2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

As the bizarre trickle of Northwestern rejections continues I'm beginning to feel an odd combination of hope/nihilism. I still haven't heard back, does that make it more or less likely I'm in or on the wait-list? Who knows? Will be emailing them on Monday. 

34 minutes ago, schuaust said:

As the bizarre trickle of Northwestern rejections continues I'm beginning to feel an odd combination of hope/nihilism. I still haven't heard back, does that make it more or less likely I'm in or on the wait-list? Who knows? Will be emailing them on Monday. 

Monday is President's Day. Idk if all universities observe or just some -- it should say on their academic calendar

5 hours ago, nietzsche's moustache said:

There are people who do ancient political thought and early modern thought (McCormick, Tarcov, etc.), and also no need to mention the Committee on Social Thought. Congratulations on your Duke acceptance! Do you plan to attend Duke, if I may ask? 

Is Tarcov still particularly active? I got the impression he's old and on the way out. CST is awesome for great books, no doubt. As for Duke, I am not fully decided. They've offered me the GAANN fellowship, which is a really great funding opportunity, but the program just isn't really the best fit for me, I think. I'm not interested in Germans a la Gillespie, and Grant seems to be less interested in theory these days (though she does still advise). Roussiliere is really close to my interests, but she is very junior, and going there for one person seems risky. Certainly not saying no yet. It's a great school and they're offering me enough to live very comfortably in Durham, but at the moment I'm leaning away.

5 hours ago, as2472 said:

This past Friday around 2pm EST :) It was a short email from the DGS connecting me to my prospective supervisor and saying more info would come in the next few days. Nothing changed on their application portal. 

Congratulations on your acceptance!! That's so great that you got in. Do you know anyone else who applied for the Pol Sci PhD and has heard back?

On 2/15/2019 at 9:40 PM, sandmoon said:

Don't think they did. Good luck!! I've heard mixed things about the department as a whole though... Would love to get more thoughts on where Yale stands among the CHYMPS schools.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:58 PM, PBandMachiajelly said:

From what I've been told Yale does not conduct interviews, but take that with a handful of salt.

I think we will hear from them next week hopefully! Had applied under theory and comparative as subfields at Yale. Only hope now.

3 hours ago, ICanRead said:

Is Tarcov still particularly active? I got the impression he's old and on the way out. CST is awesome for great books, no doubt. As for Duke, I am not fully decided. They've offered me the GAANN fellowship, which is a really great funding opportunity, but the program just isn't really the best fit for me, I think. I'm not interested in Germans a la Gillespie, and Grant seems to be less interested in theory these days (though she does still advise). Roussiliere is really close to my interests, but she is very junior, and going there for one person seems risky. Certainly not saying no yet. It's a great school and they're offering me enough to live very comfortably in Durham, but at the moment I'm leaning away.

Gillespie and his Germans were what I was shooting for. :( Congratulations are in order even if you don't go there!

7 hours ago, schuaust said:

May you update us on here after you hear back from Northwestern please? I am also waiting for the decision.

6 hours ago, sarah_B said:

Congratulations on your acceptance!! That's so great that you got in. Do you know anyone else who applied for the Pol Sci PhD and has heard back?

I don't, sorry! The response on the results page isn't me yet (will add today, so the first one isn't me), but, given that it was weirdly early to hear back from them, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more acceptances trickle out. 

Have any Northwestern Comparative Politics people heard anything?  I know American/Theory have but it doesn't seem that ANY CP Northwestern applicants have heard back? Accept OR reject?

15 minutes ago, taraeh said:

Have any Northwestern Comparative Politics people heard anything?  I know American/Theory have but it doesn't seem that ANY CP Northwestern applicants have heard back? Accept OR reject?

There is a rejection on Februrary 7 on the results page. I have heard nothing also.

In at USC (IR) with full funding, specific details to follow. I expected to be happier or relieved at my first acceptance, but after submitting USC as my first application, I've realized it may not be a great fit for me, and I'm extremely concerned about their placement record. Their visiting "weekend" is Sunday night through a Tuesday, which means I may not be able to make it as I possibly start a new job the week before. I'm local, so  I'm considering sending an email to ask about whether I can come in to speak with some faculty on their own time.  It looks like I will be rejected everywhere else, as I only have Yale, Harvard, and Oxford to hear from. 

