2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

1 hour ago, ray92 said:

Is everyone a PhD or a M.S? Just talked to GEM and they stated that usually if your a PhD candidate and made it this far you are about 95% to get sponsored by a company or a national lab.

Honestly, that's really encouraging news. I'm applying to Phd programs with a focus on AI and autonomous systems.

4 hours ago, _theSCHOLAR_ said:

Honestly, that's really encouraging news. I'm applying to Phd programs with a focus on AI and autonomous systems.

Though tempting, I wouldn't get my hopes up based on that. I looked at past admits from previous years and there are plenty of GEM Associate Fellows (meaning no company sponsored them) doing PhDs. See below and scroll down to GEM Associate Fellows section and see how many PhDs there are. Though I'm not sure if they just didn't want a company to sponsor them or what.

http://www.gemfellowship.org/students/2018-gem-fellows/

http://www.gemfellowship.org/students/2017-gem-fellows/

http://www.gemfellowship.org/students/2016-gem-fellows/

I got admitted into my M.S. program back in Spring since I'm doing my M.S. at the same school as my B.S. I also already have a very good job secured for next summer, which will be my only summer since I'm doing my M.S. in 1 year. From the PDF I got from Thursday's failed webinar, it sounds like now we're waiting for employers and universities to get back to us. So in my case, do I have to contact the rep at my university and try to negotiate funding even though I'm already accepted? And then contact GEM and ask them to make me an Associate Fellow? The process is has me a bit confused.

1 hour ago, rootatroot said:

I got admitted into my M.S. program back in Spring since I'm doing my M.S. at the same school as my B.S. I also already have a very good job secured for next summer, which will be my only summer since I'm doing my M.S. in 1 year. From the PDF I got from Thursday's failed webinar, it sounds like now we're waiting for employers and universities to get back to us. So in my case, do I have to contact the rep at my university and try to negotiate funding even though I'm already accepted? And then contact GEM and ask them to make me an Associate Fellow? The process is has me a bit confused.

I believe that if you get selected by one of the GEM employers you must do an internship with the employer that selects you. If the employer you have now is a GEM partner, you just have to get in contact with their office to work everything out. If you don't do the internship with the employer that selects you as a result of the process we are waiting for now, you basically turn down the fellowship. 

9 hours ago, cf6049 said:

I believe that if you get selected by one of the GEM employers you must do an internship with the employer that selects you. If the employer you have now is a GEM partner, you just have to get in contact with their office to work everything out. If you don't do the internship with the employer that selects you as a result of the process we are waiting for now, you basically turn down the fellowship. 

I thought I could be an Associate Fellow and choose to not do the internship?

@rootatroot I believe you can do that! Is you college part of the GEM certified colleges? I am trying to get mine to become one but I do not know how long it takes I started a graduate program to become one. I am part of a graduate program already but it is not GEM approved I do not mind switching programs it just annoying I did not know about GEM until this year.

1 hour ago, ray92 said:

@rootatroot I believe you can do that! Is you college part of the GEM certified colleges? I am trying to get mine to become one but I do not know how long it takes I started a graduate program to become one. I am part of a graduate program already but it is not GEM approved I do not mind switching programs it just annoying I did not know about GEM until this year.

Yes, my University is a GEM school! I am not sure what the process would be to get your school to join GEM, probably takes a while...

2 minutes ago, sirTintin said:

I haven't heard anything about that. Is this an official update gotten from GEM or just hearsay?

They sent an email out not too long ago. 

For those that are already doing there PhD (I am a third year) is there anything we need to submit to GEM for confirmation that our university will support us if we get the fellowship? I have verbal confirmation but we are not sure if we have to submit something in writing. 

I actually didn't get an email and I registered for both. Wasn't able to connect to yesterdays call either so I am guessing the call really did get canceled again. Can someone please confirm? Thanks

6 hours ago, _theSCHOLAR_ said:

Nice!
Congrats!!
Nope, I haven't heard back. My status was on Held, but then went back to Matched lol ?

Thank you! Have you had an interview or has anyone reached out? I bet most industry companies may wait until after the holidays. What companies did you list?

On 12/9/2018 at 2:59 PM, ray92 said:

Can you elaborate on this process? I am also in a similar situation as @rootatroot and emailed GEM about it as well. The conversation was as follows:

"""
Me: I was curious about GEM Associate/University Fellow. Is it possible to be only considered for these two forms of the Fellowship? Additionally, if I accept a non-GEM internship for the summer, would I be required to renege that position in order to pursue the GEM Fellowship?

GEM: No, all applicants must be available for employer selection. 
"""

So I am a little confused, but it seems you must accept the offer if a GEM Employer gives you an offer.

18 hours ago, ray92 said:

Thank you! Have you had an interview or has anyone reached out? I bet most industry companies may wait until after the holidays. What companies did you list?

No one has reached out yet. I list these companies:

1st Choice: Amazon

2nd Choice: SAP America

3rd Choice: The Aerospace Corporation