2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

8 minutes ago, thejellybean said:

Hey everyone! Update on my situation: I was finally selected! It took a few weeks but I think this is because my company was looking at a lot of potential GEM Fellows. I got the impression that maybe they were expecting me to send them a follow-up saying that I was interested in the position, so I would give that as advice for anyone who has been contacted by their employer but not yet selected.

I was also admitted to my first choice school (yay! :D) so I guess that means I'm a fellow once I accept the offer?

Good luck again everyone! Hope it works out for all of us in the end.

Wow, congrats! This is awesome! Yay! Happy for you! Yeah, this means you are officially a fellow now! 

Hearing everyone's great news is so encouraging. I hope we all find success in this journey. 

Just sharing my frustration abit...I've been 'released'  after being 'held' for almost a month. I still have hope though. I just wish I could be a fly in the wall during this selection process. 

@BGMFG Do not loose hope!!! It is not over until you receive an email stating that it is!

For ones that have been accepted to a graduate program, did the school email you and then did this appear in egem or did you check egem and it was changed without an acceptance email?

3 hours ago, BGMFG said:

Hearing everyone's great news is so encouraging. I hope we all find success in this journey. 

Just sharing my frustration abit...I've been 'released'  after being 'held' for almost a month. I still have hope though. I just wish I could be a fly in the wall during this selection process. 

I agree with @ray92 on this one. I am sure it is a frustrating seeing everyone get sponsors. That used to be me. Heck, that used to be all of us and I feel like there are definitely still people waiting to get sponsorship. You should definitely still have hope!

1 hour ago, ray92 said:

For ones that have been accepted to a graduate program, did the school email you and then did this appear in egem or did you check egem and it was changed without an acceptance email?

For me, Boston University told me of my acceptance. I then checked GEM the next day and it said that I have been accepted there. I think some people have gotten an acceptance on GEM without receiving an acceptance email from the school yet, though.

40 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@Moods Congrats! on getting accepted! Was there a contract waiting for you when you logged on?

No, sadly. I think it can take awhile for the contracts to be written, I hope. I just got the letter of acceptance from the school, so we shall see!

@Manufan5a similar thing happened to me. I was on matched immediately, then was on held for almost a month and was finally released a few days ago. It was confirmation for me that the employers were looking. I am still hopeful that someone will reach out though. Glad to hear that someone else was on the same boat. I also have still yet to hear from a university.

So I was just invited to “Grad Visit Day” for a school that I applied to, but have not heard anything from them of whether or not I got in. Does anyone know what this might be and/or have been invited to a similar event without being accepted. 

1 hour ago, Letsgethisbread said:

So I was just invited to “Grad Visit Day” for a school that I applied to, but have not heard anything from them of whether or not I got in. Does anyone know what this might be and/or have been invited to a similar event without being accepted. 

Congrats! I too was invited for a Grad Visit Day but didn't hear if I was accepted first. After doing more digging and reaching out to the grad students in the department, this is all a good sign that you are pretty much "accepted." If you reach out to the professors you mentioned in your app they may have already pointed out that they scheduled a time to talk with you on the visit day and that you'd be a great fit for their lab (as was my case). 

I spoke with grad students also and they said acceptance after visit days are normally 50%,.. or close to %100 (barring you aren't a weirdo or something)...

I know that is a weird range, but that's literally what a grad student from the department told me, hahahah! 
#dontbeweird

7 hours ago, _theSCHOLAR_ said:

Congrats! I too was invited for a Grad Visit Day but didn't hear if I was accepted first. After doing more digging and reaching out to the grad students in the department, this is all a good sign that you are pretty much "accepted." If you reach out to the professors you mentioned in your app they may have already pointed out that they scheduled a time to talk with you on the visit day and that you'd be a great fit for their lab (as was my case). 

I spoke with grad students also and they said acceptance after visit days are normally 50%,.. or close to %100 (barring you aren't a weirdo or something)...

I know that is a weird range, but that's literally what a grad student from the department told me, hahahah! 
#dontbeweird

Thanks for the info, so did u end up getting accepted shortly after the event? 

Let me know if this happened to anyone else.... So when you filled out the application some application asked if I had a fellowship so I selected GEM but others did not. So then my question will be how would that specific department know that we need funding for the fellowship?

5 minutes ago, ray92 said:

Let me know if this happened to anyone else.... So when you filled out the application some application asked if I had a fellowship so I selected GEM but others did not. So then my question will be how would that specific department know that we need funding for the fellowship?

Yeah, that’s a good question. So, when I emailed the GEM representatives and sometimes the departments, I mentioned that a GEM Member University must sign a "GEM University Support Agreement" for the GEM Fellowship to be confirmed. I think after getting accepted into a program, you can contact the department and tell them of the situation related to this fellowship. I hope this helps. I also had applications that asked if I applied to fellowships and then some didn’t, and I didn’t even think of that until your brought it up, so this is really all I could think of. 

23 hours ago, BGMFG said:

@Manufan5a similar thing happened to me. I was on matched immediately, then was on held for almost a month and was finally released a few days ago. It was confirmation for me that the employers were looking. I am still hopeful that someone will reach out though. Glad to hear that someone else was on the same boat. I also have still yet to hear from a university.

I've been "released" for over a month. Just checked today and my status changed to "matched"! No contact as of now but I'm also glad that it seems like employers are still looking for candidates with the deadline so close. 

@K Alex from the frequent questions pdf:

Q10: When will I hear if I received a full GEM Fellowship?
A10: The GEM Fellowship is a rolling Selection process. A handful of candidates have been
Selected already. We expect selections to continue until mid-February. We will send a
final decline notice out by March 15, 2019. Please stay engaged via email and your eGEM
status page for notifications.

I think they will send out the majority of rejection letters on March 15th but a few people will could still be in the running after if a company has not selected all GEM Fellows

@Mataharii Congratulations on getting accepted to schools! Did any of the schools give you a contract? I assume  positions requiring background checks picked their Fellows due to someone failing then they have enough time to pick someone else

Edited by ray92

On 2/2/2019 at 7:53 PM, ray92 said:

@Mataharii Congratulations on getting accepted to schools! Did any of the schools give you a contract? I assume  positions requiring background checks picked their Fellows due to someone failing then they have enough time to pick someone else

Thanks! I've only really heard from one regarding GEM (Minnesota), the rest are GEM members but I haven't heard anything about the fellowship from them. On the GEM website it says "at least one university has accepted you and agreed to sponsor you" but I'm not sure which one(s).