This whole process is so bizarre, and I'm ready for it to be over one way or another. I don't want to "sell myself short" by accepting a program that might be the wrong fit or "lower" than I could get if I had some serious time to improve my quant GRE score. On the other hand, the thought of going through this again, spending so much money on application fees, and putting my life off for another year (I graduated from my Master's program in 2017) is terrifying, and it seems presumptuous to assume I could do any "better" that this year's outcome.  

7 hours ago, as2472 said:

I don't, sorry! The response on the results page isn't me yet (will add today, so the first one isn't me), but, given that it was weirdly early to hear back from them, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more acceptances trickle out. 

Can you please tell us your subfield? Congrats again

2 hours ago, rainydaze said:

In at USC (IR) with full funding, specific details to follow. I expected to be happier or relieved at my first acceptance, but after submitting USC as my first application, I've realized it may not be a great fit for me, and I'm extremely concerned about their placement record. Their visiting "weekend" is Sunday night through a Tuesday, which means I may not be able to make it as I possibly start a new job the week before. I'm local, so  I'm considering sending an email to ask about whether I can come in to speak with some faculty on their own time.  It looks like I will be rejected everywhere else, as I only have Yale, Harvard, and Oxford to hear from. 

This whole process is so bizarre, and I'm ready for it to be over one way or another. I don't want to "sell myself short" by accepting a program that might be the wrong fit or "lower" than I could get if I had some serious time to improve my quant GRE score. On the other hand, the thought of going through this again, spending so much money on application fees, and putting my life off for another year (I graduated from my Master's program in 2017) is terrifying, and it seems presumptuous to assume I could do any "better" that this year's outcome.  

Congrats!!!! May I ask if the email came from the POIR program or the IR department?

41 minutes ago, calvinssy said:

Congrats!!!! May I ask if the email came from the POIR program or the IR department?

It came from Benjamin A.T. Graham, director of the doctoral program. It wasn't very personalized, but did have my name. I thought it was very weird that it came through on a Sunday during a holiday weekend! 

7 minutes ago, rainydaze said:

It came from Benjamin A.T. Graham, director of the doctoral program. It wasn't very personalized, but did have my name. I thought it was very weird that it came through on a Sunday during a holiday weekend! 

Thanks! Yeah, it is weird to release the decisions on Sunday. I applied for the American Politics subfield. Not sure whether the results for AP have been released as well... Fingers crossed!!!

Edited by calvinssy

On 2/16/2019 at 8:18 AM, as2472 said:

I'm interested in environmental political theory, particularly as it relates to theories of justice and democratic theory. My work focuses on structural injustice and responsibility through a critical lens and draws heavily on Iris Marion Young and on postcolonial feminist theory. Both UBC and Boulder have folks working on all of those elements, but one of the main people doing the line research I'm emphasizing is at Boulder. Plus, two professors there who are working on Young's theory have reached out to emphasize that they would support my work. But, UBC has more folks on the whole working on critical political theory as far as I can tell. 

I'm technically waiting on Brown and Washington but both are assumed rejections at this point. I'm actually waiting on Johns Hopkins and UPenn. 

My honest feeling is that you would be better off going to UBC over Boulder. I do see that your interests seem to be very well aligned with the two theorists at Boulder, but the PT program there is very small and the political science program itself is not great. A degree from UBC will also open a career trajectory for you that simply would not be available to you after Boulder, and I think I read that you saw yourself living in Canada in the future, which seems to be another reason to go to UBC. If you were to choose according to your interests, it seems to me that Washington and John Hopkins would be good options for you, but I'm not sure if Brown or UPenn align with your interests well. At least Brown has a more analytic political theory track, and even if you would be able to find someone who would be willing to engage in a more critical approach I do not think your work would fit well with the political theory program overall. For full disclosure, I applied to Brown theory myself this year and have not heard from them either.

