2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

1 hour ago, IR1995 said:

I think there's a good chance it's just a troll. Two of them say via email, one says via website - that seems weird to me. Who knows.. I have not yet received an email and my application portal still just says submitted. 

I just got my rejection letter from the website (northwestern) , no email. Good luck to the others.

Haven't gotten accepted or rejected at Northwestern so we will see what that means, likely I'll find out about nine months from now, lol

Edited by schuaust

Looking towards next week, it seems like it should be a busy week from last year's data. (I really hope so because I am A N X I O U S)

Relative to last year, the following schools were expected to have already released decisions:

Emory, Penn State, the rest of Northwestern (if there's anything left?)

Note: Northwestern has historically sent rejections and some waitlists a lot later than acceptances, so we might not hear more for a while. 

Relative to last year, the following schools are expected to release decisions by next Friday:

Duke, Berkeley, UC Davis, Princeton, NYU, UCSD

4 hours ago, mliliu said:

Same here. But I sent an email to the admission office. So let's see what they say. But from last year's posts, I feel like later notifications tend to be rejections.

Thanks for sending them an email! I also haven't heard anything and it's killing me every time I refresh my email.

20 hours ago, vicrown said:

What subfield did you apply to? Did you get an email or just happened to check the website?  I am comparative politics - have heard nothing. 

20 hours ago, vicrown said:

rjt.PNG

What 

Can the people from northwestern tell me what subfields they were in an if they got accepted or not?  It seems like CP field hasn't gone out yet... Their website says they stagger admissions so I am not surprise it isn't all out and still very hopeful.

Edited by taraeh

Guys just also note that historically for northwestern, a denial usually comes along with a month or so of silence after acceptances are made. I don't know which subfield decisions are out by now, but the longer it goes on, the higher the likelihood that their non-response means rejection. 

Maybe I’m wrong, but it looks like so far only one batch of acceptances has gone out from Northwestern. This is not, at least from what I’ve seen, how they did it last year. Also, surely there would be more acceptances listed on the results page if all had been sent out. There are almost certainly acceptances left to be released, and I would not worry until after at least one more round of acceptances comes out. 

9 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

It seems from the survey page that acceptances have gone out to all subfields (American, theory, IR, and CP)

11 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

It seems from the survey page that acceptances have gone out to all subfields (American, theory, IR, and CP)

Maybe they’re doing it differently this year, who knows 

1 hour ago, IR1995 said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but it looks like so far only one batch of acceptances has gone out from Northwestern. This is not, at least from what I’ve seen, how they did it last year. Also, surely there would be more acceptances listed on the results page if all had been sent out. There are almost certainly acceptances left to be released, and I would not worry until after at least one more round of acceptances comes out. 

I mean, I'm riding off of pretty poor methodology here, but if I had to bet money, it would be that there are very few if any left. Here's my thought process. 

Ohio State, the other "top" school that has released decisions, has 10 acceptances this year, last year there were 12. It is known that Ohio State's admits are all out. Assuming static amounts of people accepted into the program, we can conclude that gradcafe is probably slightly less popular than it was last year. 

The results page from last year has a count of 9 acceptances for Northwestern, and this year there are 5. Assuming that nothing has really changed (ie one school this year decided to become a lot more or less selective), the expected amount of acceptances on the results page is 7.5, which means it's very very plausible that there's little if anything left. 

[edit: I had counted wrong and there are actually five this year and 9 last year, although that doesn't change the conclusions too much when we add more data. On my really rushed count, we have 6 in 2017, 8 in 2016, 6 in 2015, 7 in 2014, 10 in 2013, 5 in 2012. The substantive conclusion still is that it is very very unlikely that we'll see another full wave of acceptances.]

Edited by eggsalad14

3 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

I mean, I'm riding off of pretty poor methodology here, but if I had to bet money, it would be that there are very few if any left. Here's my thought process. 

Ohio State, the other "top" school that has released decisions, has 10 acceptances this year, last year there were 12. It is known that Ohio State's admits are all out. Assuming static amounts of people accepted into the program, we can conclude that gradcafe is probably slightly less popular than it was last year. 

The results page from last year has a count of 8 acceptances for Northwestern, and this year there are 6. Assuming that nothing has really changed (ie one school this year decided to become a lot more or less selective), the expected amount of acceptances on the results page is 6.67, which means it's very very plausible that there's little if anything left. 

Look out we’ve got a social scientist here

You’re all probably right. From what I just looked at Northwestern had 9 acceptances via gradcafe last year and only has 5 this year. Hopefully there are still a few more 

Edited by IR1995

1 hour ago, eggsalad14 said:

The results page from last year has a count of 8 acceptances for Northwestern, and this year there are 6. Assuming that nothing has really changed (ie one school this year decided to become a lot more or less selective), the expected amount of acceptances on the results page is 6.67, which means it's very very plausible that there's little if anything left. 

This is my thinking as well. Just want to note there's only 5 acceptances for 2019 on the results page though ;)

2 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

This is my thinking as well. Just want to note there's only 5 acceptances for 2019 on the results page though ;)

You're right, I saw those 6 bunched together and didn't realize that the last one was actually a really late report from 2018. I'll edit accordingly.