CSULB MSW fall 2019

Jerusalem

Hey, I wanted to start a thread to share stats and acceptance/rejection timelines. 

I am currently applying to CSULB, CSULA, and CSUDH. Cal state long beach is my top choice. I am ready to turn in my application as soon as I get my ID. 

My overall GPA is 3.1 and my last 60 unit GPA is 3.5. 

I only have one Social work related work experience but I have worked there for 3 years. I have also worked as a research and teaching assistant for 2 years. Hopefully, that will help. 

On 10/8/2018 at 10:45 PM, Jerusalem said:

Hey, I wanted to start a thread to share stats and acceptance/rejection timelines. 

I am currently applying to CSULB, CSULA, and CSUDH. Cal state long beach is my top choice. I am ready to turn in my application as soon as I get my ID. 

My overall GPA is 3.1 and my last 60 unit GPA is 3.5. 

I only have one Social work related work experience but I have worked there for 3 years. I have also worked as a research and teaching assistant for 2 years. Hopefully, that will help. 

Good luck!!  

Hi! I am applying to CSULB and CSUF, but CSULB is my first choice.

I have a 3.1 GPA for undergrad, and a 3.9 GPA for my first MS (in Psychology from CSULA).

I have almost 5 years experience working in the non-profit field, and want to get my MSW so I can get licensed (I can't get a licence with my first MS) and move up in the non-profit world. 

I am hopefully going to finish my personal statements this weekend and turn in my applications by the end of the month.

Fingers crossed for us all :-)

11 hours ago, jlryan1988 said:

Good luck!!  

Hi! I am applying to CSULB and CSUF, but CSULB is my first choice.

I have a 3.1 GPA for undergrad, and a 3.9 GPA for my first MS (in Psychology from CSULA).

I have almost 5 years experience working in the non-profit field, and want to get my MSW so I can get licensed (I can't get a licence with my first MS) and move up in the non-profit world. 

I am hopefully going to finish my personal statements this weekend and turn in my applications by the end of the month.

Fingers crossed for us all ?

Hey:) Good Luck to you too! 

You have a really good GPA. And I thought you can get licensed with MS in psychology. I am currently doing my undergrad in psychology.  Have you gotten your ID from CSULB? 

On 10/10/2018 at 11:15 PM, Jerusalem said:

Hey:) Good Luck to you too! 

You have a really good GPA. And I thought you can get licensed with MS in psychology. I am currently doing my undergrad in psychology.  Have you gotten your ID from CSULB? 

Thanks!  My first MS was on track to a PhD, and I didn't take all of the required classes to register with the licensing board.  So, I have to start over, but that's okay.  

I haven't gotten my ID yet, I submitted the application on CalApply on Saturday, so I expect I will get my ID soon enough.  

Where are you currently at for your undergrad?

On 10/12/2018 at 3:21 PM, jlryan1988 said:

Thanks!  My first MS was on track to a PhD, and I didn't take all of the required classes to register with the licensing board.  So, I have to start over, but that's okay.  

I haven't gotten my ID yet, I submitted the application on CalApply on Saturday, so I expect I will get my ID soon enough.  

Where are you currently at for your undergrad?

Oh that sucks! I am currently at CSUSM. 

I applied to CalApply on October 3rd and still nothing. 

Hey everyone! 

I am applying for MSW program at CSULB, CSUF, and CSULA, with Long Beach being the number one choice.

I am finishing my MA in psychology this spring, from CSUF,  and have a 3.81 GPA, 2 exceptional LOR and one pretty good one, but only one year or so of various related experiences. 

I am superrrrrr nervous about all of this stuff, so I figured I would stick around here and see what you all have to say! I applied via Calstate Apply on October 2, and have only received my ID from CSULA. I am hoping to turn in all my applications next week, possibly the week after!

Let’s hope for the best y’all ?

Hi everyone!  

I just got an email from CSUF that says I will get an email in a week from the university with my CWID.  Nothing from CSULB though.

I went to an info session at CSUF and was pretty impressed with the program. 

Keeping my fingers cross for everyone :) 

Hi there! I am a senior Psychology student at Cal State Fullerton planning to apply to MSW programs this fall. I plan on applying to CSUF, CSULB, CSUSM, and UCLA. UCLA would be the dream- but all programs have caught my attention! My long term goals are to become a LCSW. Here are my stats:

3.25 Overall GPA, 3.75 last 60 units

I've provided ABA therapy for kids with Autism and other disabilities for 3 years. I am also a Parent Consult, so teaching the parents ABA therapy for 1.5 years. I work with the kiddos and take data on their behaviors, cognitive skills, social skills, communicational skills, etc. 

I am a Youth Mentor with the Mental Health Association of OC. I help my client with goals provided by her therapist and write reports on her progress. Goals include self-esteem, assertion, communication, personal growth, etc. 6 months experience

Peer Mentor for the psychology department here at CSUF. I have office hours and help students with course material, hold study skills workshops, help with job searching/resume building. I am also the co-editor of the psychology newsletter. 

I  am also a member of 2 psychology related clubs.

I've been working hard on my personal statements trying to illustrate all my skills and experiences. Planning to submit my applications mid-November. I am hoping for the best, and sending you all positive vibes as we go through this process together!! 