I would keep in mind that representatives of lower ranked/weaker programs are more likely to reach out to you trying to convince you to come there - especially if you are an overqualified candidate. If you go to visit Boulder make sure you speak to several first year theorists about their experience. And if you do end up going to Boulder make sure you at least negotiate a competitive stipend based upon your other offers. If I was in your shoes I would definitely keep my fingers crossed for Washington and John Hopkins. I get the feeling that UCLA would have been a good option for your interests too, but I take it you did not apply there. These are just my views, and I do not actually know much about the theory program at UBC although I do know the department overall is excellent.

3 hours ago, rainydaze said:

My off-the-cuff reaction is that you should call in sick to your new job on that Monday so you can attend at least the first full day of the event. You might feel very differently about the school and the department after experiencing it firsthand, and this is a decision that will affect at least the next 7 years of your life (in contrast, you might work at this new job for 6 months before starting that 7 year project). If you still feel "off" about it after visiting, follow your gut. But don't make the decision just based off of internet research if you're accepted already and it's your only admission. My opinion.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:18 AM, as2472 said:

I'm interested in environmental political theory, particularly as it relates to theories of justice and democratic theory. My work focuses on structural injustice and responsibility through a critical lens and draws heavily on Iris Marion Young and on postcolonial feminist theory. Both UBC and Boulder have folks working on all of those elements, but one of the main people doing the line research I'm emphasizing is at Boulder. Plus, two professors there who are working on Young's theory have reached out to emphasize that they would support my work. But, UBC has more folks on the whole working on critical political theory as far as I can tell. 

I'm technically waiting on Brown and Washington but both are assumed rejections at this point. I'm actually waiting on Johns Hopkins and UPenn. 

Thank you!! That's really good to keep in mind. I actually didn't apply to programs in the UK mostly for the same reason (plus not wanting to apply to funding). I think I will end up in Canada or the UK permanently, but there's something to be said for leaving doors open. 

I did, thank you!! They said they would be providing more information on funding at the beginning of next week. The email was pretty brief, but mentioned that they would be offering a full 5-year fellowship and included the professor who would be my supervisor. 

I started a new topic on called 'Political Theory Applications 2019', but dunno if it is useful at all to have a topic for theorists exclusively.

5 hours ago, rainydaze said:

I scrolled back through your posts, and while I’m the blind leading the blind here, I think your quant score may be below the first round cutoff for many schools.

If you’re hesitant about the program, don’t do it. If your dream is to be in academia, a low-ranked program makes that difficult to achieve. Your application otherwise seems stellar. 

I think you may be the classic case of someone who by waiting another cycle will get significantly better results. Don’t feel like you “aimed too high” or whatever by applying to top schools this round, because I don’t see any reason you wouldn’t qualify. I feel like you’re a victim of the crapshoot. 

On the other hand, if you decide to go into policy or industry, I think you’ll do great with your Cambridge MA and end up sitting pretty with no regrets while all of us here are still on starvation wages.

You probably already know all of this, but I just want to stand in solidarity with you. I can imagine how rough it would be not getting in this cycle (I also have a serious weakness in my app and was preparing for that outcome). But it looks like GRE quant score was the main thing holding you back, and we all know that’s a function of test prep and your knack for standardized testing. It says nothing about who you are and what you’ll accomplish in whatever your dream career is.

Edited by dvxyzijil

2 hours ago, americanist_methods said:

Anyone know what programs are (potentially) coming out this week? 

Also what's the deal with NYU? Saw that some acceptances *and* rejections have come out. Is this another Northwestern situation (dribble of rejections) or just they are doing a couple of rounds?

I only see one NYU reject. I'm assuming that some decent POI conveyed the information upon request but that no official rejections are out yet. They'll probably all come out on the same day (first week of March last year, mid February the year before)

4 hours ago, americanist_methods said:

Anyone know what programs are (potentially) coming out this week? 

Also what's the deal with NYU? Saw that some acceptances *and* rejections have come out. Is this another Northwestern situation (dribble of rejections) or just they are doing a couple of rounds?

I would assume all acceptances are out at this point. Their reply date for the visiting day is fast approaching. It'd be odd to send out acceptances now.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:30 PM, ICanRead said:

I agree with you. As far as I know, Ruth Grant is about to retire and the rest of the faculty is simply not that impressive, especially if you are doing American political theory.