2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

23 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Big congrats! May you tell us where else did you get into? I am also an Americanist and I am being waitlisted at a few schools. So I figure I might be the back up plans for you guys in case you guys decline the offers!

I've been admitted at Duke, UNC, Princeton, Berkeley, Stony Brook, MIT, NYU, UCLA

Just now, trinityshot said:

I've been admitted at Duke, UNC, Princeton, Berkeley, Stony Brook, MIT, NYU, UCLA

Congrats! You've got a fantastic problem to have choosing between such elite programs! : ) 

8 minutes ago, trinityshot said:

You are probably one of the most competitive American politics applicants! You will certainly be great regardless of which program you choose to go!

14 minutes ago, schuaust said:

In at Delaware for IR/Theory, so the anxiety of not being in anywhere is alleviated. Still waiting on Washington-Seattle, Hopkins, and Northwestern. 

In the same boat here. Still waiting on Northwestern and UNC which obviously sent out offers already....

14 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

yoooo congrats!

7 minutes ago, PBandMachiajelly said:

That unreal feeling when... ?

Congrats!!

7 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

Congrats!!!!!!

Just now, IcedCovfefe said:

Congrats! Are you also an Americanist or are you in a different subfield?

Thanks, everyone! Comparative.

4 hours ago, eggsalad14 said:

Cool, I just think it's odd that there is like one record on grad cafe of it. It is a small programs though, so I suppose there probably aren't very many admits. 

This seemed odd to me, too, considering in past years at least a few people posted acceptances, and it also seems like these came pretty close to waitlists and rejections. Also, it doesn't seem possible they'd admit an Americanist without it being you! Congrats on all!

13 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

Anyone from Stanford IR yet?

No news yet.  I'm hoping that since they call most people individually and they started late this afternoon, they'll have quite a few people to notify tomorrow still.  At least, that's what I'm hoping.

4 minutes ago, IcedCovfefe said:

No news yet.  I'm hoping that since they call most people individually and they started late this afternoon, they'll have quite a few people to notify tomorrow still.  At least, that's what I'm hoping.

!!! Here's hoping - sending good vibes / good luck your way too!

22 minutes ago, mackeycold said:

To answer queries about Northwestern,

this article may point to some of the chaos: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20180727/ISSUE01/180729898/northwestern-university-cuts-costs-after-ambitious-expansion

As might this: https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/02/03/campus/ratings-agency-identifies-bleaker-financial-outlook-for-northwestern/ This credit downgrade came during the admissions process, so it may have thrown a wrench into stuff and I have heard that it’s playing a role in arts and sciences grad admissions. Does anyone know any grad students out there lol? Hopefully they give people something soon

Interesting, thanks for posting! It does seem (from past discussion in the forum) like Northwestern has done almost precisely the same in the past, including last year. And the department admin as well as the DGS have been completely non-responsive throughout the process, or at least that has been my experience and the experience of some of my classmates (as well as a common complaint in the forum this year and in the past). While it's understandable that competitive schools with limited resources might get overburdened at times, the majority of Northwestern's competitors (and the top 25 in general, not sure about others) do not behave this way. Some might be curt at times, but most are responsive, and many are courteous and even helpful. It's really baffling. 

11 minutes ago, Nickleby said:

Interesting, thanks for posting! It does seem (from past discussion in the forum) like Northwestern has done almost precisely the same in the past, including last year. And the department admin as well as the DGS have been completely non-responsive throughout the process, or at least that has been my experience and the experience of some of my classmates (as well as a common complaint in the forum this year and in the past). While it's understandable that competitive schools with limited resources might get overburdened at times, the majority of Northwestern's competitors (and the top 25 in general, not sure about others) do not behave this way. Some might be curt at times, but most are responsive, and many are courteous and even helpful. It's really baffling. 

To be fair to NU, I think the DGS is still away on fieldwork and has many other administrative responsibilities across other departments.

Just now, e2e4 said:

To be fair to NU, I think the DGS is still away on fieldwork and has many other administrative responsibilities across other departments.

Thanks, it's sometimes hard to remember there are humans behind those acronyms? Actually, I have heard this particular DGS is a great guy, so it's nothing personal. I also think Northwestern has a great program, perhaps operating above rank, but it would be nice if the decision of who will be DGS for the year could take into account field work and volume of other administrative duties, particularly if these are spanning several departments, etc.

12 hours ago, Dwar said:

My bad, you're right. there are 4 IR professors. 

Hi, I'm an Insider passing by. We've got 6 IR professors here at BC (Robert Ross, Jonathan Kirshner, Timothy Crawford, Lindsey O'Rourke, Jennifer Erickson, David Deese, and Peter Krause) Best of luck to you all!

Edited by Biegun

3 hours ago, IcedCovfefe said:

Pretty common reaction to comparative tbh

Anthropology lite

Fake area studies

Plus some poorly run regressions on patchwork large-n datasets

But, hey, we get paid to travel ?

Edited by dvxyzijil