2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

On 2/16/2019 at 7:30 PM, ICanRead said:

Is Tarcov still particularly active? I got the impression he's old and on the way out. CST is awesome for great books, no doubt. As for Duke, I am not fully decided. They've offered me the GAANN fellowship, which is a really great funding opportunity, but the program just isn't really the best fit for me, I think. I'm not interested in Germans a la Gillespie, and Grant seems to be less interested in theory these days (though she does still advise). Roussiliere is really close to my interests, but she is very junior, and going there for one person seems risky. Certainly not saying no yet. It's a great school and they're offering me enough to live very comfortably in Durham, but at the moment I'm leaning away.

I agree as well

2 hours ago, cpayc2003 said:

Why do NYU and Cornell take so long sending out rejections... :(

I mean, Cornell just sent out acceptances on Thursday, so it hasn't been that long. Also, not to provide false hope, but waitlists are real. It's not a rejection until it shows up in your inbox.

is it a good thing that my POI at yale said that my project was a perfect fit with what they are doing in the department now and then asking me to speak with a few of the students whose contact he mailed me back and asked to get a sense of the programme. And then ending with a line encouraging me to apply in certain fields. 

I am wondering if this is generic or has any value!

1 minute ago, PBandMachiajelly said:

I mean, Cornell just sent out acceptances on Thursday, so it hasn't been that long. Also, not to provide false hope, but waitlists are real. It's not a rejection until it shows up in your inbox.

is it true for Harvard too :P ? I haven't got a rejection but one of the students who got selected said all the admits have gone and i shouldn't hope now.

Just now, DuBois said:

is it true for Harvard too :P ? I haven't got a rejection but one of the students who got selected said all the admits have gone and i shouldn't hope now. 

Two things. (1) take everything you read on this forum with a grain of salt. As far as I'm aware, nobody here is on an ad com, and even if they were, they probably wouldn't break confidentiality on an internet forum. (2) Hope is a weird thing. Too much of it and you'll be destroyed when the rejection comes; not enough and you lose confidence and stop believing that you can do the things you want to do. Personally, I'm bracing for rejections, but there's no point in calling it quits until you're actually rejected. There's a big difference between being realistic and being defeatist. So who knows! There are posts on the results page of people being accepted to Cornell off the waitlist in mid April. It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.

39 minutes ago, DuBois said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Harvard is out at all yet. I haven't seen anything about it in this thread, there's nothing on the results site, and this would be considerably earlier than Harvard's come out in previous years. Not to say that the person you've heard from hasn't been selected- POIs sometimes reach out to some admitted students way in advance of anything coming out.

ETA: I think Sandmoon's correct below that Kennedy School came out last week. I was talking about Gov above.

Edited by upsy

10 hours ago, nietzsche's moustache said:

I agree with you. As far as I know, Ruth Grant is about to retire and the rest of the faculty is simply not that impressive, especially if you are doing American political theory. 

I'm not particularly an Americans guy, even though I've done a little work with them. More like Ancients/Early moderns. I will add, though, that while I am not much into Germans, Gillespie is nobody to sneeze at.

How can we get people to stop posting forum comments on the survey? There are sometimes 3 "results" that are just communications in between actual results the survey was meant for. It's making it harder for posterity to understand the results

Just now, trinityshot said:

How can we get people to stop posting forum comments on the survey? There are sometimes 3 "results" that are just communications in between actual results the survey was meant for. It's making it harder for posterity to understand the results

I tried to post on there asking for people to stop, but my computer wouldn't let me for some reason. Also tbf that would have been adding to the noise. But seriously, it's really fucking annoying. 

Question! I got an email from a program that I'm accepted to. It's from a professor (whom I didn't name in my statement). The content of the email is boilerplate ("please feel free to ask any questions") but it does have my name on it.

If I don't have any questions that I'm comfortable asking over email, should I ignore the email and move on? I feel it's kinda rude but it would also be rude to say "no questions" right?

19 minutes ago, sandmoon said:

Question! I got an email from a program that I'm accepted to. It's from a professor (whom I didn't name in my statement). The content of the email is boilerplate ("please feel free to ask any questions") but it does have my name on it.

