2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

Still waiting on a handful of programs, but just wanted to start seeking second opinions on decisions. So far I've gotten funded offers, one of which I'll likely decline unless they really wow me at the open days (it's pretty low ranked). I'm primarily between CU Boulder and UBC right now (going to make a pro con list tomorrow), but long story short, CU Boulder is an absolutely perfect fit, but UBC is higher ranked on THE rankings. Does anybody know how it compares to US programs / the range it would probably fall into on the US News rankings if it were in the US? 

7 minutes ago, as2472 said:

Still waiting on a handful of programs, but just wanted to start seeking second opinions on decisions. So far I've gotten funded offers, one of which I'll likely decline unless they really wow me at the open days (it's pretty low ranked). I'm primarily between CU Boulder and UBC right now (going to make a pro con list tomorrow), but long story short, CU Boulder is an absolutely perfect fit, but UBC is higher ranked on THE rankings. Does anybody know how it compares to US programs / the range it would probably fall into on the US News rankings if it were in the US? 

Can you say a bit about what you're interested in within political theory? Boulder may be for you, but the political theory program is a bit narrow

Edited by Theory007

41 minutes ago, as2472 said:

I'm not an expert on rankings of Canadian schools (other than knowing McGill/UBC/U Toronto are the holy trinity), but (as someone who is dual Canadian-American) I was thinking of applying to Canadian programs but was warned against doing so by my professors — that is, they told me to think twice about attending a Canadian program if I wanted to stay in the US and work at US schools. From what they told me, it's apparently extremely difficult to get a leg up on TT positions with a Canadian PhD... However, if you want to stay in Canada (and Vancouver is absolutely amazing and beautiful albeit expensive), then that's less of a problem. Something to think about! 

46 minutes ago, as2472 said:

Also, congrats on your admissions!!!

1 hour ago, as2472 said:

Also do you mind sharing which programs you're waiting for?

7 hours ago, as2472 said:

Hi, did you receive admission to UBC as in Vancouver? Can you tell me more about your offer? Congrats

6 hours ago, Theory007 said:

Is Brown just completely off the rails?

It seems like it. But I've been thinking for the last week

On 2/1/2019 at 9:15 PM, Lachouffe said:

It was a collective email

This seems so bizarre to me. Has anyone ever heard of a university sending out a group email of unofficial acceptances before? Wondering if this has anything to do with it.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:08 AM, amyvt98 said:

If you applied to AU's School of Public Affairs, check your portal. I was surprised to see a acceptance letter there this morning (no email, just randomly checked and it was there). 

American or comparative? 

8 hours ago, nietzsche's moustache said:

Actually not. It is more history of political thought. 

Mind sharing what your interests are? Chicago's HPT people seem to mostly be APs, with notable exceptions mostly having to do with Germans. Is that where your interests lie?

12 hours ago, Theory007 said:

Can you say a bit about what you're interested in within political theory? Boulder may be for you, but the political theory program is a bit narrow

11 hours ago, Theory007 said:

Also do you mind sharing which programs you're waiting for?

I'm interested in environmental political theory, particularly as it relates to theories of justice and democratic theory. My work focuses on structural injustice and responsibility through a critical lens and draws heavily on Iris Marion Young and on postcolonial feminist theory. Both UBC and Boulder have folks working on all of those elements, but one of the main people doing the line research I'm emphasizing is at Boulder. Plus, two professors there who are working on Young's theory have reached out to emphasize that they would support my work. But, UBC has more folks on the whole working on critical political theory as far as I can tell. 

I'm technically waiting on Brown and Washington but both are assumed rejections at this point. I'm actually waiting on Johns Hopkins and UPenn. 

12 hours ago, peggy.olson said:

I'm not an expert on rankings of Canadian schools (other than knowing McGill/UBC/U Toronto are the holy trinity), but (as someone who is dual Canadian-American) I was thinking of applying to Canadian programs but was warned against doing so by my professors — that is, they told me to think twice about attending a Canadian program if I wanted to stay in the US and work at US schools. From what they told me, it's apparently extremely difficult to get a leg up on TT positions with a Canadian PhD... However, if you want to stay in Canada (and Vancouver is absolutely amazing and beautiful albeit expensive), then that's less of a problem. Something to think about! 

12 hours ago, peggy.olson said:

Also, congrats on your admissions!!!

Thank you!! That's really good to keep in mind. I actually didn't apply to programs in the UK mostly for the same reason (plus not wanting to apply to funding). I think I will end up in Canada or the UK permanently, but there's something to be said for leaving doors open. 

