Jump to content
Leo9

2018-2019 Application Thread

Recommended Posts

Woke up to an acceptance email from UNC this morning and am still in complete shock.  I applied just because, and honestly never expected to get in, especially after being rejected from Arizona two weeks ago on what I imagine was the first round of cuts.  Still waiting on Texas, Vandy, UC Davis, and Minnesota but I don't think I can pass up UNC.

I'll be American with a focus on behavior/psychology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, trinityshot said:

Seems like those UNC admits may start coming out in earnest now

I can confirm this, at least for American. Very personalized email (at least for me) so it may take some time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FL407 said:

Woke up to an acceptance email from UNC this morning and am still in complete shock.  I applied just because, and honestly never expected to get in, especially after being rejected from Arizona two weeks ago on what I imagine was the first round of cuts.  Still waiting on Texas, Vandy, UC Davis, and Minnesota but I don't think I can pass up UNC.

I'll be American with a focus on behavior/psychology.

Congrats! The admissions process is weird and illogical at times but I'm sure UNC has a reason that they want you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FL407 said:

Woke up to an acceptance email from UNC this morning and am still in complete shock.  I applied just because, and honestly never expected to get in, especially after being rejected from Arizona two weeks ago on what I imagine was the first round of cuts.  Still waiting on Texas, Vandy, UC Davis, and Minnesota but I don't think I can pass up UNC.

I'll be American with a focus on behavior/psychology.

UNC is a fantastic department and Chapel Hill is super pretty. They've got great people there, it's an awesome choice. Congrats to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want something from Northwestern, lol. There and Berkeley are the only schools I've applied to that have released any decisions. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted thus far! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, schuaust said:

I just want something from Northwestern, lol. There and Berkeley are the only schools I've applied to that have released any decisions. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted thus far! 

Same lol. Though I have a feeling (from what the admissions office said, etc) that there are few (if any) spots left and it's going to be a while before they make any definitive decisions.. Can't wait to get an email in March lmao. It's definitely nice though to see all these acceptances rolling in here though :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, FL407 said:

Woke up to an acceptance email from UNC this morning and am still in complete shock.  I applied just because, and honestly never expected to get in, especially after being rejected from Arizona two weeks ago on what I imagine was the first round of cuts.  Still waiting on Texas, Vandy, UC Davis, and Minnesota but I don't think I can pass up UNC.

I'll be American with a focus on behavior/psychology.

Congratulations - wonderful news! You've gotten into a world-class department and I'm sure you have a bright future ahead of you. But I urge you to withdraw your applications from the remaining schools, see the posted link for some inspiration. There are a lot of waitlisted folks out there (and folks who will be waitlisted) who feel exactly the way you did after being rejected from Arizona. I applied as a theorist so none of this applies to me. Now go celebrate your amazing UNC acceptance!!!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Theory007 said:

Congratulations - wonderful news! You've gotten into a world-class department and I'm sure you have a bright future ahead of you. But I urge you to withdraw your applications from the remaining schools, see the posted link for some inspiration. There are a lot of waitlisted folks out there (and folks who will be waitlisted) who feel exactly the way you did after being rejected from Arizona. I applied as a theorist so none of this applies to me. Now go celebrate your amazing UNC acceptance!!!

 

 

 

Thanks for the info and I will definitely do this later today ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pcc123 said:

Also accepted in UNC this morning. Honestly was really surprised but can't be happier. Seems like this is going to be a big week of hearing from places

Also within the American subfield?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, UNC sends their acceptances out (typically) with personalized contact from POIs. All the admissions decisions were made last week, but they will likely trickle out for a while. 

 

*Am UNC grad student. 

 

**Also, PM me with questions about UNC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FL407 said:

Thanks for the info and I will definitely do this later today ?

Hey I hate to go against the grain here but I'd really recommend against pulling out of all other schools before you know definitively about funding, especially if Vanderbilt is at play (because it's a $$$ private school with money to give out). You never know if you'll be able to leverage it to get a better stipend, or if some other unexpected stuff happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Hey I hate to go against the grain here but I'd really recommend against pulling out of all other schools before you know definitively about funding, especially if Vanderbilt is at play (because it's a $$$ private school with money to give out). You never know if you'll be able to leverage it to get a better stipend, or if some other unexpected stuff happens. 

Agreed! Would wait before withdrawing till you get final decisions and you know for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, StrengthandHonor said:

FYI, UNC sends their acceptances out (typically) with personalized contact from POIs. All the admissions decisions were made last week, but they will likely trickle out for a while. 

 

*Am UNC grad student. 

 

**Also, PM me with questions about UNC. 

Does that mean if I haven't heard anything from UNC yet I shouldn't panic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, humanpinata said:

Does that mean if I haven't heard anything from UNC yet I shouldn't panic?

Don't panic. 

 

UNC also does go to the wait-list, so don't panic until it's April 14th. Good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Hey I hate to go against the grain here but I'd really recommend against pulling out of all other schools before you know definitively about funding, especially if Vanderbilt is at play (because it's a $$$ private school with money to give out). You never know if you'll be able to leverage it to get a better stipend, or if some other unexpected stuff happens. 

I also 100 percent agree. Not to sound like an ass, but you shouldn't jeopardize your future success to help other people get acceptances. Wait it out and see what other options you have. You're obviously a competitive applicant and shouldn't settle on the first acceptance in case you have other amazing options in store for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FL407 said:

Woke up to an acceptance email from UNC this morning and am still in complete shock.  I applied just because, and honestly never expected to get in, especially after being rejected from Arizona two weeks ago on what I imagine was the first round of cuts.  Still waiting on Texas, Vandy, UC Davis, and Minnesota but I don't think I can pass up UNC.

I'll be American with a focus on behavior/psychology.

Congratulations- did you get the offer after an interview? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any insights or news about UCSD, Princeton, or NYU for American? They announced roughly around this time last year and hope to hear from them soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, diekuge said:

Does anyone have any insights or news about UCSD, Princeton, or NYU for American? They announced roughly around this time last year and hope to hear from them soon!

Princeton American acceptances are already out. Waiting on NYU and UCSD and those should hopefully be soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Princeton American acceptances are already out. Waiting on NYU and UCSD and those should hopefully be soon. 

Do you have a guess for why rejections haven't been sent out yet? Wisconsin-Madison and Princeton both seem to notify rejections a week or more after acceptances. And it's not like they were still deliberating after the first wave of acceptances were sent out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, humanpinata said:

I also 100 percent agree. Not to sound like an ass, but you shouldn't jeopardize your future success to help other people get acceptances. Wait it out and see what other options you have. You're obviously a competitive applicant and shouldn't settle on the first acceptance in case you have other amazing options in store for you.

My advise to FL407 is based on the assumptions that he 1. has a funding offer hand and 2. that none of the remaining schools compare in ranking and quality to UNC making it unlikely that UNC will add to its offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.