2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

43 minutes ago, wues95 said:

Does anyone know how long it takes GEM to confirm the Fellowship once you sign a university support agreement? and does the offer link disappear after signing?

I have no idea, but when I signed the university support agreement, my offer link also disappeared. I guess they are reviewing it????

On 2/12/2019 at 6:34 PM, ray92 said:

So I have been accepted to a program and they did mention GEM in the letter, so then my question is if a school accepts without funding then are they offering you a GEM Fellowship? Since the school has an obligation to fund you?

I have a similar concern. I was admitted to my top choice PhD program, but the admission letter stated that funding was not guaranteed. On the eGEM portal, my status for this university is still "Applied" and not "Willing to Admit as a GEM Fellow", which has appeared for a couple of other universities I have been admitted to. I have been trying to get in contact with the university's GEM representative for some time now to see when I might hear back about this, but they haven't responded to my emails. I have contacted through eGEM and regular e-mail.

I called the GEM consortium to ask if I could expect to receive a GEM offer from this university now that I have accepted an employee sponsorship. They said that there is a possibility that, even though I have been admitted, the university might not want to sponsor me as a GEM Fellow.

I don't know what the likelihood of this is happening, but I do hope I get a response soon given that April 15th is just two weeks away ?. On the other hand, I received the admissions offer not too long ago, and the two GEM offers I do have on eGEM are from universities that admitted me a very long time ago, so maybe it just takes a while to process.

@thejellybean I would contact the GEM representative of the university. They should have more information about this, you can find the reps on GEMs website. If you are worried about the deadline of April 15th you can always ask the schools for extensions for decisions. The school that I applied to on eGEM still states Applied even though I talked to them and stated they want me as a GEM Fellow, so I would take the eGEM with a grain of salt since it is based on how responsive the rep is.

Best of luck

Has anyone come across this situation? I applied to a school and I am still waiting to hear about a decision from that school. Yesterday I log on to the GEM Fellowship application site, and I see the following on top: "Congratulations! One or more universities have indicated that they have accepted you and are willing to sponsor you. We need you to let us know which university you intend to matriculate through."

I double check with the school website and it still says "No decision".

Should I wait it out, or contact someone? Who would be the best person/organization to contact about this?

15 minutes ago, MusicallyCursed said:

Should I wait it out, or contact someone? Who would be the best person/organization to contact about this? 

I would possibly contact the GEM Representative at that particular organization. Maybe tell them about the situation and they can see if there has been updates on the school's decision.

For those of you that have already gone through the process: after we sign the offer link and it disappears, is there anything else we have to do? I was holding off on accepting an offer from the department until the GEM side of things went through. Also a little disappointed that the 16K is not in addition to the base stipend lol.

Edited by TITX

1 hour ago, TITX said:

For those of you that have already gone through the process: after we sign the offer link and it disappears, is there anything else we have to do? I was holding off on accepting an offer from the department until the GEM side of things went through. Also a little disappointed that the 16K is not in addition to the base stipend lol.

I think the only other thing you have to do is accept your school's offer.

@becs_granola Send a follow up email. I'm sure these administrators get a ton of emails and were getting pretty close to the deadlines. 

'Hi, I just wanted to follow up on my previous email about GEM. I would love to matriculate at X and was interested in being a GEM recipient at your institution. Please let me know if there are any documents or other requisites that I can provide you. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon. '