2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

@drdrake125 From what I understand is that if you are already accepted into a MS or PhD program that is GEM approved you can get the requirement that you need to apply to 3 school  waived as long as the school agrees to fund you. You still need to do an internship with a GEM approved employer but If you do not get one you can do one outside of GEM as long as it gets approved. What I don't know is if you get picked by a GEM employer and  a company outside of GEM, if you can decline the GEM and pick the non GEM employer. I would assume not because GEM probably wants you to pick a company that is GEM approved.

@_theSCHOLAR_ Those are great companies. I assume that Amazon will wait until after the holidays to start picking just because its the holiday season and GEM notifications go out mid March so they have time. Who I think are picking now are national labs, just because it probably takes time internally to get everything squared away since they are government funded lol.

@ray92 Thanks! Hopefully this is good news! The companies were:

1. Lawrence Livermore National Lab

2. The Charles Stark Draper Lab

3. I can't remember the last one (is that bad??). I had a hard time choosing, but it was either the Oak Ridge National Lab, United Technologies Research Center, or Sandia National Lab.

45 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@cf6049 Just the next steps and the deadlines of when to complete them.

Maybe the email was triggered from having attended Thursday's webinar?

Edited by cf6049

18 hours ago, ray92 said:

That is a great list. Are you a applying for a PhD? If so I bet you will get one of the national labs

Thanks! I hope so! Working in a national lab is my dream job! And yeah, I am applying for a PhD! Also, congrats on being selected. I also didn't get an email like the others.

Also, have you all being getting emails from schools because you are a GEM applicant? I've gotten a few this week and I wish they had sent these out a little earlier. I would apply to more schools for free if it wasn't the middle of December already.

Just now, Moods said:

Also, have you all being getting emails from schools because you are a GEM applicant? I've gotten a few this week and I wish they had sent these out a little earlier. I would apply to more schools for free if it wasn't the middle of December already.

I'm in the same exact boat. My recommmenders are out of pocket already and the emails are so close to the deadlines I'm like why wait till now to send. I can't do anything about it. Sad! 

@cf6049 Ohhh wait, I am dumb. I know what ppt you are talking about. I guess my anxiety is causing me to panic a bit. Sorry about that!

Also, silly question for anyone to answer: do your GRE scores appear red under the GRE Information section for the GEM homepage? I was hoping it is like that for everyone instead of it meaning my scores are really bad.

Edited by Moods 2.0

1 hour ago, Moods said:

@cf6049 Ohhh wait, I am dumb. I know what ppt you are talking about. I guess my anxiety is causing me to panic a bit. Sorry about that!

Also, silly question for anyone to answer: do your GRE scores appear red under the GRE Information section for the GEM homepage? I was hoping it is like that for everyone instead of it meaning my scores are really bad.

Nah, you're fine. I'm pretty darn sure it is like that for everyone until they ask you to send them the official ones. That's my assumption!