5 hours ago, PolisciappDZ said:

Hi, did you receive admission to UBC as in Vancouver? Can you tell me more about your offer? Congrats

I did, thank you!! They said they would be providing more information on funding at the beginning of next week. The email was pretty brief, but mentioned that they would be offering a full 5-year fellowship and included the professor who would be my supervisor. 

What are the tips for a phone call with the director of admissions of the program that I am admitted to? Said that the conversation would be about the program, the offer and the visit day. Is there anything that I should avoid or anything that would be positive to say? Any strategies that I need to follow? I am a bit nervous and I do not want to screw up. By the way, what is the worst thing that could happen if I screw up? At the risk of seeming too paranoid, I am curious, can they rescind the offer? Thank you.

Edited by devotee

37 minutes ago, devotee said:

What are the tips for a phone call with the director of admissions of the program that I am admitted to? Said that the conversation would be about the program, the offer and the visit day. Is there anything that I should avoid or anything that would be positive to say? Any strategies that I need to follow? I am a bit nervous and I do not want to screw up. By the way, what is the worst thing that could happen if I screw up? At the risk of seeming too paranoid, I am curious, can they rescind the offer? Thank you.

I had one of these a week or two ago. Basically, it is a chance for them to answer your questions about their department and to try to sell you on picking them out of your acceptances. Best suggestion is to write out your questions ahead of time. This is a great time to ask things about the publication rate of PhD students in their program, the activity level of the department in conferences, if there is any funding for visit days, questions about the city the school is in, ect... Even if you feel like you know everything you need to know to make a decision, ask something. This will indicate to them you have interest in their department. As far as things to avoid, I would avoid any indication of where that school fits in your personal ranking of your applications/acceptances. You wouldn't want to tell them they are your second choice school and then not get an offer (or get a substandard offer) from your top choice and end up going there. Really, there is nothing to be nervous about with it. It is pretty casual and just a way for them to sell their department to you and personally introduce themselves.

5 hours ago, ICanRead said:

Mind sharing what your interests are? Chicago's HPT people seem to mostly be APs, with notable exceptions mostly having to do with Germans. Is that where your interests lie?

There are people who do ancient political thought and early modern thought (McCormick, Tarcov, etc.), and also no need to mention the Committee on Social Thought. Congratulations on your Duke acceptance! Do you plan to attend Duke, if I may ask? 

1 hour ago, Tedmonkey said:

I had one of these a week or two ago. Basically, it is a chance for them to answer your questions about their department and to try to sell you on picking them out of your acceptances. Best suggestion is to write out your questions ahead of time. This is a great time to ask things about the publication rate of PhD students in their program, the activity level of the department in conferences, if there is any funding for visit days, questions about the city the school is in, ect... Even if you feel like you know everything you need to know to make a decision, ask something. This will indicate to them you have interest in their department. As far as things to avoid, I would avoid any indication of where that school fits in your personal ranking of your applications/acceptances. You wouldn't want to tell them they are your second choice school and then not get an offer (or get a substandard offer) from your top choice and end up going there. Really, there is nothing to be nervous about with it. It is pretty casual and just a way for them to sell their department to you and personally introduce themselves.

Yeah, I'll disagree mildly with this and say that you do not need to try to impress them. Don't make up questions if you don't have any. You've already been admitted! Now is your chance to be  a little selfish and let them sell you. I usually just ask whoever I'm talking with about their work, and if I might be able to join their lab should I come to their school.

20 hours ago, wara said:

Haha, that's cool, the application process can be so grueling some times. ? I just know that USC let's you do a customized field, at least for comps (e.g. Human Rights), so I thought maybe you snuck through some inter-sub-disciplinary theory app which would have been amazing.

Anyway....seeing as it's a weekend and all....honestly I'd love to hear if you or anyone has any random thoughts on theory, either via this thread or through PM. Definitely feels under-discussed on this board.

My random theory thought is that we theory folk are a more oppressed group than gamers given how few spots are available at unis plus the job market.

21 hours ago, as2472 said:

Hey! When did you end up getting your UBC reply? Thanks :)

11 minutes ago, sarah_B said:

Hey! When did you end up getting your UBC reply? Thanks :)

This past Friday around 2pm EST :) It was a short email from the DGS connecting me to my prospective supervisor and saying more info would come in the next few days. Nothing changed on their application portal.