2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

10 minutes ago, quesadilla said:

UT Austin and Notre Dame. The main benefit for me would be acquiring language skills since it’s to teach English and not research.

Were you studying latin america? I guess the question is whether fluency and the prestige of the fulbright would be enough to help you get into a program you prefer, which is a question well beyond my pay grade. It might help and if you want the experience anyway, it might be worth it. Might chat to your professors?

8 hours ago, morri081 said:

which school did you get in to? my intended research is going along the lines of "women"/gender/sexuality as well 

I got in to University of Kentucky and Arizona State University. I also withdrew my application from the University of Cincinnati, but I was told they were about to send me an acceptance with funding that day. CUNY will probably get results out next week, based on a comment on the survey. I already turned down UK in favor of either ASU or CUNY (if CUNY accepts I get to decide between those two). Likely I will go to ASU (ranked 51), however, I'm not making a final decision until I hear from CUNY (ranked 65) and visit schools. I was financially limited in the number of programs I could apply to and didn't apply to as many upper ranked programs as I probably should have. UCLA, NYU, Columbia, Harvard, UC Berkley, and more all have faculty doing WGS related research in poli sci. Fit of each school would depend on what subfield you are in and whether you do quantitative or qualitative work (I'm comparative and quantitative). With this research area, and other esoteric ones as well, the best way to find schools to look at is to look at what schools have people presenting the type of work you want to do at conferences and getting it published. Feel free to DM me and I can talk more about what schools have people in this area and/or research topics or whatever.

42 minutes ago, Theoryboi said:

Any idea if Hopkins Theory has come out folks?

I got my acceptance today! Deciding between Hopkins and Brown (any thoughts?). I'm waiting on Harvard and Chicago (unnoficial rejection, I'm assuming) still, but those seem to be looooong shots.

12 minutes ago, Lachouffe said:

I got my acceptance today! Deciding between Hopkins and Brown (any thoughts?). I'm waiting on Harvard and Chicago (unnoficial rejection, I'm assuming) still, but those seem to be looooong shots.

Brown is super extra good at theory

40 minutes ago, Lachouffe said:

Well, I think Brown is a little higher in the rankings and has the benefit of being among the Ivys (for prestige purposes), but really the difference is probably in subjective things like personal fit and POI fit. I am guessing no notification for me signals an implied rejection (also in the same boat with you for UChicago). 

1 hour ago, Lachouffe said:

If you are continentally oriented then Hopkins for sure, if you're analytically oriented then Brown for sure.

2 minutes ago, taraeh said:

Congrats!!! Were you CP? Did it update on the website? AHH! anxious :)

Thank you!! Yes, CP. I think the admin person is sending out the emails individually, so maybe yours will arrive shortly!!

No update on the website. It still says "submitted".

I'm very surprised I got in though. I struggled to write the "fit" paragraphs in my personal statement, and their application was due earlier than the other schools. There must have been a million typos in the statement.

Just now, sandmoon said:

Thank you!! Yes, CP. I think the admin person is sending out the emails individually, so maybe yours will arrive shortly!!

No update on the website. It still says "submitted".

I'm very surprised I got in though. I struggled to write the "fit" paragraphs in my personal statement, and their application was due earlier than the other schools. There must have been a million typos in the statement.

I am currently sitting outside there office (I am in MIA here) - tempted to just walk in and ask :)  Yes - early application was hard but I have two solid recs from the dept so I am hopeful (although extremely non-traditional).  CONGRATS again!

4 minutes ago, taraeh said:

I am currently sitting outside there office (I am in MIA here) - tempted to just walk in and ask :)  Yes - early application was hard but I have two solid recs from the dept so I am hopeful (although extremely non-traditional).  CONGRATS again!

Hope you get the good news soon! It must be nerve-wrecking being that close to the actual place where decisions are made/sent. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! Hope to see you on visit day!

I'm assuming if we haven't heard from Columbia it's a rejection? One of the entries on the survey page says it was a generic email, so it makes me think they sent them all out at once, and aren't like, going slowly through the alphabet/by subject. Oh well! 

1 minute ago, Onwarrdz said:

I'm assuming if we haven't heard from Columbia it's a rejection? One of the entries on the survey page says it was a generic email, so it makes me think they sent them all out at once, and aren't like, going slowly through the alphabet/by subject. Oh well! 

I am going to pop my head in the admissions office in a bit and ask. Will let you know!

3 minutes ago, Onwarrdz said:

I had the same thought but It seems like all the acceptances are comparative/methods, so now I am not sure if they are sending it out by field. 

Does anyone know if Columbia usually sends out acceptances on the same day? 

8 minutes ago, Onwarrdz said:

I'm not the one on the results page, so idk what's happening there. The email I got has me as a recipient and the DGS cc'ed. I would guess that the emails are still being sent out alphabetically or by subfield. DON'T LOSE HOPE!! No news = you're still in play!