2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

7 hours ago, ray92 said:

I accepted the company and I checked the egem portal and they just had me re-accept the company.

That's odd, but as long as it says accepted under the employer status, then I am guessing all is good. Did your company ever contact you after being accepted?

On 1/2/2019 at 1:01 PM, ray92 said:

Anybody else had to resign a new acceptance online form for the company sponsor?

I haven't had to resign the acceptance form. My employer also hasn't reached out to me at all (hoping for something soon).

Also, I haven't received anything about a rescheduled webinar.

Hi has anyone been accepted to a GEM sponsored university yet? I got an acceptance today but no word about GEM in the offer letter, however, after I updated that university to accepted on the GEM profile I was then able to click on a planning to attend link below the university section where it then said: 

University Acceptance

In order to complete your application, we need to know which university you intend to matriculate through. At least one university has indicated that you have been accepted and that they are willing to sponsor you.

If you choose to go to a university that sponsors you, and an employer agrees to sponsor you, you will become a GEM Fellow.

Which university to you plan to attend?

----

could this mean that the university is willing to sponsor me or is this the default after self reporting acceptance? Huge difference for me since I'm only aiming for university fellow haha, thanks for any help guys. 

Edited by K Alex

Do yall think the gov. shutdown is affecting the review of GEM applications at gov. affiliated institutions..? #forevermatched ?

@cf6049 I do not think this will affect GEM due to the departments that are feeling the shutdown are:

Housing

Agriculture

National Park Services

Most of the companies that are government affiliated are DOE which should have funding. So this should not impact the GEM Fellowship and getting sponsored by a government affiliated institution.

Edited by ray92

On 1/3/2019 at 11:16 PM, ray92 said:

Has your company not contacted you at all?

Nope, they haven't contacted me at all. I never even did an interview. I think I may contact them through the GEM website.

I also haven't heard anything about a seminar either.

@ray92 same . . one of my LOR writers hasnt even submitted for 4 of the schools i applied to whose deadline was 12/15 . . :(

Edited by cf6049

@cf6049 Yeah that happened to me last year. I even sent out reminders and he never replied it is kind of disappointing when that happens. I wonder if GEM could help if he did not get accepted but have a company sponsor I wonder if they have some pull at some University

@ray92 ayy my LOR writer always replies saying she'll submit it by the end of the day but she never does and it kills me because she supervised my research. I was counting on her to be my strongest LOR . . & dunno how much influence GEM has. 

13 hours ago, ray92 said:

Also I know its early but I am getting a little nervous about getting accepted to a graduate program.

Ditto. I just want to know if I got in or not so I can figure out what I'll be doing the next couple of months.