2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

I've seen a few acceptances from UMD over here the other day, but I didn't get anything and my status on the website is the same. Should I just presume I'm on the rejections list to be sent next week?

Also, do you guys know when should we expect to hear from Gtown and UPenn?

On 2/11/2019 at 9:31 PM, gradqs said:

Is there typically funding to travel to Open Houses for schools you are accepted to? Probably a long shot but I want to visit a school I got accepted to that is literally on the other side of the country without breaking the bank.

Most of the time there is at least some funding to help with that from what I have seen. I've seen schools ranked in the 80's that are offering travel assistance for the admitted students day.

31 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

Thank you for your kind words :) I think this application process thought to me that I love political science slightly more than sociology. Also, sociology programs are super super slow to answer applicants. I only heard back from one sociology program, but I heard back from 4-5 political science programs. You are very right about the geographical constraint. My only regret is that I wanted to apply Georgetown (a bit of a stretch but I may have worked it out with my husband) a lot but the application fee to two different programs was so expensive, and I did not apply. Except for that, I do not have any big regrets. If I need to apply again (which currently I do not think so, I think BU is the best fit that can ever happen to me), I may try to work on my GRE and SOP a bit more. 

It can be very defeating. Last year I applied to 11 schools, all ranked in the top 100 but spread out throughout the rankings. I only got one wait list, that didn't open up, and no acceptances. I already have a Master's so I ended up taking the year to study and retake the GRE, reevaluate fit for the schools I was applying to, work out much more personalized SOP's and made them individualized per program, and I started an independent research paper that I submitted to present at a conference (luckily it was accepted) to boost my CV some. Like you I have some limits on my applications this year but instead of location, my limit was how many I could afford to apply to. In the end, I could only apply to 5 schools this year but I already have an acceptance and had an interview from another school (that I should hear from any day...). Sometimes taking a step back and reevaluating whether this is really what you want and where the best fit is can be a huge benefit even if it doesn't feel like it when you get all the rejections and you feel delayed a year from your future. Hopefully my experience helps.

1 hour ago, Marius G said:

I've seen a few acceptances from UMD over here the other day, but I didn't get anything and my status on the website is the same. Should I just presume I'm on the rejections list to be sent next week?

Last year UPenn was about 2/19. Recent years look similar. I probably wouldn't expect anything from them until next week. Georgetown last year was even later, at the end of February, but in previous years they've released results in early-mid Feb. I'd say it's anyone's guess on when you might hear from them.

5 hours ago, TheBunny said:

Thank you so much, but I really take these rejections personally. I know there is nothing like "safety" in Ph.D. applications as getting into any Ph.D. program is very competitive and connected to many variables such as fit, scores, interview, and personality. However, for many programs I got rejected, I thought I really have a shot, and that frustrates me so much. I guess I am not made for a Ph.D.

This is an extremely idiosyncratic process. I'm sorry to hear you've had to deal with so much rejection (what a crappy feeling, even if you're in good company). One thing I wonder about is your dual applications, to sociology and political science. I'm sure you realize this is extremely unusual, and I wonder how you have dealt with it in terms of letter writers? I'm assuming you have two totally separate sets of letter writers, and I'm assuming that each knows that you are applying in the other discipline? I have to assume this would raise concerns among both sets, with respect to their impression of your commitment to either discipline. I am confident that my letter writers are in part selling my strong commitment to, and total immersion within, political science. For that matter, I know at least two of them wrote specifically about my particular interest in, and aptitude for, my sub-sub discipline. And one of them made me strip my SOP of the word "policy" for several schools, fearing that I would appear oblivious to the tradition of disciplinary boundaries at those schools. If you decide to go another cycle (big IF given your acceptance at BU and maybe other places), I would suggest picking one discipline or the other and having a direct conversation with your letter writers (who will preferably be strictly tenured political science faculty, if you pick polisci) to make sure they are convinced of your devotion to the study of political science and your thorough preparation for rigorous study and research in your chosen subdiscipline. Good luck, and I hope you can chuck my advice right out the window when you either decide on BU or you receive a "yes" from a preferred school!

