2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

33 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@LetsGetThisBread @Moods I would defiantly contact the rep! I would mention that you have been selected by a company x but I dont know if you are considered yet to be a full fellow yet due to not getting accepted yet by a university. I would defiantly contact them thought, the worst that will happen is that they ignore you email. What I did once I found out that I was selected by a company is that I put that in my personal statement

Do you think it's a bad idea to contact the grad admissions person for the specific departments I applied to as well? Telling them that I have been selected? Or do you think telling the GEM Rep is good enough?

@Moods I would contact the GEM rep and ask them how to proceed they may have a better understanding of what to do. Well at least I would hope so. They could always contact the department or give you their information to contact them. The only fear that I have with contact specific departments is that they may not know what the GEM Fellowship is.

5 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@Moods I would contact the GEM rep and ask them how to proceed they may have a better understanding of what to do. Well at least I would hope so. They could always contact the department or give you their information to contact them. The only fear that I have with contact specific departments is that they may not know what the GEM Fellowship is.

Thanks! That's a good point.

3 minutes ago, becs_granola said:

question, where would the accept/reject button be on the gem page regarding internship?

It was about a month ago when I accepted, so I don't remember all that well. I think there is a link at the top of the page that takes you to where you accept/reject, like @ray92 said.

@K Alex Sorry I should have been a little more clear, updated it and sent it to the schools that I have not applied to yet. I applied to one school before getting selected and I just contacted the gem rep and uploaded a statement on the application under misc.

14 hours ago, ray92 said:

Thank you so so so much for this information. Though I got selected weeks ago, only after seeing this from you, I wrote this email to the GEM rep at one of my preferred schools: 

Dear Dr. Rep's Name,

I hope this finds you doing well. I’d like to inform you that I have been selected as a GEM Fellow by an employer. It’s so exciting! Since I haven’t heard from SCHOOL NAME yet about my application decision, I wanted to know if you have any advice on how to proceed with this new development.   

I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
MY NAME

Literally 13 minutes after I sent my email, I get this reply from the GEM Rep:

Congratulations, MY NAME. This is excellent news! Let me get back to you with an update from our end. 

Exactly 31 minutes after I sent a similar email to another GEM Rep at another one of my preferred schools, I got this reply back: 

MY NAME, congratulations!  This is wonderful news for you.  I just dropped a note to critical MY MAJOR NAME faculty.  I will track the status of your application and keep in touch with you. In the meantime, just let me know what I can do to assist you! Once again my sincere congratulations to you!!

WOW my excitement barometer just went so high. I'm so grateful for this forum and the way we're assisting each other. 

If you've been selected by an employer, I can't accentuate enough how important it is that you do what user ray92 recommended to do.

43 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@sirTintin Did you send the email through GEM or did you get the email from GEM and used a personal email?

I did NOT send the email through GEM (I don't recommend sending through GEM). I used my personal email. In the past I've gotten their emails by just doing a google search of their names plus university name. But luckily for these schools, I had received solicitation emails last year encouraging me to apply to their programs because I had applied to GEM. I had responded to those emails last year and established some rapport with the GEM Reps who sent those emails. So for this situation, I just used the same email chain so that they had context of who I was and I just changed the subject. 

Edited by sirTintin

@sirTintin That is great! I went through GEM thinking that they will respond? Just so everyone knows, I did go through GEM website to contact the GEM rep and I did here back from the rep a day later stating the same thing as sirTitin! Best of luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, sirTintin said:

I did NOT send the email through GEM (I don't recommend sending through GEM). I used my personal email. In the past I've gotten their emails by just doing a google search of their names plus university name. But luckily for these schools, I had received solicitation emails last year encouraging me to apply to their programs because I had applied to GEM. I had responded to those emails last year and established some rapport with the GEM Reps who sent those emails. So for this situation, I just used the same email chain so that they had context of who I was and I just changed the subject.

@sirTintin Congrats on those amazing replies!

31 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@sirTintin That is great! I went through GEM thinking that they will respond? Just so everyone knows, I did go through GEM website to contact the GEM rep and I did here back from the rep a day later stating the same thing as sirTitin! Best of luck to everyone!

I actually did a combination of the two last night. Most of them I emailed directly since I already had their emails already after asking for the fee waivers. However, there were three that I used to contact through the GEM website. One of those people have already contacted me and three other people that I contacted directly have replied back as well. So, I think both ways is fine, but I think if you already have their email, you might as well email them directly. 

Also, as mentioned above by these two wonderfully helpful people, I highly suggest contacting the GEM Reps about getting an internship. Two of them are telling the departments for me and the other two are telling me to update the department about the internship. They all seem very excited for me, which not only makes me feel good but also gives me some hope that I might still have a chance of getting in!

I am really thankful for all the people who have helped me during this entire process, especially you all on this specific forum! Thank you! Good luck everyone, and to those waiting to hear back from employers, I hope you hear something soon!

@sirTintin @Moods  I also sent them a similar email where I updated them on having been selected by (employer), and I got similar results. I would recommend to try to find who you have had correspondence with as most of you probably got fee waivers to apply to those schools. Some of them weren’t the designated GEM rep for that school, and here’s the email I sent them:

Dear (person),

I wanted to update my (department) application, as I have been recently selected as a GEM fellow in collaboration with (employer). If you require additional information about this fellowship, I can gladly provide you that.

Thank you,

I’m so happy to see everyone succeed, Lets all get this bread!

4 hours ago, ray92 said:

Does anybody know how many GEM Fellows are accepted per school? I assume it depends on funding so do larger schools accept more?

That is a good question. I am guessing it depends on a lot of things. Funding, the amount of people coming into the departments, colleges, and the university that got the GEM Fellowhsip. Also, the size of the school might play a role, but who knows. I feel like funding plays the most important role when it comes to this.

@Moods That is what I am thinking as well. I just hope that I get in to a program ya know, I have not had an interview yet I am getting a little nervous but school accept PhD candidates without interviews right?

12 hours ago, ray92 said:

@Moods That is what I am thinking as well. I just hope that I get in to a program ya know, I have not had an interview yet I am getting a little nervous but school accept PhD candidates without interviews right?

I understand your nerves. Yeah, I think schools accept students without interviews. Some schools don’t even conduct interviews and even those that do, I feel like they don’t always do interviews with students they accept. I am sorry all of this waiting has been making you super nervous. It all really sucks, and I hope you hear some good news soon. The fact that you have an employee sponsor should be reassuring and I am sure you are have a great application as well! Also, I hate to say this but I think we still have about a month or even more to hear back from schools. I wish the process would go quicker, but we are literally at the mercy of how long they take to make decisions. Good luck, my friend! 

On 1/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, thejellybean said:

So @ anyone who has been selected by an employer, how long did it take for you guys to hear back about being selected? Not sure who I saw saying that they saw their status change immediately after the call, but did it take anyone else longer? I had a phone call last week that I thought went well and I sent a thank you e-mail, but I haven't heard anything else about it since. I'm dyin here ;-;

Hey everyone! Update on my situation: I was finally selected! It took a few weeks but I think this is because my company was looking at a lot of potential GEM Fellows. I got the impression that maybe they were expecting me to send them a follow-up saying that I was interested in the position, so I would give that as advice for anyone who has been contacted by their employer but not yet selected.

I was also admitted to my first choice school (yay! :D) so I guess that means I'm a fellow once I accept the offer?

Good luck again everyone! Hope it works out for all of us in the end.