2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

18 hours ago, ray92 said:

So I have been accepted to a program and they did mention GEM in the letter, so then my question is if a school accepts without funding then are they offering you a GEM Fellowship? Since the school has an obligation to fund you?

I would contact someone at the school to make sure that they will fund you through the GEM fellowship and how much funding you will get after the first year. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to funding. You definitely want to ask them about it. 

On 2/14/2019 at 11:46 AM, ray92 said:

Does anyone know if the funding given through the university is independent of GEM?

It is - you're still considered a GEM Fellow, but your institution pays for you directly. 

So for schools statuses, I've noticed the following in my case. Listed in order of occurrence:

Did Not Apply, Pending Verification, Applied, Accepted, Willing to Admit as GEM Fellow.

So currently for one of my schools it says Willing to Admit as GEM Fellow. This school started out with Did Not Apply last year, then changed to Pending Verification, then changed to Applied, then changed to Accepted and finally now it says Willing to Admit as GEM Fellow. And yes, I've already received an official admission letter from them. Hoping this helps someone!

9 minutes ago, sirTintin said:

So for schools statuses, I've noticed the following in my case. Listed in order of occurrence:

Did Not Apply, Pending Verification, Applied, Accepted, Willing to Admit as GEM Fellow.

So currently for one of my schools it says Willing to Admit as GEM Fellow. This school started out with Did Not Apply last year, then changed to Pending Verification, then changed to Applied, then changed to Accepted and finally now it says Willing to Admit as GEM Fellow. And yes, I've already received an official admission letter from them. Hoping this helps someone!

I just saw one of mine that says 'Denied Admission', lmao - I just had an interview at that school this weekend.....the system is broken (though I am scared, lol).

19 minutes ago, drfigue said:

I just saw one of mine that says 'Denied Admission', lmao - I just had an interview at that school this weekend.....the system is broken (though I am scared, lol).

I'm sorry to hear that. But it looks like You've also been admitted to other excellent universities. I have no doubt that you will do superbly well at any one of those schools! I'm rooting for you!!!

Edited by sirTintin

1 hour ago, sirTintin said:

I'm sorry to hear that. But it looks like You've also been admitted to other excellent universities. I have no doubt that you will do superbly well at any one of those schools! I'm rooting for you!!!

Thank you, but I don’t think I have been rejected...just yet. Haha! What I mean is that the system (GEM) seems to be a bit crazy.

I have been accepted to all the universities I applied to, but none of them mentioned GEM in their letters. 

As for my employer status it says "matched" (and it's been like that for over a month now, I think). No employers have ever contacted me for an interview, though. 

Is anyone else in this situation?

Edited by DataKitsune

3 minutes ago, DataKitsune said:

I have been accepted to all the universities I applied to, but none of them mentioned GEM in their letters. 

As for my employer status it says "matched" (and it's been like that for over a month now, I think). No employers have ever contacted me for an interview, though. 

Is anyone else in this situation?

I was in this situation till literally two days ago when I got an email asking for an interview. So employers are definitely still looking!

Hope y’all are doing well and I’m happy to see that some of you have still been getting company sponsorships, don’t loose hope!

On a side note does anyone know what attire you should wear to grad visitation day? And for those of you that have attended, do you know if you’ll have time to roam around the campus and meet some current students? 

Edited by Letsgethisbread

18 hours ago, Letsgethisbread said:

Hope y’all are doing well and I’m happy to see that some of you have still been getting company sponsorships, don’t loose hope!

On a side note does anyone know what attire you should wear to grad visitation day? And for those of you that have attended, do you know if you’ll have time to roam around the campus and meet some current students? 

At the ones I've been to they will usually specify if something more formal is preferred. Otherwise I usually try to err on side of comfortable business casual. Usually there's been time to explore on your own too in my experience! Hope you enjoy yours :)

Does anyone know if the stipend that comes with the GEM Fellowship is in addition to the financial offers that schools state in acceptance letters or if if is already included in the figures they present?

19 hours ago, Letsgethisbread said:

I just came back from a sponsored school visit/interview and everyone wore business casual. I would advise against being too casual as the interview is usually the first, physical impression that a school gets of you. In my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry--especially if the school has not sent out formal admission letters. Hope this helps.