6 hours ago, Marius G said:

I talked with the grad director yesterday, and he said that one of the sub fields hadn’t finished their selections yet. It sounds like they started to send acceptances this week, but they didn’t all happen on Monday. And that lagging subfield (I don’t know which one it was, but it wasn’t American) could take longer than that.

He also said that they wait on wait list/rejections until later in the process, so it could be a while if you don’t hear anything this week.

3 hours ago, eggsalad14 said:

In at UCLA from midnight where they sent it (PST) : truly the oddest of timing. 

Dude. You're on fire. I'd love to know what's in your application. Congrats!

1 minute ago, mliliu said:

Still no news from Brown. It is driving me crazy!

I feel you. My friend and I are in exactly the same situation. I e-mailed last week, and they told me the results would be out soon. However, it has been a total week, and there is nothing. I am 99% sure that I will get rejected. I just want my closure. 

Just now, TheBunny said:

I feel you. My friend and I are in exactly the same situation. I e-mailed last week, and they told me the results would be out soon. However, it has been a total week, and there is nothing. I am 99% sure that I will get rejected. I just want my closure. 

This is how I feel about Northwestern. It's been THREE WEEKS since they released some (all?) acceptances and a few rejections, and then NOTHING. It's driving me INSANNNEEEE.

15 minutes ago, Onwarrdz said:

This is how I feel about Northwestern. It's been THREE WEEKS since they released some (all?) acceptances and a few rejections, and then NOTHING. It's driving me INSANNNEEEE.

I applied for Northwestern as well. But I heard nothing from them. I am pretty sure that it is a rejection.

12 hours ago, TheBunny said:

I got a generic e-mail to check the portal. Then, I saw the decision letter. I am IR subfield

I wouldn't stress a ton about BC in particular. It's a boutique program. Not many admits, and very heavily theory focused. Even going beyond theory, their second biggest thing is American stuff, which is itself pretty APT heavy. The extent to which they have been branching out into IR with faculty picks may take a while to affect the kinds of students they're taking. If you're a good showing in IR, they may simply not want IR students this run.

1 minute ago, ICanRead said:

I wouldn't stress a ton about BC in particular. It's a boutique program. Not many admits, and very heavily theory focused. Even going beyond theory, their second biggest thing is American stuff, which is itself pretty APT heavy. The extent to which they have been branching out into IR with faculty picks may take a while to affect the kinds of students they're taking. If you're a good showing in IR, they may simply not want IR students this run.

Thank you for the information. I heard that they are very theory focused and one of the top schools for political theory. I am strictly IR, and as a secondary field, I am interested in methods and comparative politics. 

27 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

I haven't seen any Comparative Politics acceptance yet. So maybe there is still hope? fingers crossed!

Just now, TheBunny said:

Thank you for the information. I heard that they are very theory focused and one of the top schools for political theory. I am strictly IR, and as a secondary field, I am interested in methods and comparative politics. 

Yeah, I think this may have simply been a program fit thing. BC takes roughly 5 students a year, and their heavy hitters are all theorists' theorists, like Bartlett. Don't sweat this one too much.

Hey gang. Sitting in the middle of a snowstorm atm plugging away on school stuff and trying unsuccessfully to distract myself from my inbox. I'm reading some of the comments above and it's making my heart full. Everyone here is a smart, capable scholar who will find success no matter the result of this application cycle, and I hope everyone's managing to keep it level, regardless of the # of acceptances. Keep on digging through!

1 minute ago, PBandMachiajelly said:

Hey gang. Sitting in the middle of a snowstorm atm plugging away on school stuff and trying unsuccessfully to distract myself from my inbox. I'm reading some of the comments above and it's making my heart full. Everyone here is a smart, capable scholar who will find success no matter the result of this application cycle, and I hope everyone's managing to keep it level, regardless of the # of acceptances. Keep on digging through!

digging your username! (and I totally read "sitting in the middle of a snow ATM" lol)