Edited by AMiscione

On 10/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, AMiscione said:

Hi there! I am a senior Psychology student at Cal State Fullerton planning to apply to MSW programs this fall. I plan on applying to CSUF, CSULB, CSUSM, and UCLA. UCLA would be the dream- but all programs have caught my attention! My long term goals are to become a LCSW. Here are my stats:

3.25 Overall GPA, 3.75 last 60 units

I've provided ABA therapy for kids with Autism and other disabilities for 3 years. I am also a Parent Consult, so teaching the parents ABA therapy for 1.5 years. I work with the kiddos and take data on their behaviors, cognitive skills, social skills, communicational skills, etc. 

I am a Youth Mentor with the Mental Health Association of OC. I help my client with goals provided by her therapist and write reports on her progress. Goals include self-esteem, assertion, communication, personal growth, etc. 6 months experience

Peer Mentor for the psychology department here at CSUF. I have office hours and help students with course material, hold study skills workshops, help with job searching/resume building. I am also the co-editor of the psychology newsletter. 

I  am also a member of 2 psychology related clubs.

I've been working hard on my personal statements trying to illustrate all my skills and experiences. Planning to submit my applications mid-November. I am hoping for the best, and sending you all positive vibes as we go through this process together!! 

Hi! You have great experience.  I think you have a great shot at UCLA, but I know how competitive it is, so it's smart to have other options.  And at the end of the day, it's all the same degree :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I turned in my application on 11/16/18. 

Stats: Applied to Advanced Standing program / CSULB alumni GPA 3.4 - Social Work

Experience: 2 yrs housing case management with women who experience homelessness. 

For those who turned in their applications, have you receive any type of notification yet?

Good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 8:49 AM, Bevster said:

Hello,

I turned in my application on 11/16/18. 

Stats: Applied to Advanced Standing program / CSULB alumni GPA 3.4 - Social Work

Experience: 2 yrs housing case management with women who experience homelessness. 

For those who turned in their applications, have you receive any type of notification yet?

Good luck to everyone!

Hi! Did you get a notification yet?  I turned mine in on 11/19, and got my notification on Monday evening.  Good luck!

Hey Guys, 

I turned mine in very early, Monday, October 15th. Received an email from MSW that Friday saying that they have received my application. I was the second person to turn in the application to MSW. I received an email from the University on November 7th that my application is complete. Another email from the University on November 15th that my application has been sent to the department. I should be one of the first people to hear back from them because I was the second to turn in my application. Hopefully, I hear back from them before Christmas. Will update you guys. 

Hey,

I have applied to CSULB, UCLA, CSULA, CSUN and CSUDH in order of preference, but honestly I would be happy with any program :) . All programs have responded to me that my application is complete except CSULA. I find the GET portal "self service center" to be  a little confusing. Can someone share how to view application status? I am thinking of calling them Monday just to see if they received my application. 

I graduated with a BA in English from UCLA. My cumulative GPA is 3.7 (major 3.8). I am also a community college transfer and my GPA was 3.5 there so cumulative for CSULB came to about 3.6 but the rest of the schools that ask for last 60 units is 3.7. I have worked in students services field at my community college, a language school administrator, a Swahili  language teacher, and currently work in customer service. They are human services fields but not necessarily social work.

I am quite nervous and excited at the same time. I wish all of you good fortune.

Sent in my application on 11/19/18. I only received an email that my application was received. 

- I worked at a alcohol/drug rehab with teenagers for two years. Did my internship there and was hired immediately.

- I was a counselor at a foster group home for a year.

- I’m currently a Behavior Therapist working with kiddos who are diagnosed with autism for about 9 months. 

- I just got hired to be a Case Manager for rapid housing working with the homeless population. 

I’m extremely nervous and hope I hear back from CSULB soon!

Planning to drop off my application on 12/10 when I visit campus with a friend, but so so scared and overwhelmed! I'm also applying to UCLA's joint program in Asian American Studies/MSW for child and family wellbeing. 3.28 GPA and going on 4 years of experience at non-profit organizations in program development, in classrooms as a teaching intern, and helping lead a youth group every Friday night. Finished my BA in Critical Diversity Studies at the University of San Francisco last December... Fingers crossed for everyone!

On 11/28/2018 at 11:24 AM, jlryan1988 said:

Hi! Did you get a notification yet?  I turned mine in on 11/19, and got my notification on Monday evening.  Good luck!

Did you mail/drop off the packet on 11/19? I did too but no response yet

8 hours ago, Ayely said:

Did you mail/drop off the packet on 11/19? I did too but no response yet

Hi! I mailed it on 11/19.  I just have to send one more transcript and they should start reviewing my application, so hopefully I hear if I am in or not soon! :)

I hope you get a response soon!

14 minutes ago, jlryan1988 said:

Hi! I mailed it on 11/19.  I just have to send one more transcript and they should start reviewing my application, so hopefully I hear if I am in or not soon! :)

I hope you get a response soon!

Do you mind sharing what exactly your notification said? TY

2 minutes ago, Ayely said:

Do you mind sharing what exactly your notification said? TY

The subject was "CSULB School of Social Work - 2019 MSW Application" and the body said that my application was received by the School of Social Work, with reminders about applying to CSULB as well as to the department.