If I don't have any questions that I'm comfortable asking over email, should I ignore the email and move on? I feel it's kinda rude but it would also be rude to say "no questions" right?

Totally unsure of actual etiquette here, but I've been getting similar emails and have also been ignoring them (in the sense of not replying) if it makes you feel better lol. I figure I will be able to meet the profs and chat in person during the visit day anyway!

21 minutes ago, sandmoon said:

I don’t have an answer for you but it’s comforting that others share my dilemma.  I ignored one and feel okay about it. 

On 2/7/2019 at 6:40 PM, wara said:

Are UCSD acceptances all out now? Anyone willing to claim a UCSD theory admit (only sub-field I don't see represented...)?

Heartfelt congratulations to everyone who received acceptances today! UNC, UCSD, Minnesota, UMass-Amherst....these are all fantastic schools and departments where anyone should feel really proud to attend.

I'm a UCSD theory admit. Any others? Based on online student data, it seems they only have 0-2 theory students per year.

And for any other UCSD admits, feel free to message me!

Just how important do you guys think interviews are?

I had a great interview last week during which the interviewer said I was a great fit for the program and he would strongly support my admission. He mentioned the faculty there also had positive feelings about my application.

In my country, if they say something like that during an interview it means they really want you there and they're just waiting to see the process through. But I don't know how much that means in an American application process.

Edited by Gbrog

17 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

Totally unsure of actual etiquette here, but I've been getting similar emails and have also been ignoring them (in the sense of not replying) if it makes you feel better lol. I figure I will be able to meet the profs and chat in person during the visit day anyway!

Thank you! Just got another one as we speak -- will just ignore and move on haha.

7 hours ago, DuBois said:

Anyone feeling that we'll hear from  Yale today ? :) 

I really doubt it. Monday news always kinda confuses me (little chance they hadn't made decisions by Friday, so why not send it out earlier and be done with). There's of course a chance they will but Yale is all over the place in the past. Their usually releasing results at the earliest around now but have released at the end of February before. 

48 minutes ago, No7pasaran! said:

I'm a UCSD theory admit. Any others? Based on online student data, it seems they only have 0-2 theory students per year.

And for any other UCSD admits, feel free to message me!

Ya, I'm relatively certain they've sent out all the acceptances and we're now just waiting for the official letters from the grad school. Have you heard from POIs or anything? Radio silent on my end, which is a big contrast with other schools that all have lots of emails out. I'm just unsure who would be my advisor and having someone email me would at least tell me who the program has allocated preliminarily. 

1 hour ago, IcedCovfefe said:

I don’t have an answer for you but it’s comforting that others share my dilemma.  I ignored one and feel okay about it. 

I'd definitely not ignore emails. It's unprofessional. Obviously, it happens and most people probably wouldn't notice, but sending a short reply within roughly 24 hours is what's expected. The emails usually contain a congratulations and a message welcoming you to the department. You can reply with your thanks to their message, your positive feelings about being accepted, and your interest in learning more about the program through communications from the department in the coming weeks, even if you don't have specific questions at the moment.

4 minutes ago, mackeycold said:

Does anyone know what to expect of a waitlist, the timeframe for it, or how to handle it? Do visits still happen in that event? Just got an unexpected waitlist. 

Congrats! From where?

1 minute ago, Theory007 said:

Congrats! From where?

Virginia. I was initially informed of rejection, but apparently that was in error. I got in at Wisconsin, which is a terrific program, and I'm looking forward to the visit, but UVA also looks great for me, with awesome folks like Milkis, Ceasar, Sabato, etc. and a qualitative/historical focus, but the timeframe is putting a strain on it. Thanks! 

Just now, mackeycold said:

Virginia. I was initially informed of rejection, but apparently that was in error. I got in at Wisconsin, which is a terrific program, and I'm looking forward to the visit, but UVA also looks great for me, with awesome folks like Milkis, Ceasar, Sabato, etc. and a qualitative/historical focus, but the timeframe is putting a strain on it. Thanks! 

Yeah UVA also has David Waldner who is an outstanding qualitative researcher.