Jump to content

2018-2019 Application Thread


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, 90BS said:

Anyone there still waiting to hear from UC Berkeley? I see that many have posted their rejections and acceptances. Still waiting to hear about mine (for CP)..

I would be cautiously optimistic that you are on some kind of soft wait list. Or at least made it past the first cut. They sent out a ton of rejections (including one for me) a few days ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was rejected by Princeton, Berkeley, Duke, and Wisconsin-Madison. My first acceptance came today, and all I can say is that the process is extremely arbitrary provided that you meet the minimum requ

As a general statement Re: withdrawing from schools, I don't think it's fair to be pressuring others into doing so because of "others on the waitlist." People don't have a responsibility to those on t

My first post here. I had been following what people were saying, and attempting to shore up my deflated morale. Applied to Princeton, Harvard, Brown, UPenn, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Michigan Ann Arbor, UV

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Kiki2706 said:

For Northwestern, the last update I had (at least for American politics) is that no final decisions had been made as of January 24th- and the university has been closed. As fo the recent decisions people have posted, they may now be considering waitlist . Or, the university is just closed and the decisions, whether accepted or denied are delayed. 

Interesting - I thought I saw an American acceptance on the 23rd. Here's hoping they'll come out soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Lol I feel like this is really getting ahead of ourselves. There's a thread awhile back that has some old visit dates, and I'd be surprised if they deviated much from previous years. Top schools will try hard to not make theirs intersect. 

As I said in my post, I already have a conflict between two schools I've been admitted to, so for me, it very much doesn't seem to be getting ahead of myself. With current admissions alone, I'm likely to be making 3 trips with 5+ hour flights each way. It's no small commitment. Schools have limited reimbursement budgets and encourage us to book flights early, which is difficult to do when so much is still up in the air. I'd also hate to schedule a trip and then have a school fall lower in my preferences based off of future admissions. I'd still be pretty much obligated to go (some schools won't reimburse you if you don't attend), but it would be a waste of the school's money and of their faculty's time in speaking with me, which I would feel poorly about, and a waste of my time to boot.

In any case, if I find much in old threads, I'll share it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, upsy said:

As I said in my post, I already have a conflict between two schools I've been admitted to, so for me, it very much doesn't seem to be getting ahead of myself. With current admissions alone, I'm likely to be making 3 trips with 5+ hour flights each way. It's no small commitment. Schools have limited reimbursement budgets and encourage us to book flights early, which is difficult to do when so much is still up in the air. I'd also hate to schedule a trip and then have a school fall lower in my preferences based off of future admissions. I'd still be pretty much obligated to go (some schools won't reimburse you if you don't attend), but it would be a waste of the school's money and of their faculty's time in speaking with me, which I would feel poorly about, and a waste of my time to boot.

In any case, if I find much in old threads, I'll share it.

Sorry I realized I sounded more hostile than I meant to be. 

My big point is really that if you wait a bit, you'll have a lot more info about where you've gotten into, and which schools you're really considering. Ticket prices don't jump too much until maybe 2-3 weeks before the flight, so you'll be okay if you don't have 12 contingency plans right this moment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Marius G said:

Does anyone know when I should expect to hear back from Gtown, UMD, UPenn? Are they usually in February or March?

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Maryland is probably around mid-February, based on previous years. If I remember correctly, Georgetown should be around the same timeframe (could be a bit earlier or later- I haven’t looked at it in a while). You can check the results page for previous years at your schools to find more info. Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Sorry I realized I sounded more hostile than I meant to be. 

My big point is really that if you wait a bit, you'll have a lot more info about where you've gotten into, and which schools you're really considering. Ticket prices don't jump too much until maybe 2-3 weeks before the flight, so you'll be okay if you don't have 12 contingency plans right this moment. 

I guess I'll have no choice other than to wait a bit, there was very little information on visit dates in the other thread. The earliest visits are still a good month away. Schools also seem to be fairly willing to schedule alternate dates, so I guess I'll try to rely on that if I end up with more conflicts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, upsy said:

I guess I'll have no choice other than to wait a bit, there was very little information on visit dates in the other thread. The earliest visits are still a good month away. Schools also seem to be fairly willing to schedule alternate dates, so I guess I'll try to rely on that if I end up with more conflicts.

I thought there was a good thread that I found a while back. When I'm home I can try to find it for you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StormingTheCastle said:

I still haven't heard from Northwestern, Virginia, Pittsburgh, and CU Boulder. It isn't anxiety-inducing at all. ?

Virginia should have a second round of decisions coming out today. If you’re really feeling anxious you can always call their office and ask, some people on here have found success with that. 

I haven’t called myself, waiting until like 5 or 5:30 to do that 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ijustwantin said:

Anymore news from Colorado Boulder?

I heard back around 4:30 EST. The portal still said submitted but there was a separate link to click and see the decision page. It looks like another person did as well so I guess they aren't all coming out at once this year

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.