2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

2 hours ago, Mataharii said:

Thanks! I've only really heard from one regarding GEM (Minnesota), the rest are GEM members but I haven't heard anything about the fellowship from them. On the GEM website it says "at least one university has accepted you and agreed to sponsor you" but I'm not sure which one(s). 

Congrats from me as well! You can find you which school has agreed to sponsor you by clicking on this link: Planning to Attend:   Undecided (tell us where you're going)

It is located just below the list of graduate schools you applied to. Hope that helps! And just make sure you don't save your selection if you haven't made a final decision about where to attend.

Hello Folks!

I just wanted to reach out to you guys so you do not freak out too much. About me: I was a GEM university fellow in 2014 and ended up at an ivy league school.  So this is what I remember:

1. There is usually a first round of selection of GEM fellows, sort of, then

2. You will be asked as time goes on to contact employers to ask if they would sponsor you from the GEM list on the website, at least that is what we did in 2014,

3. For GEM applicants that receive offers of admission to their universities, you can ask your rep to fill out the GEM contract form

Note: They may be some applicants that will be rejected after March 15th but they try to help secure either a Full GEM or Ass GEM fellowship. If all else fails => rejected from GEM fellowship. At least, that was my experience in 2014. Things might have changed since then. I dunno. Hope this helps.

Just now, ray92 said:

@Manifestin2010 So I am selected by an employer and I am worried that I will not be able to get into a program. So far I have been rejected from one program out of 6... Can universities that we did not apply to reach out to us through egem?

Usually if you have a GEM profile, you will hear from GEM member universities. Even if you decide to go to a university you have not applied to yet, they have to be a GEM member university for you to have the fellowship. I suggest you try some GEM universities that have later deadlines. Some are still accepting, especially Columbia University MS programs.

So I got an email that I got 'Accepted by the department' and they have recommended my admission, does anyone know what this means? 

Also, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum, it honestly is where I go to with any concerns and it has really helped to reduce my anxiety throughout this whole process. 

2 hours ago, Letsgethisbread said:

Also, for GEM select peeps have any of you attended the webinars on Fridays, I seem to always miss them. 

In order to become a GEM select did you have to get accepted by a program and an employer? I am currently selected by a company and just waiting on the results about admissions.

I have a question so when you self report the "Congratulations you have been selected by a university" appears at the top but has this happened to anyone that has not self reported and the school just updated egem?

3 hours ago, Letsgethisbread said:

Also, for GEM select peeps have any of you attended the webinars on Fridays, I seem to always miss them. 

Webinars on Fridays? How do you become a GEM select? I have been accepted by an employer and also have been accepted by a university (no university agreement yet, though?). 

1 hour ago, ray92 said:

I have a question so when you self report the "Congratulations you have been selected by a university" appears at the top but has this happened to anyone that has not self reported and the school just updated egem?

When I was accepted to Boston University and the Congrats message showed up on the top before I self-reported and it said I was accepted next to the school before my self-report as well.  

4 hours ago, Letsgethisbread said:

So I got an email that I got 'Accepted by the department' and they have recommended my admission, does anyone know what this means? 

Also, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum, it honestly is where I go to with any concerns and it has really helped to reduce my anxiety throughout this whole process. 

I think the Graduate School has to approve you before you can be accepted, but the department is telling the Graduate School office for that school that they want you. That’s awesome! 

Same! This forum has been so great! 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:32 PM, Moods said:

Webinars on Fridays? How do you become a GEM select? I have been accepted by an employer and also have been accepted by a university (no university agreement yet, though?). 

Sorry I meant to say ‘selected by an employer’ and for the webinars I got an email detailing that there would be one every Friday here’s the email:

The purpose of this email is to introduce you to me, Antonio Storey the Fellowship Administrator.  My main focus is to walk you thru the fellowship application process and get you confirmed a GEM Fellow.

I would like invite you to a conference call held on Fridays  2pm - 3pm eastern standard timestarting February 1st.

No need to register for the call. 

Edited by Letsgethisbread

17 hours ago, Letsgethisbread said:

Sorry I meant to say ‘selected by an employer’ and for the webinars I got an email detailing that there would be one every Friday here’s the email:

The purpose of this email is to introduce you to me, Antonio Storey the Fellowship Administrator.  My main focus is to walk you thru the fellowship application process and get you confirmed a GEM Fellow.

I would like invite you to a conference call held on Fridays  2pm - 3pm eastern standard timestarting February 1st.

No need to register for the call. 

Oh okay, sorry for freaking out on you! Just all of this anxiety, you know. 

And yes, I actually did a conference call in January, so that’s reassuring. I am glad they are still doing it for other people. I mentioned on this forum what I learned on the conference call I attended a few weeks ago, but I will include it here since you haven’t been able to catch one: 

“It was mostly a Q&A call, but at the beginning they mentioned the things you need to do in order to confirm yourself as a GEM Full Fellow, such as send in your transcript, post the professional photo, get a letter from your employer and give it to GEM, and accept a university. All of that stuff you can find in the email they send a few weeks ago. Also, a couple answers they gave that I found useful.

1. If the schools that you applied to haven't verified that you are an applicant by Feb. 1st, contact GEM and let them know. They will try to get you verified, but there are no guarantees. Also, a week or so before this due date, you can contact the GEM Rep for that specific school to ask about your application's verification.

2. GEM is stackable with other fellowships. You have to ask the other fellowships you may receive if they can be combined with the GEM Fellowship.

3. The only way you can become a full fellow is that you have both a employer sponsor and a university sponsor. If you don't have an employer, then you still have a chance of getting the other two fellowships. However, if you don't have a university sponsor, you can't get any fellowship and have to give up your internship.

4. For the first year, PhD students get a $16,000 stipdend from GEM, which will be given directly to the university and will be paid out to the student in two terms. The university gives you the money the form they want, such as cash, check, or direct deposit. The university can give you more money than that stipend amount your first year, but it all depends on the university and your agreement with them. Years 2-5, you will receive a stipend from the university only. If your a full fellow,  tuition and fees will be paid for those fives years.

5. Make sure that you stay in good standing with your university. For PhD students, the minimum GPA you need in order to keep the GEM Fellowship is 3.0, however the minimum GPA you need to stay in good standing with your university may be higher. If you aren't in good standing with the university, you can't keep the fellowship.”

I am not sure if they changed anything or addressed different things in the other conference calls, but I hope this helps some! 

Hey guys, so far it’s looking like I will not be employer sponsored, sadly. But I did finally get my first admission decision and I was accepted! If I go to the gem app and select the link next to “Planning to Attend”, at the top of the page it says “At least one university has indicated that you’ve been accepted and they are willing to sponsor you”. 

Just wondering is that a weird and confusing default message on that page or does that actually mean this school said they would sponsor me?