schools, and two top 100 schools. The top 20 school is the reach one for me, with the two top 50 schools as the ones that I am hoping to get into as they are more realistic. 

Has anyone applied to UMich and received department email persuading to apply for FLAS fellowship? Given its timing (12/21/18), I am inclining to interpret it as a neutral email. However, for a future reference, I w'd like to know if there are others who are in the same position?

1 hour ago, POC said:

Has anyone applied to UMich and received department email persuading to apply for FLAS fellowship? Given its timing (12/21/18), I am inclining to interpret it as a neutral email. However, for a future reference, I w'd like to know if there are others who are in the same position?

I got it too. I think it was neutral. I'm American/methods and have made about 0 indication that I want/need a language so I'm inclined to think it was sent to everyone. 

13 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

I got it too. I think it was neutral. I'm American/methods and have made about 0 indication that I want/need a language so I'm inclined to think it was sent to everyone. 

Good to know that. I am IR/CP and FLAS does not apply to me. I let it pass. 

Is anyone else feeling regret over some applications? My early ones, the ones due in November and early Dec, were way rougher than my Dec 15th batch. Missing items on my CV, a rather badly cut writing sample, etc. Obviously it’s too late to do anything about anything now, but it makes me feel better to get it off my chest!

37 minutes ago, dvxyzijil said:

Is anyone else feeling regret over some applications? My early ones, the ones due in November and early Dec, were way rougher than my Dec 15th batch. Missing items on my CV, a rather badly cut writing sample, etc. Obviously it’s too late to do anything about anything now, but it makes me feel better to get it off my chest!

Hey!

So don't think that its too late, especially at this stage. from what I gather most departments don't meet until the after the new semester begins, so there still may be some time to contact them and fix things! 

For example a couple weeks ago I discovered that i'd uploaded an older copy of my writing sample, I immediately emailed all of the programs and told them that what had happened. All of the program contacts were VERY nice and understanding, they all allowed me to either re-upload the writing sample through their application website, or send it to them directly and they did it themselves. A similar thing happened with my transcripts. I finished the semester and was able to raise my GPA (only by .05 but hey, everything helps) and I emailed all of the programs and told them that id received new transcripts. Again all of the contacts were VERY helpful and allowed me to either re-submit the transcripts or send it to them directly.

So I guess what i'm saying is that up until the point that the committee actually sits down and reviews your application, there is always time to change things! all you have to do is ask, and be polite and apologetic about it!

Hi, I am currently on my applications. Seeming arduous and I cannot wait to be done with them all. My first application is due for January 15th.

I have a question anyway. I have noticed that some of these schools do not show any space to insert the title of my recommenders. For instance, the boxes just say "First name", "Last name." How do I insert "Professor" or "Dr." to any of these?

Happy Holidays guys.

Hi, I am currently on my applications. Seeming arduous and I cannot wait to be done with them all. My first application is due for January 15th.

I have a question anyway. I have noticed that some of these schools do not show any space to insert the title of my recommenders. For instance, the boxes just say "First name", "Last name." How do I insert "Professor" or "Dr." to any of these?

Happy Holidays guys.

One of my application forms had this no-title format as well. I think that some programs want and mostly expect academic recommenders, so the committee just mentally appends “Dr.” in front of every name.

I was a little concerned because one of my recommenders is no longer in academia. I’d wondered if it might not be clear that she has a doctorate and works in an academic-esque research position. Luckily she had the same concern and assured me that she would make clear where she was coming from at the beginning of her letter. If you have the same concern, maybe ask your recommender to include a similar intro?

37 minutes ago, olieb0llen said:

Hey guys! Does anyone have any idea about when schools with Dec 15 deadlines begin reviewing their applications? I had a few late letters coming in this week and I'm just curious if this would hurt my applications on the whole ? 

It varies by school, so there is not answer that will cover all of them. But from what I've heard from the various programs I contacted, most of them begin reviewing applications staring after the holiday season/beginning of the new semester. 

Some of the programs may not like it that application material was submitted after the deadline. Did you reach out to the programs and ask if late letters are okay?

If not, maybe it would be a good idea to reach out to the individual programs and explain the situation. 

31 minutes ago, Dwar said:

It varies by school, so there is not answer that will cover all of them. But from what I've heard from the various programs I contacted, most of them begin reviewing applications staring after the holiday season/beginning of the new semester. 

Some of the programs may not like it that application material was submitted after the deadline. Did you reach out to the programs and ask if late letters are okay?

If not, maybe it would be a good idea to reach out to the individual programs and explain the situation. 

Thanks! I might try to do that. At the same time, I also don't want to draw extra attention the late letter. It's actually a 4th letter outside of the required 3, so I don't know how my application is classified in the system. 

Also, anyone applying to UChicago? Just checked today and apparently the deadline has been extended to January 3rd, 2019. 

3 minutes ago, olieb0llen said:

Thanks! I might try to do that. At the same time, I also don't want to draw extra attention the late letter. It's actually a 4th letter outside of the required 3, so I don't know how my application is classified in the system. 

Also, anyone applying to UChicago? Just checked today and apparently the deadline has been extended to January 3rd, 2019. 

Your app if it had all three will be classified as complete. The fourth may or may not be (but let's be real, it probably will be) read, but since you had all the required materials on time, you're completely fine. 

