Jump to content

2018-2019 Application Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was rejected by Princeton, Berkeley, Duke, and Wisconsin-Madison. My first acceptance came today, and all I can say is that the process is extremely arbitrary provided that you meet the minimum requ

As a general statement Re: withdrawing from schools, I don't think it's fair to be pressuring others into doing so because of "others on the waitlist." People don't have a responsibility to those on t

My first post here. I had been following what people were saying, and attempting to shore up my deflated morale. Applied to Princeton, Harvard, Brown, UPenn, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Michigan Ann Arbor, UV

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, trinityshot said:

UNC is me. I got a call, I'm not sure if the rest are coming out today or not. I've been to a couple of the POI's talks on my campus, and he said they like to give the news in "person" to people they know.

Good to know. Congrats! 

 

Also were you the call and email both? I saw there's one of each. 

Edited by eggsalad14
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

OK not to beat a dead horse but omg I am honestly amazed @ Northwestern.. If they do the same thing as previous years where they just drag out the rejections for the entire month of February I'm going to... scream

I just called Northwestern... no answer. Will try again in a bit.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, taraeh said:

Ok just got off the phone with Northwestern Admissions- they were vague but happy to answer my question. "We hope to have all of our accepts/rejects out in the next 1-2 weeks."  I got no indication or feeling that all of the accepts had gone out.

Thank you so much for doing that and for letting us know !!! That's somewhat good to hear (but also lol @ the vagueness).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, IR1221 said:

Losing hope we are going to hear from Duke today 

Yeah, at this point it's even getting late in the west coast. We probably won't hear from anyone until Monday unless it's just one of those automatic portal refreshes. You bet if I were a political science administrative person you bet at 3pm I'm gonna just save the emails for Monday instead of trying to cram them all in within the next 2 hours. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone willing to claim the Notre Dame admit? / Shed any info relevant to sub-field, interview process, etc.?

 

2 hours ago, taraeh said:

Ok just got off the phone with Northwestern Admissions- they were vague but happy to answer my question. "We hope to have all of our accepts/rejects out in the next 1-2 weeks."  I got no indication or feeling that all of the accepts had gone out

Wow, fantastic job with that! I really thought NW had sent out all their acceptance letters.

Edited by wara
pleonasm
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lachouffe said:

I found out about this website a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to send good vibes to y'all!

I just got into Brown (theory)! It seems 4 of us got an offer. Northwestern rejected me earlier this week and there's only been radio silence from UVA, so stoked about Brown.

Where did you see the Brown result? I applied to IR track of Brown and did not hear anything back

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lachouffe said:

Informal email, said that they were sending the official offer in a couple of days. It seemed to me that their selection processes were fairly separate between each subfield so that's probably why

Oh, okay. Thank you. I had a small heart attack. Congratulations, Brown is a great school for theory! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lachouffe said:

I found out about this website a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to send good vibes to y'all!

I just got into Brown (theory)! It seems 4 of us got an offer. Northwestern rejected me earlier this week and there's only been radio silence from UVA, so stoked about Brown.

Did all 4 who got offers receive emails today, or were you just one of them that they knew would be taking those 4 slots and other may be announced next week? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone claim Brown University acceptance into IR track? It says that they got accepted over e-mail. I checked the application page and it only says submitted. Is it safe to assume rejection?

Edited by TheBunny
Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of psychopath spends Friday night reading through the February 1st and 2nd entries in the applicant thread from last year's cycle? This one! It's actually strangely gratifying. If you have the time, it's maybe even more fun to look back several years at the late February posts, because back then many/most applicants would list the schools where they were, and were not, admitted (some still do this, but the practice seems to have died down). There's something strangely encouraging about seeing the whacky mix of acceptances and rejections that many people received. Enjoy! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an international applicant and I would like to know how reliable this forum is? I see many people debating around topics related to PhD admissions and would like to know if the people doing so are just here to ease their stress and insecurities or should I use this as a reliable source of information? My question is very straightforward, I hope not to offend anyone. What behavior should I look for being misleading? Also is there a history of people wrongfully claiming acceptances? Thank you for taking the time to answer me! Also quick question what does (1a/2r/1w/2p) mean, I see it very often with different numbers. And lastly can someone explain to me what POI is, person of importance i'm guessing but not sure? Thank you very much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PolisciappDZ said:

I am an international applicant and I would like to know how reliable this forum is? I see many people debating around topics related to PhD admissions and would like to know if the people doing so are just here to ease their stress and insecurities or should I use this as a reliable source of information? My question is very straightforward, I hope not to offend anyone. What behavior should I look for being misleading? Also is there a history of people wrongfully claiming acceptances? Thank you for taking the time to answer me! Also quick question what does (1a/2r/1w/2p) mean, I see it very often with different numbers. And lastly can someone explain to me what POI is, person of importance i'm guessing but not sure? Thank you very much.

Just to answer the last two questions quickly - (a/r/w/p) is counting how many acceptances, rejections, waitlists, and pending applications you have at the moment. POI is professor of interest - so someone you may have mentioned in your statement of purpose as someone you would like to work with!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.