On 12/28/2018 at 12:36 AM, dvxyzijil said:

One of my application forms had this no-title format as well. I think that some programs want and mostly expect academic recommenders, so the committee just mentally appends “Dr.” in front of every name.

I was a little concerned because one of my recommenders is no longer in academia. I’d wondered if it might not be clear that she has a doctorate and works in an academic-esque research position. Luckily she had the same concern and assured me that she would make clear where she was coming from at the beginning of her letter. If you have the same concern, maybe ask your recommender to include a similar intro?

Hi, thank you so much. I'll be asking them to include this intro while starting the recommendation. I just asked one of them now if he included the fact that he was a doctorate, and he said that he didn't. Sigh!

3 hours ago, olieb0llen said:

I had a few late letters coming in this week and I'm just curious if this would hurt my applications on the whole ? 

I had this issue with one of my letter writers last cycle. All of the institutions I contacted regarding the late letters were fine with it.

Hello, everyone. This is my first post.

I am applying the schools below in political science:

• Harvard University
  • MIT
  • Brown University
  • UMass Amherst
  • Tufts Fletcher School
  • Northeastern University
  • Brandeis University
  • Boston University
  • Boston College

My UGrad GPA is 3.7, and my Master GPA will be around 3.8 - 3.85. I have some grad and Ugrad research experience. My GRE is over 80% percentile in Quant and Verbal. I am interested in international relations. I am good at maths and took several grad/ugrad statistics, calculus and advanced calculus classes.

Edited by TheBunny

On 12/26/2018 at 7:35 PM, Dwar said:

Hey!

So don't think that its too late, especially at this stage. from what I gather most departments don't meet until the after the new semester begins, so there still may be some time to contact them and fix things! 

For example a couple weeks ago I discovered that i'd uploaded an older copy of my writing sample, I immediately emailed all of the programs and told them that what had happened. All of the program contacts were VERY nice and understanding, they all allowed me to either re-upload the writing sample through their application website, or send it to them directly and they did it themselves. A similar thing happened with my transcripts. I finished the semester and was able to raise my GPA (only by .05 but hey, everything helps) and I emailed all of the programs and told them that id received new transcripts. Again all of the contacts were VERY helpful and allowed me to either re-submit the transcripts or send it to them directly.

So I guess what i'm saying is that up until the point that the committee actually sits down and reviews your application, there is always time to change things! all you have to do is ask, and be polite and apologetic about it!

I am happy that they accepted your changes. I tried my chances for some Ivies that I am applying, and they said that they never do changes. It was a bit upsetting for me. 

13 hours ago, TheBunny said:

I am happy that they accepted your changes. I tried my chances for some Ivies that I am applying, and they said that they never do changes. It was a bit upsetting for me. 

Oh man, that's the worst! Guess I've just been lucky that all of the admissions councilors that i've spoken with. They have all been very helpful and nice. 

Edited by Dwar

On 12/16/2018 at 2:51 PM, PolisciappDZ said:

Hey guys and girls! International applicant from Africa with IR MA and research MA (top 1% GPA) applying only for top 20 programs. GRE very low: (152 147 4) but not native speaker and qualitative background. Let me hear back from you guys and you details. Wish you the best (do I really?!?)

I am an International applicant from Nigeria. I think you should have a mix here - a mix of those schools and safe schools so that you can apply for your top 20 programs and still apply to "safe schools."

It is going to be you trying to be careful.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:52 PM, dvxyzijil said:

Definitely feeling loads of regret, even for the Dec 15th batch. So when the results come back, I think I will have a lot of "DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE" advice for folks applying to the next cycle. But like you said, what's done is done. So I'm just gonna try to keep myself super busy for the coming months to distract myself from the results.

But good luck to everyone else! May 2019 be a year of offers and happy dilemmas choosing between schools ?‍♂️

7 hours ago, misaki_rabbit said:

So I'm just gonna try to keep myself super busy for the coming months to distract myself from the results.

Ok I lied. I just scrolled through this forum 7 times today.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:17 PM, eggsalad14 said:

Your app if it had all three will be classified as complete. The fourth may or may not be (but let's be real, it probably will be) read, but since you had all the required materials on time, you're completely fine. 

Some schools explicitly state that the deadline is for all supporting materials, and "late" applications will only be considered after all on-time applications have been processed. Now I'm just debating whether I should contact them about this. 

I also checked all of my applications today and for some, my GRE scores also came in after the deadline. I don't think it should be such a big deal, but it's still a source for anxiety nonetheless ?

11 hours ago, olieb0llen said:

Some schools explicitly state that the deadline is for all supporting materials, and "late" applications will only be considered after all on-time applications have been processed. Now I'm just debating whether I should contact them about this. 

I also checked all of my applications today and for some, my GRE scores also came in after the deadline. I don't think it should be such a big deal, but it's still a source for anxiety nonetheless ?

A lot of schools don't match GRE scores to applications until after the deadline. I'm not sure about the exact mechanics of GRE score matching but I'd wager it's probably easier to do one data pull and one data process at once than multiple of them every day or something. 

Contacting will probably do more harm than good. It's not like if they did consider your app to be late, that pleading on the phone with an overworked admin assistant or an overworked grad director is going to play out that well.